Philadelphia Flyers Mount Rushmore

Select four players

• Total voters

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Why are people voting for Giroux and Howe? Giroux run with the flyers wasn't anything special, he was just there for a really long time and Howe didn't do anything special either. Leach, Kerr, LeClair and Recchi should all get more votes than Giroux and Howe as they actually did something special with the Flyers.

Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Why are people voting for Giroux and Howe? Giroux run with the flyers wasn't anything special, he was just there for a really long time and Howe didn't do anything special either. Leach, Kerr, LeClair and Recchi should all get more votes than Giroux and Howe as they actually did something special with the Flyers.

Howe and Kerr played on the same teams and no one thought Kerr was better

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Howe and Kerr played on the same teams and no one thought Kerr was better
Kerr holds the single season power play goals record! That's more impressive than anything Mark Howe ever did!

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
that a joke? 3 time runner up for the Norris and 3 time 1st team all-star.

Think before you post.

cus he was a better hockey player.
Sorry not trying to be rude or disrespectful. Just more of an emotional connection to Leach. Both fantastic players, and truly one shouldn’t be arguing for votes going one way or another

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
Absolute no-brainer:

Bobby Clarke
Bernie Parent
Eric Lindros
Bill Barber

For the life of me, I have no clue as the why Claude Giroux is a choice of so many on this site. Bill Barber is in the Hockey Hall of Fame, for Pete’s sake. He was arguably the best left wing of his era, and a was fabulous two-way player used in all situations, including left point on PP1, and the PK1 forward tandem. Additionally, he was a puck possession monster. If advanced metrics existed on those days, his would be through the roof. Incidentally, I rate him over Mark Howe mostly because of longevity with the team.

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Just to add re Mark Howe - during his tenure with the Flyers, he was 4th among all defensemen in votes for the Norris trophy (he finished behind Bourque, Coffey and Langway, but ahead of MacInnis, Leetch, Chelios, Stevens, Wilson, and Housley). He also finished 3rd in Hart voting (behind only Gretzky and Lemieux) in 1986. Howe was one the top two-way defensemen of his era. (The rudimentary data that we have from back then shows that he played a huge role in driving his team's goal differential when he was on the ice - comparable to players like Bourque and Pronger).

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Absolute no-brainer:

Bobby Clarke
Bernie Parent
Eric Lindros
Bill Barber

For the life of me, I have no clue as the why Claude Giroux is a choice of so many on this site. Bill Barber is in the Hockey Hall of Fame, for Pete’s sake. He was arguably the best left wing of his era, and a was fabulous two-way player used in all situations, including left point on PP1, and the PK1 forward tandem. Additionally, he was a puck possession monster. If advanced metrics existed on those days, his would be through the roof. Incidentally, I rate him over Mark Howe mostly because of longevity with the team.

Barber only managed one top 10 point finish, one top 10 assist and two top 10 goal finishes despite playing with an all time great center in Clarke. Don't get me wrong he was a good player, but people picking Giroux over him isn't some tragedy. Take away his two cups and I am not convinced he's in the hall ... Rick Martin for example had more top 10 finshes & made more AST's yet has not been inducted.

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
Barber only managed one top 10 point finish, one top 10 assist and two top 10 goal finishes despite playing with an all time great center in Clarke. Don't get me wrong he was a good player, but people picking Giroux over him isn't some tragedy. Take away his two cups and I am not convinced he's in the hall ... Rick Martin for example had more top 10 finshes & made more AST's yet has not been inducted.
Not surprised at your analysis, being that you looked up his counting statistics, rather than having actually watched him play. He was indeed the best left wing of his era which included Rick Martin, Steve Shutt, and Clark Gillies, and was a two-way and possession wiz. Giroux, not so much.

Last edited:

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
Clarke, Parent, Lindros, Hextall IMO

1st 3 are locked in, 4th is debatable.
Hextall, LOL. 🤣

He cost them at least one Stanley Cup in the ‘90’s, maybe two. Go look at the fifth game of the 1995 Eastern Conference Finals against the Devils with the score tied 2-2 with less than two minutes in the 3rd period, and observe the Claude Lemieux goal from right outside the Flyers’ blue line. Absolute horrific.

No, but your argument as “best left winger of his era” doesn’t hold as much weight if his competition for that spot isn’t strong.
One can’t help the era in which they play. How does the great Claude Giroux match up against the centers of his era?? 😂🤣

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hextall, LOL. 🤣

He cost them at least one Stanley Cup in the ‘90’s, maybe two. Go look at the fifth game of the 1995 Eastern Conference Finals against the Devils with the score tied 2-2 with less than two minutes in the 3rd period, and observe the Claude Lemieux goal from right outside the Flyers’ blue line. Absolute horrific.

One can’t help the era in which they play. How does the great Claude Giroux match up against the centers of his era?? 😂🤣

Centres are a deeper crew which is why comparing best left wing and a top 10 centre of respective eras is difficult. My point was merely that best left wing of his era is hard to quantify in a comparison and part of that is the competition at each position, but apparently you’d rather laugh like a clown than have a discussion so have at ‘er

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Not surprised at your analysis, being that you looked up his counting statistics, rather than having actually watched him play. He was indeed the best left wing of his era which included Rick Martin, Steve Shutt, and Clark Gillies, and was a two-way and possession wiz. Giroux, not so much.

This is a pretty bold claim to make considering he had as many (or fewer) 1st AST finishes as all 3 of them

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
Centres are a deeper crew which is why comparing best left wing and a top 10 centre of respective eras is difficult. My point was merely that best left wing of his era is hard to quantify in a comparison and part of that is the competition at each position, but apparently you’d rather laugh like a clown than have a discussion so have at ‘er
I forgot...you’re an EXPERT.

I must say, you Claude Giroux apologists are so quite amusing! All this effort to build up a guy who, as captain, led his team to the playoffs a whopping 4 seasons out of 11.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad