OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2013 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Anyone else hear Dustin Brown on WIP earlier today? He does not sound like he has the mindset to be a big leaguer (at least he didn't in this interview). The guys were asking him about why he thought he was sent down and what he has been working on and he was just kind of like, "whatever man, I don't make the calls, I just do my best." And they asked what he thinks about making the team this year and if there is any pressure and it was a similar "whatever man, if they send me down they send me down." This is the opposite of what DeFratus said the other day on the show when they asked him similar questions and he basically said "this is it, I have to make the team and do everything I can to stay up, etc." That's what I would expect from a prospect who is really on the verge of making or breaking his career, not Brown's response.

I was a big Dom Brown supporter from the get-go and always defended him to friends (and probably people on here), but hearing him today makes me worried. Still pulling for him but that interview really just rubbed me the wrong way.

I didn't hear the interview, but honestly it sounds like what most athletes would say. I don't know how many times I've heard a guy say some variation of "all I can control is how I play, I don't make the decisions so if I do what I can things will work out". I worry more about De Fratus saying what he said, because he's probably not going to make the team with all the vets they brought in. How hard is he going to take it if he goes back to AAA?

It's time to just let Brown play regularly and see what he's got. Not that it should matter, but it's nice that he's off to a hot start in ST so the team might actually give him that chance.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I didn't hear the interview, but honestly it sounds like what most athletes would say. I don't know how many times I've heard a guy say some variation of "all I can control is how I play, I don't make the decisions so if I do what I can things will work out". I worry more about De Fratus saying what he said, because he's probably not going to make the team with all the vets they brought in. How hard is he going to take it if he goes back to AAA?

Really? I feel the complete opposite. I would think if there is a highly regarded prospect (or even a not-so-highly regarded prospect) asked about making the team his response would be that he is going to do every possible thing he can to make the team and remain on the roster and work on anything he can to get there, not "whatever, we'll see what happens and if they send me down they send me down." DeFratus had the response I would expect. Brown seemed to either not care or act like the question was beneath him for some reason. Neither of which are responses I would expect from a guy who has the type of attitude I would be looking for. For instance, I can't imagine Chase Utley or Roy Halladay giving a response anything close to that.

It's time to just let Brown play regularly and see what he's got. Not that it should matter, but it's nice that he's off to a hot start in ST so the team might actually give him that chance.

Oh absolutely. Like I said in my OP, I was always a huge DB fan, this interview just rubbed me the wrong way. I think it is clear he has the talent and tools to be in the outfield for a while, its just a matter of actually putting those things to use.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Really? I feel the complete opposite. I would think if there is a highly regarded prospect (or even a not-so-highly regarded prospect) asked about making the team his response would be that he is going to do every possible thing he can to make the team and remain on the roster and work on anything he can to get there, not "whatever, we'll see what happens and if they send me down they send me down." DeFratus had the response I would expect. Brown seemed to either not care or act like the question was beneath him for some reason. Neither of which are responses I would expect from a guy who has the type of attitude I would be looking for. For instance, I can't imagine Chase Utley or Roy Halladay giving a response anything close to that.

I think I see where you're coming from. Again, I didn't hear the interview so maybe his exact words and tone made it come off differently. He's never seemed like the most intense guy in the interviews I have seen with him. But just from reading your post it seems more like he's saying he's going to worry about playing his best and not about what Rube and Charlie are going to do.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

A lot of baseball players are more laid back than other athletes. Guys like Utley and Halladay are different. I see a bunch of guys that are Ryan Howard like. Just kind of chill, and probably wouldn't say something you'd expect to hear from say a football player. Baseball isn't really a fiery, emotional sport.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think I see where you're coming from. Again, I didn't hear the interview so maybe his exact words and tone made it come off differently. He's never seemed like the most intense guy in the interviews I have seen with him. But just from reading your post it seems more like he's saying he's going to worry about playing his best and not about what Rube and Charlie are going to do.

A lot of baseball players are more laid back than other athletes. Guys like Utley and Halladay are different. I see a bunch of guys that are Ryan Howard like. Just kind of chill, and probably wouldn't say something you'd expect to hear from say a football player. Baseball isn't really a fiery, emotional sport.

Fair enough. I hope he makes it though because he has so much talent. Also something else he was talking about in the interview was that it was difficult to play in front 40k+ fans in Philly, another thing you don't want to hear from one of your top prospects. Either way, if he can be our Right Fielder this year, I would be more than happy. I think the important thing is that he doesn't platoon. He has to play every day. Maybe not a full 162, but at least like 140ish. If they platoon him with Young or Ruff or anyone else it is only going to exacerbate the situation. Either stick him in right all year or trade him.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Fair enough. I hope he makes it though because he has so much talent. Also something else he was talking about in the interview was that it was difficult to play in front 40k+ fans in Philly, another thing you don't want to hear from one of your top prospects. Either way, if he can be our Right Fielder this year, I would be more than happy. I think the important thing is that he doesn't platoon. He has to play every day. Maybe not a full 162, but at least like 140ish. If they platoon him with Young or Ruff or anyone else it is only going to exacerbate the situation. Either stick him in right all year or trade him.

Totally agree about playing time. He hit lefties well enough in the minors, and even though he struggled in the majors against lefties last year (in all of 26 PAs) his career major league numbers against lefties aren't bad for a player who's just starting off. It's ridiculous that we even have to worry about this with a player like Brown, but hopefully the Phils realize that giving a large portion of his at-bats to Mayberry or, even worse, Delmon Young, is not a good idea.

mm6492

Dec 9, 2007
Hamels got rocked but it was an All Star team and it's Spring training. Pitchers are more focused on working on specific things then dominating the competition.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
As much as I loathe the Delmon signing, and think he's a pretty terrible player, I don't see anything wrong with anything in that article. I really couldn't care less if a player isn't a good interview for the media guys, but I do find it funny that something so meaningless will help to turn public opinion in Philly, which I think is largely still in his favor, around on him. As if being a terrible OF and baserunner while being a very mediocre hitter isn't enough.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
As much as I loathe the Delmon signing, and think he's a pretty terrible player, I don't see anything wrong with anything in that article. I really couldn't care less if a player isn't a good interview for the media guys, but I do find it funny that something so meaningless will help to turn public opinion in Philly, which I think is largely still in his favor, around on him. As if being a terrible OF and baserunner while being a very mediocre hitter isn't enough.

This normally wouldn't bother me but given his history of being such a POS... I figured he'd at least try to endear himself.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I was down in Clearwater last week to watch some games. Everyone looked pretty good to me. Personally, I'm just tired of the pessimism from fans. I mean obviously they aren't stacked and they are older but when healthy, I think the team can compete for the division, maybe more.

Brown has had an awesome ST, Utley and Howard are actually playing, Hamels still looks dominant. Only big question mark is Halladay but I'm willing to believe that he's going to have an ok season.

I guess, I still believe the Phillies can win it all. You get hot at the right time and stay healthy and anything can happen. I'm just tired of all these fans just ******** all over this team. Some guy was out there heckling Utley while they were out taking batting practice while I was at the game. People telling me that Howard is worthless and Brown a bust. Comments on forums, twitter, and under articles calling Halladay and the Phillies liars after Roy came out cause of the stomach flu.

Seriously, I see the faults, but it's not that bad. I'm just sad, that's all, that most people won't even give these guys a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad