Philadelphia Flyers 2014 Draft(ees) June 27-28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
We currently sit 16th in the league, so picking 14th overall.

A few MOCK draft boards are up but I'm wondering what all of our armchair GM's would like to be see done during the draft.

I, for one, always go BPA.

Share your thoughts.

Here are some links about upcoming draft players:
ISS
http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/
NHL / CSS
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=699869 (midterm ranking)

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/ (not updated as often)

edit: if there is a thread for this, sorry, couldn't find it. Prefix of player discussion made sense...

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
We aren't getting a top pick(say top 7) but man Haydn Fleury is the kid I would target. Skates well, Physical, great shot, heavy on his skates. Shoots lefty, but I want him.

Realistically, the only way we pick anywhere near the top 5 is if Giroux gets hurt.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
We aren't getting a top pick(say top 7) but man Haydn Fleury is the kid I would target. Skates well, Physical, great shot, heavy on his skates. Shoots lefty, but I want him.

Realistically, the only way we pick anywhere near the top 5 is if Giroux gets hurt.

Don't know anything about him only that he plays in Red Deer and Defense.. lol

I think we will hover around 10-14 tbh. Not a bad spot and I'm basing that on how we are playing under Chief. We make the playoffs (I believe) and in there anything can happen but I think we are missing key pieces to make a huge playoff run (hope I'm wrong b/c the draft isn't deep)

Edit: Nick Ritchie likes the ROCKY movies... plays LW... haha

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jr...ick-ritchie-peterborough-petes-202001449.html

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think we would actually picking 15th or 16th because we are in the playoffs right now. Either way, this is a draft you go BPA (other than C). Drafting a center does us no good. There's just no room. Draft one in a later round and see what happens, but in the first round, pick a LW/RW/D or even a goalie if there is a situation where the goalie is the BPA. But a center is superfluous right now, as the only good position this team has really is the center position (unless of course there is a stud who drops).

Fluery is a guy I would target. Kasperi Kapanen too.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013

i'm hopping we draft Fleury since the first time i saw him, he's everything that we need.

images

Fleury has exceptional skating abilities. He has very good speed, and his footwork in tight areas is exceptional. He can maintain a very tight gap off the rush and use his reach to angle opponents to the boards and poke away pucks to create turnovers. Fleury plays a physical game, and is very difficult to play against on a consistent basis. He is very strong along the walls, and because of his speed and size, he rarely ever has to hook or trip players to prevent them from having a scoring opportunity. He does not take undisciplined penalties, and understands that he is more valuable to his team when he is out on the ice and not in the penalty box.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Don't know anything about him only that he plays in Red Deer and Defense.. lol

I think we will hover around 10-14 tbh. Not a bad spot and I'm basing that on how we are playing under Chief. We make the playoffs (I believe) and in there anything can happen but I think we are missing key pieces to make a huge playoff run (hope I'm wrong b/c the draft isn't deep)

I have read on twitter from some people that scouts believe after the top group of players are taken it's a huge drop in potential. If we are sitting in the 12-16 range, I really wouldn't mind trading that pick at all. I have said so many time, look to Nashville. That team needs offensive guys and we need their stud blue liner. Let by gones be by gones and work something out between the two teams.

I honestly think that the pick will be traded.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I have read on twitter from some people that scouts believe after the top group of players are taken it's a huge drop in potential. If we are sitting in the 12-16 range, I really wouldn't mind trading that pick at all. I have said so many time, look to Nashville. That team needs offensive guys and we need their stud blue liner. Let by gones be by gones and work something out between the two teams.

I honestly think that the pick will be traded.

I'd just like the fans who are in Philadelphia see a draftee cross the stage but if the pick is traded it better be for something good :) (which I'm sure it would be)

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I'd just like the fans who are in Philadelphia see a draftee cross the stage but if the pick is traded it better be for something good :) (which I'm sure it would be)

Yep, I understand the team wanting to get up on stage and announce the pick in front of everyone definitely. I also understand that there is no better chance for the team to get a either a top line winger or a top pairing defender there in front of our home crowd.

We do though need more forward prospects in our pool. With Morin, Ghost, Hagg in the pipelines right now, we only have Laughton as top end potential. I could see the Flyers wanting to get a forward prospect, but go for the BPA as they usually do.

A lot of people on here want Mckeown, I like Fleury a lot more though.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I see the Flyers picking somewhere in the 15-20 range. This draft really isn't anything special even getting a top 10 pick wouldn't be too exciting to me. I wouldn't mind if the Flyers traded it to be honest (assuming whatever comes back can help the team now).

Alex Tuch is guy I could see them targeting, big two-way forward who can play both winger & center. He's been a riser this year though so he may possibly sneak into the top 10.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
CSS Midterm rankings came out today.

Sam Bennett and Leon Draisaitl are 1 & 2 among NA skaters.

They have some interesting rankings, they have Alex Nedeljkovic as the 5th ranked NA goalie. That one seems odd to me seeing as most assume it will be him & Demko as the first two goalies taken this year.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I like nick Ritchie and Brandon Perlini. Doubt well have an oppurtunity to grab either of them, unless they keep playing like that have the last 2 games... In which case, Ekblad here we come!

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Left wing, which seems pretty deep this year and is a glaring need, and defensemen in bulk after.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I'm not going to guarantee it, but I have a feeling that they won't have their first round pick at the draft this year. I think this off season will be when they package their first rounder and a roster player to get an upgrade on defense. Timonen's retirement (likely) is going to force their hand.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I am just hoping Flyers don't trade Laughton or this year's first rounder for a shot this year. You know they love buying buyers.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
One of Roland McKeown, Brendan Perlini or Haydn Fleury should be available around that 14 spot. I'd have no problems with one of those three if one of them are available.

If none of the three are there and if someone wants to move up, then I wouldn't mind seeing the Flyers move down and pick up a few more assets.

As for the whole notion that Shea Weber will be available, people need to give it up. Nashville just finished paying off the poison pill and they're in a position now that they can just sit back and pay the contract off. They aren't going to deal Weber and if they do, it's going to require a ransom. This isn't like Pronger when he was dealt - this is a 29 year old defenseman in his prime that will essentially gut the organization. The Flyers are more than just a Shea Weber away from competing for the Cup.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm not going to guarantee it, but I have a feeling that they won't have their first round pick at the draft this year. I think this off season will be when they package their first rounder and a roster player to get an upgrade on defense. Timonen's retirement (likely) is going to force their hand.

The question though is who is available? You aren't getting a legitimate top pairing defender for that price. You're looking young roster players, prospects and multiple draft picks. Besides, the Flyers are more than just a legitimate top pairing defender away. They need to find a legitimate 35+ goal scoring winger to play along side Giroux and Voracek and they need to continue to refill the pipeline. Personally, I'd rather the team stand pat and build some legitimate depth first.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
One of Roland McKeown, Brendan Perlini or Haydn Fleury should be available around that 14 spot. I'd have no problems with one of those three if one of them are available.

If none of the three are there and if someone wants to move up, then I wouldn't mind seeing the Flyers move down and pick up a few more assets.

As for the whole notion that Shea Weber will be available, people need to give it up. Nashville just finished paying off the poison pill and they're in a position now that they can just sit back and pay the contract off. They aren't going to deal Weber and if they do, it's going to require a ransom. This isn't like Pronger when he was dealt - this is a 29 year old defenseman in his prime that will essentially gut the organization. The Flyers are more than just a Shea Weber away from competing for the Cup.

It' a pipe dream and I have said that many times, but you can't conclusively say they wouldn't entertain the idea of moving him. Nashville is in shambles as well, even when Rinne comes back, they can't win games where they score 0 goals. They need legit top line players or potential to become a true contending team. They have none of that right now. It's not about the contract and how much they already paid, it's about where they see the franchise going. It's a sunk cost, you have to ask yourself now, do we continue to be mediocre and make the trade? Maybe they feel they can bring in talent another way with trades and not include Weber, but he will garner the biggest return. I don't think Nashville will be a contending team until they get some top line material, they seem to miss it every draft as well(because they stock up on all the great defenders). Always keep an open mind, you can't say no to anything.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany

I'm not going to say the Preds will trade Weber, but when you look at their team and pipeline it's pretty sad. They have a solid, but not great D and a whole lot of second/third liners playing forward. They have absolutely no offense at all and by the time the few players they have in their pipeline turns into good NHLers (Forberg, Jones, pick this year) Weber will be on the wrong side of his peak.
Nashville imo is one of the worst ran teams in the league in the last few years and it started more or less with matching Homers OS. They could've completely revamped the organization, but instead chose mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The question though is who is available? You aren't getting a legitimate top pairing defender for that price. You're looking young roster players, prospects and multiple draft picks. Besides, the Flyers are more than just a legitimate top pairing defender away. They need to find a legitimate 35+ goal scoring winger to play along side Giroux and Voracek and they need to continue to refill the pipeline. Personally, I'd rather the team stand pat and build some legitimate depth first.

They run the possibility of only having four NHL caliber defensemen on the roster next year unless something is done. Getting a top pairing guy may not be their only need, but it's certainly the most glaring. It's going to look even worse once Kimmo's gone.

You're looking at a lottery team next year if they stand pat and go into the season with:

Coburn-Streit
Grossmann-Schenn
Gus (maybe)-XXX

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Anyone can see that it is a pretty weak draft. Overall even the top end players (other than really ekblad) don't look to be that good. This draft does remind me of the 2007 draft where there are a lot of good players but not great. I do hope we keep the pick though. The team has used the "trade picks and prospects to win now" method way to much and it has not worked in 30+ years. Sit tight, draft bpa (other than a center) and go from there. I am hoping though that at that point there is a solid winger there. We really need to up our skill on the wings.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Assuming we're picking in the 15ish area, I'd really like to see either Kapanen (if he's still there), or McKeown. Gives us a good winger or a good PMD.

I'm guessing we have no chance at Fleury, unless we're trading up, and I don't really see the point in that. And holy crap, is he related to Marc-andre fleury? They look identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad