Philadelphia Flyers 2014 Draft(ees) June 27-28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Assuming we're picking in the 15ish area, I'd really like to see either Kapanen (if he's still there), or McKeown. Gives us a good winger or a good PMD.

I'm guessing we have no chance at Fleury, unless we're trading up, and I don't really see the point in that. And holy crap, is he related to Marc-andre fleury? They look identical.

If we are at 15 and say Fleury is still there at 11-12, I could see us moving our second rounder to get him. It just depends on what the Flyers are thinking, if nothing comes up in trade talks that we are comfortable with, try and move up and grab this kid. I think he can be something special.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Anyone know anything more about alex tuch other than his numbers, which look good for the USNTDP. Big bodied winger who's currently ranked 21st.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
They run the possibility of only having four NHL caliber defensemen on the roster next year unless something is done. Getting a top pairing guy may not be their only need, but it's certainly the most glaring. It's going to look even worse once Kimmo's gone.

You're looking at a lottery team next year if they stand pat and go into the season with:

Coburn-Streit
Grossmann-Schenn
Gus (maybe)-XXX

That's a scaring ****ing lineup for our defense next year. Scary thought and possible reality.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
If we are at 15 and say Fleury is still there at 11-12, I could see us moving our second rounder to get him. It just depends on what the Flyers are thinking, if nothing comes up in trade talks that we are comfortable with, try and move up and grab this kid. I think he can be something special.

Now that I've thought about it, trading up 4 or 5 spots isn't exactly unfathomable. Even if we overpay, what's the asking price, a 2nd pick or whatever? In this draft, is probably worth it to get one of the higher end players.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
They run the possibility of only having four NHL caliber defensemen on the roster next year unless something is done. Getting a top pairing guy may not be their only need, but it's certainly the most glaring. It's going to look even worse once Kimmo's gone.

You're looking at a lottery team next year if they stand pat and go into the season with:

Coburn-Streit
Grossmann-Schenn
Gus (maybe)-XXX

I don't think it's all doom and gloom that it's being made out to be. Right now, the Flyers have three "stay at home" defenders, one offensive defenseman and one burgeoning two way guy. If they can add a guy like Nikitin from Columbus and then promote Mark Alt, that leaves a defense of:
Coburn
Streit
Grossmann
Schenn
Gustafsson
Nikitin
Alt

It's pretty much a lock that Coburn is going to get top pairing time. So, put him with a good offensive guy like Nikitin and allow Coburn to do the heavy lifting defensively. Second pairing, keep Grossmann and Streit together. Third pairing gets a little interesting. If Schenn has a bounce back year (and with the way his career has gone, next year should be a bounce back year), you could have Schenn and alternate Gus and Alt in that spot.

So:

Coburn - Nikitin
Grossmann - Streit
Schenn - Alt/Gustafsson
Gustafsson/Alt

It might not be a world beater, but there are a lot worse out there. In all seriousness, to land that elusive top pairing guy, the Flyers are going to need to pay out the teeth for it. They simply don't have the assets to make that kind of move. That's my thing. The Pronger trade set this franchise back quite a bit.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Anyone know anything more about alex tuch other than his numbers, which look good for the USNTDP. Big bodied winger who's currently ranked 21st.

I pointed him out on the first page. I've read that he compares to a Brandon Saad type of player. He's going to BC next year so he'll be playing at a really quality program.

He's been rising ever since the season started so he could possibly sneak into the top 10 when all is said in done.

I believe Craig Button is pretty high on him as well.

Last edited:

Akanon

Apr 15, 2012
Craig Button and ISS have updated their ranking lists.

Craig Button's list
Top 10
1. Reinhart
2. Ekblad
3. Bennett
4. Dal Colle
5. Perlini
6. McCann
7. Kempe
8. Ehlers
9. Fleury
10. Pastrnak

ISS ranking list
Top 10
1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Bennett
4. Dal Colle
5. Nylander
6. Perlini
7. Draisaitl
8. Fleury
9. Virtanen
10. Karlsson

For some reason Button is not impressed with Virtanen, last time he was #58 and now he's #47 on his list.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Button has Kempe in the top ten but not Nylander?!

After watching a lot of MODO this year Nylander is better easily, I have seen ~5 games of Nylander and ~12 of Kempe. Nylander has so much more talent... though Kempe may be more rounded in some ways.

No Draisaitl either... bizarre.

DeAngelo, McKeown, Honka and Martin are looking like they could be available around where the Flyers draft... as well as Kapanen. Though it would be nice to somehow snag Fleury.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Button has Kempe in the top ten but not Nylander?!

After watching a lot of MODO this year Nylander is better easily, I have seen ~5 games of Nylander and ~12 of Kempe. Nylander has so much more talent... though Kempe may be more rounded in some ways.

No Draisaitl either... bizarre.

DeAngelo, McKeown, Honka and Martin are looking like they could be available around where the Flyers draft... as well as Kapanen. Though it would be nice to somehow snag Fleury.

He had Nylander at 5 last month. Obviously he saw something he didn't like.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Interesting. I think he scored 4 goals in a game recently. Shows them...

Not really. It was an impressive game, but he's not really a dynamic defenseman. He's just steady. He's half the skater Seth Jones is/was. He's very good right now and he probably could step into an NHL lineup next season, but his upside isn't as great as others since he is almost at his peak physically.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
He had Nylander at 5 last month. Obviously he saw something he didn't like.

Which makes me wonder if Button puts a lot of stock in making the WJC-team, because since the December update Nylander has 8 points in 6 games from the 26th and onwards (Buttons list was released early December I think) and has had a leading role offensively on his team.

His defensive play could be a factor though.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Not really. It was an impressive game, but he's not really a dynamic defenseman. He's just steady. He's half the skater Seth Jones is/was. He's very good right now and he probably could step into an NHL lineup next season, but his upside isn't as great as others since he is almost at his peak physically.

Probably would be the 2nd or 3rd best Dman on the Flyers.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Which makes me wonder if Button puts a lot of stock in making the WJC-team, because since the December update Nylander has 8 points in 6 games from the 26th and onwards (Buttons list was released early December I think) and has had a leading role offensively on his team.

His defensive play could be a factor though.

He does value the U20s. Fiala and Tryamkin cracked his list after their showings. Pastrnak made a huge jump. But at the same time only two guys that played in the WJCs were originally behind him and jumped ahead of him in the rankings. It was probably just an overall adjustment. I imagine he probably heard some reports of his play as well while he was in Malmo.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Last year the flyers were smart to use their first 2 picks on dmen. This year however i think they need to draft bpa.

Even if its a center i think you go bpa with this draft since the flyers just need talent in their system.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Last year the flyers were smart to use their first 2 picks on dmen. This year however i think they need to draft bpa.

Even if its a center i think you go bpa with this draft since the flyers just need talent in their system.

Idk, where they are likely going to be picking, I think going best winger/defenseman available is a better idea than simply BPA. Unless a big name drops (or the Flyers tank the second half), it is unlikely that if the BPA is a center, the winger or defenseman that is closest thereto would be that far off. Getting another center really only means that they have more flexibility to trade someone. That may be a good thing depending on what is out there, but with Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Laughton, VL, and to a lesser extent Cousins, there is simply no room for another potentially high-end center in this organization.

Obviously, if the difference is big enough, you go with the Center, but let's say you have a 100 point rating scale, if the BPA is a center rated 89 and the next guy is a winger or defenseman rated 85, I think you draft the winger or defenseman. Otherwise you are going to have a player that is blocked for the next 4-5 years unless a trade is made or he switches his position. I'd say next year's draft is a year they can spend a first rounder on a center again. By that point he'll be far enough away that VL won't be blcoking him and we will know what we have in Cousins, Schenn, and Couturier. If its me, I am looking only to draft a winger or defenseman in the first round unless a big name slips.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Lucky then that it is extremely likely that the BPA will be a winger or D man!

Kempe, Bleakley and Mccann are the only centres I reckon have a shot of going in the 10-20 range... while there are probably 5-10 wingers and 4 D men who could easily go in that range. (Schmaltz, Larkin and Barbashev all play wing as well, even though some places list them as exclusively centres.) I think Mccann will surely be gone by the time the Flyers pick as well, and Bleakley will likely be in the 20-30 range... so Kempe is probably the only true centre who will be in that range and a likely BPA... and he has played LW as well.

That being said... if Nylander fell, take the guy, though I cannot see him falling that far... and he also plays wing!

I almost forgot that if the Debs finish behind us we move up a spot in the draft as well effectively! Nice.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
He does value the U20s. Fiala and Tryamkin cracked his list after their showings. Pastrnak made a huge jump. But at the same time only two guys that were originally behind him jumped ahead of him in the rankings. It was probably just an overall adjustment. I imagine he probably heard some reports of his play as well while he was in Malmo.

And he definitely should, to me this "dramatic" drop just seems to come at a strange time since he's had a good stretch recently despite not making the WJC, had he fallen earlier during his Rögle days it would have made more sense as he wasn't playing very well then.

Anyway, what I'm doing here feels like kremlinology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad