OT: Philadelphia Fusion

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
The people ripping this need to give their head a shake. It's the same as rooting for a sports team. I get it. If you were born prior to the early 80s you didn't grow up in an environment where this was even considered as a possible thing. But, right now e-sports as a whole is a booming thing. Video games as a whole generate more $ than, books, movies and television combined. E-sports is the next huge thing. It has been for a while but this is going to become mainstream very soon. You are already seeing things like rocket league and heroes of the Storm, NHL (EA sports) tournaments being broadcast live on ESPN and such. These are sports that pack out stadiums in Asian countries and it's coming here.
Tbh I'm not all that into the fusion as I'm not a fan of overwatch as a whole. But e-sports as a whole is coming fast. Get used to it

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
The people ripping this need to give their head a shake. It's the same as rooting for a sports team. I get it. If you were born prior to the early 80s you didn't grow up in an environment where this was even considered as a possible thing. But, right now e-sports as a whole is a booming thing. Video games as a whole generate more $ than, books, movies and television combined. E-sports is the next huge thing. It has been for a while but this is going to become mainstream very soon. You are already seeing things like rocket league and heroes of the Storm, NHL (EA sports) tournaments being broadcast live on ESPN and such. These are sports that pack out stadiums in Asian countries and it's coming here.
Tbh I'm not all that into the fusion as I'm not a fan of overwatch as a whole. But e-sports as a whole is coming fast. Get used to it

I agree - I think it's a great thing even though I hate Overwatch as a game.

CS:GO matches are actually extremely fun to watch closer to the mold of a real sport IMO. The way the action unfolds is conductive to a compelling broadcast

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
I just love the fact the Overwatch League uses actual cities to represent their teams, made it much easier for me to start supporting esports :)
Plus, the Fusion play a lot like bullies :)

Game 1 will be shown primetime friday night on ESPN. That is a pretty good time slot.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
What the **** is happening? I’m too old and don’t understand any of the nonsense you youngsters are rambling on about.

It's difficult even for people who play to follow everything that is going on. The visual effects are rather dense and non-specific and the maps are rather small and bunched up.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
but the production quality is amazing. They use multiple angles, replays, and great commentators to make it easy to pick up and follow the action. I have had plenty of people who have never heard of the game end up cheering for Philly by the end of the match :)

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Esports has “been coming” since the first Starcraft and MLG on the PlayStation OG Xbox. It will forever remain a niche sport. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have no problem with people enjoying eSports. It does not appeal to me personally though. I've tried to give it a shot. I got bored and turned on a game to play myself.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
I was at the finals this weekend even though philly lost it was an amazing experience. Far more energy in the crowd than any sporting event I've ever been too.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Esports has “been coming” since the first Starcraft and MLG on the PlayStation OG Xbox. It will forever remain a niche sport. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Idk about niche. Unless basketball and baseball are super niche and hockey is the darkest corner of niche.

60 million unique people watched the league of legends championship last year. And it has been coming since then. However since the rise of twitch it has become overwhelmingly popular

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad