OT: Philadelphia Phillies season part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
anigif_enhanced-16847-1403808307-10.gif

The Phils are Mankind. Somebody stop the damn match.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I’m not sure what’s uglier, the game or those horrendous uniforms but either way I think I’ve seen enough for one night.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Remember that time Klentak and MacPhail got extensions even though they went into this season with such trash pitching that everyone knew that it wasn’t going to get the job done?

I ‘memba.

But hey, we’ll always have that opening series sweep where the Phillies were going to be “the best team in Philadelphia sports history.”

Reactions: Rebels57

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Remember that time Klentak and MacPhail got extensions even though they went into this season with such trash pitching that everyone knew that it wasn’t going to get the job done?

I ‘memba.

But hey, we’ll always have that opening series sweep where the Phillies were going to be “the best team in Philadelphia sports history.”

It isn't all bad...the guys they brought in are still relatively young...so it is not like they had to win it all this year. Pitching will obviously be the focus of this offseason. In a way, it was unrealistic to expect them to completely remake the entire team in one offseason. At least next year they will have had more time to address the pitching and the new faces this year will be better adjusted.

I am not sure what the time table for Bohm is...but seeing how so many young players are coming in and making an impact around the league, seeing him over at 3B would be real nice next year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It isn't all bad...the guys they brought in are still relatively young...so it is not like they had to win it all this year. Pitching will obviously be the focus of this offseason. In a way, it was unrealistic to expect them to completely remake the entire team in one offseason. At least next year they will have had more time to address the pitching and the new faces this year will be better adjusted.

I am not sure what the time table for Bohm is...but seeing how so many young players are coming in and making an impact around the league, seeing him over at 3B would be real nice next year.

I don't know, it's pretty bad, I don't know how they fix this for next year. You can't just have Nola and then Jake as a solid #4 and hope that Eflin is just injured although if he is then wtf is he doing out there as he clearly said he doesn't feel right after his previous start and Kapler said he's fine which is odd cause the guy who's body it is says he's not.

I really thought Pivetta would take a step forward this year but instead you have to wonder if he can be anything more then a pen arm and even then it's like the guy just doesn't get it, he doesn't seem to trust his stuff and that won't work in any inning if he tries to hard to pinpoint when that's not his game.

VV I also don't see as a guy you can go into next season and hope he can be the #5, even when he has a good outing it's still the Vinny special of 95+ pitches through 5 innings. That said if the pen were stronger you could live with that if he was more consistent.

The problem is there just isn't much in the system right now for arms. Howard could be a legit stud behind Nola and he's not that far away from the sounds of it. If he can step in at some point next year (I assume he'll start in LV unless things take a turn for the worse in Reading) but getting him up and if he is the real deal then that would of course be huge and change things in a big way.

There's Damon Jones but he's got to work on his command, liked what I saw from him last year in Lakewood and he's been a fast riser, as a LHP throwing 96 is going to get noticed but he's got to cut down on the walks and stop throwing so many balls. That said he should be in LV to start next season unless he blows them away at spring training.

There's also Medina, he's got electric stuff but has been inconsistent in Reading. I assume he'll start in LV as well, so they should have a heck of a staff there at least to start the year.

There's JoJo, EDLS, Rosso, Parkinson and others but we'll see if they can step up next year or not. I really don't think Irving, Eickhoff are the answers. I like Rosso but not sure his stuff is good enough and JoJo Romero was terrible in LV to start but did better in Reading and now is back in LV. He seems to start off poorly and then improve by a good bit. I know Keith Law is a fan of his stuff.

In the pen they had a number of guys do really well in Reading but struggled when they hit LV. Dohy, Leftwich, Brogdon, I could see Gilbert getting a look at some point this year as he's been pretty good in LV this year.

Bohm I think they will see how he looks in spring, if things are going well then they send him to LV, if not then back to Reading, maybe a call up later in the year if things are going as planned.

The one guy that's going to get hyped up in the system is Juan Aparicio, he's currently on fire in NYPenn league, leads the league in hitting, etc.. but has gone from really good to white hot of late. I assume they would have moved him to Lakewood already but don't want to move Marchan up who's a legit prospect in his own right but if you follow the crosscutters beat reporter he thinks Aparicio is one of the best pure hitters he's seen on the Crosscutters and I've followed his work for many years so I trust that he knows what he is talking about.

But then again the hype last year was on Luis Garcia who destroyed the GCL at 17 but has really struggled in Lakewood in what was a very aggressive placement. Not saying he won't be very good or not, just that it's tough to get too excited until you see them move up a few more levels past rookie ball and low A at least.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
That guy ain’t right.

I did a rotation with someone who's good buddy was his teammate at UCLA and my friend hung out with Bauer a more than a few times. He told me by all accounts he's the weirdest, most aloof person you'll ever meet. Not mean or untrustworthy or anything, just a bizarre affect on him. Hardest, most dedicated worker he's ever met, he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad