Philadelphia Flyers 2014 Draft(ees) June 27-28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not totally fair to include Voracek's post-draft season into the comparison. I don't necessarily disagree with your point, but players who are two years out of their draft year don't get much opportunity (even though the two were more or less the same age). And along the same point, the year after the draft opens up a whole lot more opportunity for first rounders to improve on their point totals.

You're right I didn't even notice it was after his draft year so the NHL part at 18/19 is incorrect. However Barbashev is a late birthday being born in December compared to Voracek who was one the younger players during his draft with an August birth date.

Barbashev was also the #1 pick of the import draft two years ago & had hype so he did get good oppurtunitues right away. He played in the top 6 right away on a pretty good Moncton team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I really don't think Virtanen's injury will be held against him that much. He wasn't really much of a candidate to play in the NHL next year anyway & even if he takes the max recovery time he'll still be able to get games in towards the end of the season with his his junior club.

He may fall but I think it will be more because of how many players are possibly interchangeable in the range he's slotted in than the injury.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd think the teams in the top 10 would be less likely to take a risk, even if it's a small one, on an injured player in the draft than some of the better teams would. They want and need to get better so they're probably more worried about wasting picks and staying bad for longer, especially in the 1st round. Maybe this isn't the way they think, but it's the way I'd look at it.

MadFerIt95*

I'd think the teams in the top 10 would be less likely to take a risk, even if it's a small one, on an injured player in the draft than some of the better teams would. They want and need to get better so they're probably more worried about wasting picks and staying bad for longer, especially in the 1st round. Maybe this isn't the way they think, but it's the way I'd look at it.

He'll probably go to Anaheim at number 10 since they can afford to wait for him to be healthy

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Alex Galchenyuk had basically his entire draft year wiped out because of a pretty serious knee injury & still went 3rd overall to Montreal in 2012.

He played about 30 junior games the following year because of the lockout & made the Habs roster once the lockout ended.

Virtanen wasn't likely to make the a roster this upcoming year anyway but he will still get about that same amount of games in junior next year & could possibly make a team in 2015-2016.

We're talking 18 year olds here not 30 year olds. If a team likes him they'll take him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He'll probably go to Anaheim at number 10 since they can afford to wait for him to be healthy

They could. However most teams are going to be waiting a year or two for players in this draft to make their roster anyway.

There doesn't look to be too many NHL ready players at the moment. I only see Ekblad & Reinhart being in the NHL next year as of right now & both will likely go in the top 3 where Virtanen isn't slotted to go. If a team likes Virtanen they'll take him.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Watched the Memorial Cup semi tonight. Both Pollock from Edm and Aube-Kubel from Val D'Or were very good. Pollock is a big fastLW who was strong vs. big Mantha. A-K was flying in the double OT. Edm won in 3OT.

Val D'Or has some very good D, can't find draft listings but a couple would worth looking at either drafting or signing as UFAs (Gazzola?). In Simon Nolet we trust.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Watched the Memorial Cup semi tonight. Both Pollock from Edm and Aube-Kubel from Val D'Or were very good. Pollock is a big fastLW who was strong vs. big Mantha. A-K was flying in the double OT. Edm won in 3OT.

Val D'Or has some very good D, can't find draft listings but a couple would worth looking at either drafting or signing as UFAs (Gazzola?). In Simon Nolet we trust.

Todd Hearty is the head scout in the Q now. Nolet is still listed as a scout on the Flyers website but I'm not exactly sure what he does now a days.

AFTeRMaTH*

Vrana/Fiala/Barbashev - Giroux - Voracek
That is all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Vrana/Fiala - Giroux - Voracek
That is all.

I really, really like Fiala. Don't know much about Vrana, but Fiala is the guy I really want. Virtanen and Milano are the others in my "would be ecstatic if picked" group.

Also, the more I watch and the more I research, the less I want Nylander, Kapanen, or Ritchie, but what do I know. Chances are they'll be gone before our pick, anyway.

AFTeRMaTH*

I dont know why people always say the draft class stinks. I love a bunch of these players and more than one of them should be available at our pick.

After TOP5 projected(right now) Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett/Draisaitl/Dal Colle

Would be thrilled to get one of these guys in NO ORDER:
Ehlers
Nylander
Ritchie
Virtanen
Fleury
Kapanen
Fiala
Vrana
Tuch
Barbashev
Honka

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I dont know why people always say the draft class stinks. I love a bunch of these players and more than one of them should be available at our pick.

After TOP5 projected(right now) Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett/Draisaitl/Dal Colle

Would be thrilled to get one of these guys in NO ORDER:
Ehlers
Nylander
Ritchie
Virtanen
Fleury
Kapanen
Fiala
Vrana
Tuch
Barbashev
Honka
I agree. People just say this is a ****** draft class because there's no elite first overall pick like there have been in past years. But really, beyond the top five, there are some real quality players to be had, and not a lot of separation. This is a good year to have a mid-round pick.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This draft isn't necessarily bad but it's not great neither. There's no Nathan MacKinnon's or Seth Jones' in it. It also looks like on the surface that this draft is going to take longer to look back on in order to gauge on how good it was compared to drafts in recent years.

It also doesn't help that it's sandwiched in between two great drafts (2013 & 2015).

AFTeRMaTH*

Fine by me. Its not like we would be in the position to draft one of those top guys anyways. I love this draft class.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
This draft isn't necessarily bad but it's not great neither. There's no Nathan MacKinnon's or Seth Jones' in it. It also looks like on the surface that this draft is going to take longer to look back on in order to gauge on how good it was compared to drafts in recent years.

It also doesn't help that it's sandwiched in between two great drafts (2013 & 2015).

That's a very good point, the closest drafts have elite level talent. I guess you could also say this is a week draft to have a high pick, but a good draft to have a mid pick

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That's a very good point, the closest drafts have elite level talent. I guess you could also say this is a week draft to have a high pick, but a good draft to have a mid pick

Pretty much, the chances of the Flyers getting a better player or one on equal footing at #17 than a top 10 pick are a lot better compared to recent years.

That's why I am against dumping assets into trading up this year. I would actually rather trade the pick for some help now in the right move before I would trade up.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'd probably take Milano out of the three choices. He's the biggest of the three & is equally skilled if not more skilled than the other two in my opinion. Plus he's an American & going to BC next year which is on tv almost every Friday night on NBCSN which helps. :laugh:

Seriously though he put crazy numbers this year with the US team that were on par with Kessel's & Kane's from when they played with the program back in the day.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Long been a Milano fan. He seems a little more playmaker than finisher to me, but will be intriguing to see how he develops at a top notch program like BC.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Long been a Milano fan. He seems a little more playmaker than finisher to me, but will be intriguing to see how he develops at a top notch program like BC.

I'm not really worried about that. He's likely going to be at BC for two years anyway so who knows what our roster will look like by then, guys on the currently in the organization could step up in that aspect or guys from outside could be brought in.

He'll still give us a legit top 6 potential forward in the prospect which don't have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad