Post-Game Talk: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers Game 1 4/17/14

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I'm not saying give them the spot but we have 3 guys that could challenge for a spot in the next couple of years(Allen,mcilrath,skjei) and if stralman did turn down a 3yr 3 mil per deal I'm sure he wants more $ or years. So slather has to decide to use the youth or commit to stralman. If we commit to stralman don't be surprised if they move one of those 3 prospects

If McI is ready to go next season, then something will have to give. One of Stralman or Klein will have to go. I'd keep Stralman over Klein, but it seems like Stralman might end up pricing himself out this off season.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
McI seems like a guy that if AV were coach in 2010 wouldn't be in our system. Supposedly he's a good skater but I somehow doubt about his abilities in a puck possession system.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
McI seems like a guy that if AV were coach in 2010 wouldn't be in our system. Supposedly he's a good skater but I somehow doubt about his abilities in a puck possession system.

Good point. I thought the same of Klein when we first got him. I think Mcilrath will never get past the bottom pairing on this team unless he works to at least reach kleins or giraidis offensive ability. Allen is closer to being nhl ready and better fit for our system so I'd put mcilrath at the most likely of the two to be dealt

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Good point. I thought the same of Klein when we first got him. I think Mcilrath will never get past the bottom pairing on this team unless he works to at least reach kleins or giraidis offensive ability. Allen is closer to being nhl ready and better fit for our system so I'd put mcilrath at the most likely of the two to be dealt

You don't trade McI unless he's included in a package for a legitimate top #1 center.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012

Klein's offensive ability? He hasn't shown much of anything and McI already has a much better shot, and probably a better skater.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A lot of people talking about stralman's future and honestly I think he doesn't have one with the organization because we have so many young guys in the organization... Stralman was barely a nhl player before he came here but I think the chemistry he developed with staal has made him a better player. Personally I think this is a case of a player over playing their ability. Staal being with him helps him tremendously and we often get stuck in our zone when they go to stralman's side IMO

Just for the record, Stralman was a No 1-2 guy a couple of years for Columbus before coming here. Before getting into the league, he was one of the most hyped prospects in the World. Compare the hype he had to Tervainens hype in Chicago for example.

I really like Stralmans game in many areas, but unfortunately he isn't getting it done from the blueline and in. If our other top 3 Ds ain't getting it done from the blueline and in, it's just not good at all.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

He could pick it up, and he isn't horrible with the puck. A guy like Gudas can make those passes. Colin White and co in NJ always made those passes.

I think the key for McIlrath is to take another big step defensively in the AHL. He is really only "decent" defensively by AHL standards.

If McI mentally can stay strong and work in the right direction, I think he will get there in 2-3 years time. Looking at history though, you can't take for granted that a kid like him can stay the course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad