OT: Philadelphia Phillies regular season part 2;

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Can't say I'm a big fan of Kapler, would have left Nola in as he is your best pitcher. Phils are lucky to be where they are when you have your 3 and 4 hitters struggling so badly this month. When Harper is up I just assume he's going to K, 13 years is going to end up way worse then Ryan Howard's contract. Hope the owner sells enough swag to make up for it.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, I'm very much over Kapler. I have little doubt that this team could spiral in the same way that they did last year. There's a reason he was voted the coach that players least want to play for in the league. He doesn't inspire confidence in the team, is way too complacent and the pitching decisions make no sense. We've blown way too many late game leads.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Meh, Kapler is trying to get through with a patchwork bullpen, right now he's without Hunter, Robertson, Arano and Ramos, that's half your projected pen in April. I think he's over managing them a bit, but if you don't trust anyone, you try to play the matchups to get an edge.

And Nola is not himself, 4 walks? He's been struggling with command and his changeup, and his curve has been inconsistent.

Neris did not have his good splitter but hung in there.

As far as Harper, that's his MO, BB, K or dinger. I never thought he would repeat his one big season, but he's still a 4-5 WAR player in RF, where he's shown plus defense this year (just never play him in CF again).

I use $7-8M per WAR (the $9-10M used by some sites is inflated by the "winner's curse"), and that would be $28-40M value, well above his salary at this point in his contract.

Harper, like Hoskins, will have hot and cold stretches, but he'll end up with 110-130 walks, .375-.400 OBP, .850-.900 OPS.
He's not Trout, but he's a good addition to a team with money to burn

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I mean if you have a shit bullpen, you just have a shit bullpen; I’m not really sure what more people want a manager to do, they have very little impact on the actual game, aside from who plays where.

Reactions: SnS

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I mean if you have a **** bullpen, you just have a **** bullpen; I’m not really sure what more people want a manager to do, they have very little impact on the actual game, aside from who plays where.

The point is that, with a 7-0 lead and your ace on the mound, he didn't have to go to the bullpen that early and start playing matchups.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
And then when he leaves him in and he gets shelled like he did earlier in the year people bitch too. Let’s face it. Nola hasn’t been very good this year. He lost his command. When you lose your command against that team, they crush you.

Reactions: SnS

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The point is that, with a 7-0 lead and your ace on the mound, he didn't have to go to the bullpen that early and start playing matchups.
His ace should stop throwing 100 pitches in 5 innings then; Nola had just given up 3 runs that inning and already walked 4 people.

It’s Gabe’s responsibility to make sure our ace doesn’t throw 120 pitches over 6 innings because he’s scared our bullpen can’t handle keeping a 4 run lead over 4 innings.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And then when he leaves him in and he gets shelled like he did earlier in the year people ***** too. Let’s face it. Nola hasn’t been very good this year. He lost his command. When you lose your command against that team, they crush you.

His ace should stop throwing 100 pitches in 5 innings then; Nola had just given up 3 runs that inning and already walked 4 people.

It’s Gabe’s responsibility to make sure our ace doesn’t throw 120 pitches over 6 innings because he’s scared our bullpen can’t handle keeping a 4 run lead over 4 innings.

Fair points.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Nola has been much better since his poor start to the season and was coming off likely his best start of the season. Kapler already pulled some odd shit by sitting his 4 best pen arms 2 games before, just don't trust his judgement with when to pull guys or when to leave them in. Hope they didn't make a mistake in letting Kranitz go and promoting Young to his spot. To me winning the division is a must, and I think they will but just hate seeing them give winnable games away.

Guess VV is going to come back to the rotation since it sounds like he is ready and while it could be Pivetta, it doesn't sound like he got the message as he's still walking too many in LV and throwing too many balls. He's getting a lot of K's down there but he's got to learn to trust his stuff.

Also sounds like Quinn will be back in a little as he's going to rehab next week. With Kingery doing well, if Quinn can play well and stay healthy which of course is asking a lot and not likely to happen but if so then Franco and Herrera better get their shit together or they will be riding the bench more often then not. I really thought Herrera would have a big year but he just looks as bad as he did in the 2nd half last year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Greinke isn’t going to want to play in a big market with a fair portion of loud mouth idiots in the fanbase & media like Philadelphia, New York, Boston, etc.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't see Greinke but Minor makes a ton of sense and I'm loving the Rendon rumor. I know it's very unlikely but if the Nats are out of it by the end of June, would so love to get Rendon as long as it doesn't cost Bohm or Howard as I don't want them traded, maybe Medina as his stuff is sick but not sure he can put it together or not.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
TMac sucks until he's replaced by Murph and then I miss him.

Second-guessing bullpen micromanaging of games in September is equally silly.

not when you pull one of the best pitchers in baseball for average pen arms. Kapler has already cost them a few wins because he can't manage his bullpen properly.

Reactions: Jtown

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
TMac sucks until he's replaced by Murph and then I miss him.

not when you pull one of the best pitchers in baseball for average pen arms. Kapler has already cost them a few wins because he can't manage his bullpen properly.

Managing your starters' workload is pretty important long-term goal. Your assertion that Kapler has cost them a few wins is very dubious. At this point in the season it's extremely unlikely that managerial decisions involving bullpen usage has cost any team as much as 1.0 wins this season.

Kapler is way over his expected wins for his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad