Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): The Winning April edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Phillies were never going anywhere this season, it's always been about player development.
No reason to rush Crawford, why start the clock ticking when right now Galvis is the better player.
Williams needs time in AAA, while the OF in Reading is looking very good.

With Altherr returning, Goeddel looking like the real deal, and 4 legitimate OF prospects between AA and AAA, they'd be crazy to trade for an OF.

Alfaro is probably 2 years away from starting at C, Kingery 2-3 years at 2B, that pretty much fills in the holes. And a bunch of other guys are audtioning for roles, Valentin, Mora, et al.

Patience, reinforcements are on their way.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Phillies were never going anywhere this season, it's always been about player development.
No reason to rush Crawford, why start the clock ticking when right now Galvis is the better player.

With Altherr returning, Goeddel looking like the real deal, and 4 legitimate OF prospects between AA and AAA, they'd be crazy to trade for an OF.

Alfaro is probably 2 years away from starting at C, Kingery 2-3 years at 2B, that pretty much fills in the holes. And a bunch of other guys are audtioning for roles, Valentin, Mora, et al.

you are right phillies aren't going anywhere, so why not give a guy who is dominating minors a chance to see what he does at mlb level. He can't make the phillies any worse. If nothing he will gain experience and hopefully comfort and chemistry.

Id like to see the 2 pitchers come up as well, and send morgan down.

lets use this season to see what they can do.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Nothing like scooping someone off the waiver wire and plugging him into the 3 hole.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who is dominating in the minors?
Certainly not Crawford, who has a lot of learning to do.

Same with the young pitchers, for most pitchers, it's a lot easier to develop secondary pitches in the minors where you can get away with hanging a breaking ball or having a FB tail over the plate - in the majors they travel 400 feet.

There is simply no reason to rush players, the same holds for the Phillies as it has for the Flyers under Hextall.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Who is dominating in the minors?
Certainly not Crawford, who has a lot of learning to do.

Same with the young pitchers, for most pitchers, it's a lot easier to develop secondary pitches in the minors where you can get away with hanging a breaking ball or having a FB tail over the plate - in the majors they travel 400 feet.

There is simply no reason to rush players, the same holds for the Phillies as it has for the Flyers under Hextall.

I think you're scouting numbers too much. Most people who watch Crawford seem to think he's very close. Galvis is absolutely not the better player right now. Crawford shouldn't have much trouble hitting as well as Galvis and he's the much better fielder. The approach is already there with Crawford. Having more career walks than strikeouts in the minors should tell you that. Galvis has a flashy glove, but he lacks Crawford's range.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Galvis is a doping bum. He's was supposed to be a great fielder with no bat, like Rey Ordonez. Now he's just an ok fielder with no bat and one PED suspension.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Galvis is better than okay as a fielder; Crawford still needs to polish that part of his game. Is Crawford a better overall player right now? Maybe. But that doesn't mean he's not benefiting from being in AAA for awhile. We're not developing Crawford with just the hope that he'll be better than Freddy Galvis.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm not saying that Crawford should be called up, only that Galvis sucks. Tied for 6th at SS for most errors last season and was middle of the pack for fielding percentage. I know that these are not advanced stats so the internet will ignore them, but that is still pretty telling.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
There's been a lot of talk about how Galvis disappointed on defense last year, but it was disappointing because he established a higher standard in the past. He's been much better this year. Actually he's been on of the best defensive SS in baseball by just about any metric, old-school or advanced.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Galvis is better than okay as a fielder; Crawford still needs to polish that part of his game. Is Crawford a better overall player right now? Maybe. But that doesn't mean he's not benefiting from being in AAA for awhile. We're not developing Crawford with just the hope that he'll be better than Freddy Galvis.

Yes, Crawford is the better player right now. No question. His bat is at least equal and the fielding is much better. There's hardly any difference between AA and AAA. Crawford showed he could hit as well in AA as everywhere else he played in the minors. There's not really much else for him to prove. I've read that he still needs to learn how to drive his pitches, but his approach is very advanced. He doesn't need to be crushing everything to warrant a promotion to the majors. He's a shortstop with plus defense... Everyone who's following Crawford still think he's on track for a promotion over the next couple of months.

Galvis is still a bench player or maybe a second division regular at SS. His defense would play better at 2B and maybe he could start elsewhere in the infield in a pinch. Crawford has much, much better hitting upside. It's not even close. Right now Crawford's probably a first division regular at SS. All-star upside. He's the best and safest prospect in the farm by a ton.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Watched the game last night, Crawford got down 0-2 in his 3rd AB and drew a 10+ pitch walk. He doesn't swing at balls. Right now I think he's missing balls he's usually rips. I think his weight is shifting a little too early but the approach is great. He also made a Jeter-esque play in the hole, jump throw, and threw the runner out by 4-5 steps.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Yes, Crawford is the better player right now. No question. His bat is at least equal and the fielding is much better. There's hardly any difference between AA and AAA. Crawford showed he could hit as well in AA as everywhere else he played in the minors. There's not really much else for him to prove. I've read that he still needs to learn how to drive his pitches, but his approach is very advanced. He doesn't need to be crushing everything to warrant a promotion to the majors. He's a shortstop with plus defense... Everyone who's following Crawford still think he's on track for a promotion over the next couple of months.

Galvis is still a bench player or maybe a second division regular at SS. His defense would play better at 2B and maybe he could start elsewhere in the infield in a pinch. Crawford has much, much better hitting upside. It's not even close. Right now Crawford's probably a first division regular at SS. All-star upside. He's the best and safest prospect in the farm by a ton.

I agree about what Crawford could be, but not about what he is right now. His defense is not "much better" than Galvis' with the way Freddy has played this year. Crawford is still cleaning some thing up with his glove.

Offensively he's very likely better right now. Not as much power as Galvis but much better plate vision. Still, his inability to consistently drive the ball will cut into his effectiveness. You may have read the quote from Scott Proefrock about how he feels that Carl Crawford never developed the power he could have because he was brought to the majors too soon. He can develop that ability more in AAA while he sees how experienced pitchers will attack him.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind

A .250 average, 3 HR and 10 RBI in 100 at bats and apparently that means he's the real deal?

:help:

Also, Altherr hasn't even taken an AB yet, counting on him right now is premature

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
A .250 average, 3 HR and 10 RBI in 100 at bats and apparently that means he's the real deal?

:help:

Also, Altherr hasn't even taken an AB yet, counting on him right now is premature

Goeddel hit .288/.342/.452 in May. I'm not sure what the status of Altherr's recovery is but he's another guy that they'll want to give ABs to and see how he does. I think the point is that there's no sense acquiring a stopgap OF to help this season when there are young players already here who need the playing time.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
Goeddel hit .288/.342/.452 in May. I'm not sure what the status of Altherr's recovery is but he's another guy that they'll want to give ABs to and see how he does. I think the point is that there's no sense acquiring a stopgap OF to help this season when there are young players already here who need the playing time.

I get that they need playing time and I completely agree.

But there's no way you can say somebody is the real deal after 100 at bats and average to below average stats

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ

I get that they need playing time and I completely agree.

But there's no way you can say somebody is the real deal after 100 at bats and average to below average stats

wasted I disagree with you, I could careless what he did in april. 2 things that have helped goeddel, 1 the coaching staff saw a mechanic in his hitting that was wrong and they have fixed it.

Since that adjustment goeddel has improved, the biggest thing to look at with the phils is who is improving, ,and worth keeping.

so far goeddel has shown that. lets hope he can keep it going

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
nice to see joseph now hitting a HR vs a righty and he went right with it didn't try and pull it.

I also notice, he is getting comfortable, and by playing his bat speed / timing is now in nsync. I hope this now makes joseph the FT 1st baseman and only play howard to spell joseph a day off every 3 weeks or so.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
asche nearly hit an hr, good to see even though he flew out, his timing is slowly coming back.

goeddel, nice job nearly had a inside the park HR, his level swing was great gets a triple, and hernandez, much more relax and just going with the pitch, not trying to pull.

just glad to see the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad