Post-Game Talk: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers Game 1 4/17/14

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
IMO looking back at the game, Stralman was the team's best defender in game 1.

To be successful you need to have mobile defenseman like McDonagh and Stralman.

So many Rangers fans can't wait to get rid of him, something tells me they'll miss him when he's gone.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Yep, Emery confirmed. Berube said Mason looked "tired" after practice. No concussion symptoms, but not in game shape yet.

AHB*

So many Rangers fans can't wait to get rid of him, something tells me they'll miss him when he's gone.

You're right. But this is a cap world we live in. You can't afford to pay all of your D-Men North of 3 Million. It's imperative we keep Staal. Stralman can be replaced much easier then any of our other top 3. He's been very good for us, but he is also the mos teasily replaced. On top of that, with the addition of Klein, it has made it that much easier, since we essentially already have an in house replacement.

Not a big deal from a Flyers standpoint. Emery played well in game 1. The team in front of him was responsible for the loss.

It's a huge deal. Emery stood on his head in Game 1 to give his team a chance. He's a backup goalie and a very mediocre one at that. He's much more prone to have a lapse with the more games he plays, then Mason who has been very steady most of the year.

Emery is not a good goalie, he's not even one of the better backups in the league. I'd argue he's actually one of the worse ones. The fact that he played great for one playoff game does not dis-spell this notion.

It's a huge advantage for us, which we better capitalize on again. Thank you, Pittsburgh.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
You're right. But this is a cap world we live in. You can't afford to pay all of your D-Men North of 3 Million. It's imperative we keep Staal. Stralman can be replaced much easier then any of our other top 3. He's been very good for us, but he is also the mos teasily replaced. On top of that, with the addition of Klein, it has made it that much easier, since we essentially already have an in house replacement.

It's a huge deal. Emery stood on his head in Game 1 to give his team a chance. He's a backup goalie and a very mediocre one at that. He's much more prone to have a lapse with the more games he plays, then Mason who has been very steady most of the year.

Emery is not a good goalie, he's not even one of the better backups in the league. I'd argue he's actually one of the worse ones. The fact that he played great for one playoff game does not dis-spell this notion.

It's a huge advantage for us, which we better capitalize on again. Thank you, Pittsburgh.

Actually he was basically arguing against that because Stralman is a MOBILE defenseman meaning he can skate the puck out of the zone without having to make a good first pass. Klein is definitely not that. Maybe Staal will be able to get back to this soon, but he hasn't done it nearly enough since coming back from the eye injury.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I'm not someone who worships advanced stats, but I don't want a top 4 D-man that constantly gets pinned in his own zone.

AHB*

Actually he was basically arguing against that because Stralman is a MOBILE defenseman meaning he can skate the puck out of the zone without having to make a good first pass. Klein is definitely not that. Maybe Staal will be able to get back to this soon, but he hasn't done it nearly enough since coming back from the eye injury.

While Stralman is certainly better at this and it suits his game more, I've been pleasantly surprised by how mobile Klein is. And as much as people seem to think Stralman is offensive, his stats this year were not any better then Kleins in that department.

Personally, I think Klein is actually the better defenseman. He lacks the offensive "flair" but Stralman has not proven that his skating and movement out of the zone translates to points.

I'd like to keep him personally, but it's not realistic, and quite honestly, we have a couple guys in the minors (Allen, mainly) who are going to (rightly so) be given a shot to make the team.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
While Stralman is certainly better at this and it suits his game more, I've been pleasantly surprised by how mobile Klein is. And as much as people seem to think Stralman is offensive, his stats this year were not any better then Kleins in that department.

Personally, I think Klein is actually the better defenseman. He lacks the offensive "flair" but Stralman has not proven that his skating and movement out of the zone translates to points.

I'd like to keep him personally, but it's not realistic, and quite honestly, we have a couple guys in the minors (Allen, mainly) who are going to (rightly so) be given a shot to make the team.

You may think Klein's been mobile, but he still constantly gets outshot at an alarming rate. This sterns back from his past 2 years in Nashville as well and it hasn't changed with the Rangers. That pretty much screams immobility and lack of puck flowing game. Why even consider moving away from that when the pairing of Staal-Stralman has been the team's thoroughbred in terms of puck movement, which was a significant problem during the Torts/Renney era. You're basically moving back to Torts era stone-age-hockey if you entrust Klein in a top 4 role when there is the option of re-signing Stralman out there.

Also there is nothing to base this season that Klein's a better defender than Stralman. Just nothing to base it off of.

IMO, the current Rangers top 4 defense is the best since Philly rolled with Pronger-Carle and Timonen-Coburn.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

I agree it's a pretty big deal. Any time you don't have to face a team's #1 you are already starting with an advantage. Sure, he can continue to stand on his head, but the reality is he's a backup for a reason.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I agree it's a pretty big deal. Any time you don't have to face a team's #1 you are already starting with an advantage. Sure, he can continue to stand on his head, but the reality is he's a backup for a reason.

Actually the reality is that Mason simply played better than Emery... I can bet that if Philly still had Bryz, he and emery would be similar to brodeur-schneider... neither one really a backup nor a starter

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Actually the reality is that Mason simply played better than Emery... I can bet that if Philly still had Bryz, he and emery would be similar to brodeur-schneider... neither one really a backup nor a starter

Both Mason and Emery are below average goalies. Emery is significantly more below average. Mason has been around average since being a member of the flyers (only 68 games) while being probably the worst starting goalie in the league the previous 3 years as a member of the Blue Jackets (171 games).

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Not a big deal from a Flyers standpoint. Emery played well in game 1. The team in front of him was responsible for the loss.
Obviously the play was one-sided. But I thought Emery played like you would expect. He only ever got to the midpoint of the net on Stepan's goal. :laugh:

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Obviously the play was one-sided. But I thought Emery played like you would expect. He only ever got to the midpoint of the net on Stepan's goal. :laugh:

To be fair, almost everyone on the ice was fooled by Richie's slapshot pass.

To be fair again, Emery's not very good and as one working hip so i'd much rather play him.

Diddy Wah

Apr 19, 2014
I literally could not believe how many times the Flyers let them get away with streaking down the wing and then making a short drop pass. They must have done it dozens of times, and it regularly led to a flurry of chances. The coach has to pick up on that. I'm not very quick to realize those sorts of things in comparison to some fans, but that was clear as day to me.

I noticed that too. No easy fix for the Flyers though as their D is too slow to hold the blue line if the Rangers get through the neutral zone with speed. And I don't see them giving up on their aggressive forecheck in order to clog the neutral zone so it really comes down to the Rangers ability to execute breakouts.

Diddy Wah

Apr 19, 2014
If I remember right it was Akeson literally right before his double minor

Pretty sure you're right. On that same shift one of the TSN guys doing the broadcast mentioned that he thought Akeson was the Flyers best player/forward in the game, well-executed jinx.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
A lot of people talking about stralman's future and honestly I think he doesn't have one with the organization because we have so many young guys in the organization... Stralman was barely a nhl player before he came here but I think the chemistry he developed with staal has made him a better player. Personally I think this is a case of a player over playing their ability. Staal being with him helps him tremendously and we often get stuck in our zone when they go to stralman's side IMO

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
A lot of people talking about stralman's future and honestly I think he doesn't have one with the organization because we have so many young guys in the organization... Stralman was barely a nhl player before he came here but I think the chemistry he developed with staal has made him a better player. Personally I think this is a case of a player over playing their ability. Staal being with him helps him tremendously and we often get stuck in our zone when they go to stralman's side IMO

Apparently that's not what the advanced stats show.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012

You can't count on someone making the team out of training camp with no NHL experience and have no veteran to take the spot. You let people win a spot in training camp, not hand it to them.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
You can't count on someone making the team out of training camp with no NHL experience and have no veteran to take the spot. You let people win a spot in training camp, not hand it to them.

I'm not saying give them the spot but we have 3 guys that could challenge for a spot in the next couple of years(Allen,mcilrath,skjei) and if stralman did turn down a 3yr 3 mil per deal I'm sure he wants more $ or years. So slather has to decide to use the youth or commit to stralman. If we commit to stralman don't be surprised if they move one of those 3 prospects

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
For a hockey team with the success in making the playoffs in the past 40 years you would think they would find a goalie!:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad