OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
step 1 today is ripping the page outta the playbook that contains the read option
no mas, por favor

Should only use it once every few weeks to catch a DE sleeping in a short yardage situation. Guys are too athletic at this level to consistently run it.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
What was that?

8 seconds (or whatever it was) left in the first half and the Saints were in field goal range, he had every defensive player hold their man off the snap.

So time ran off the clock and the Saints couldn't make an attempt at the end zone and had to kick the field goal.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I know it's probably premature but I'm done with Pederson. He certainly is a creative football mind and is probably great on the practice field, but, much like his predecessor, he has no clue how to manage a football game. It's actually worse than Reid.

The clock management is awful and the situational play calling may be worse. As somebody else noted, Spagnuolo was throwing 6 blitzes while we're in a 5-wide set, leaving universal man coverage across the board, and there wasn't a single read for a quick slant to the middle of the field? Instead we're throwing a fade route that hasn't been there all game. It's mind boggling. In a similar situation, we were lined up in 11 personnel, with Ertz split to the slot and Matthews lined up in the slot on the near side of the field. The Giants loaded the box, showing blitz, leaving man coverage outside. Our hot read was then a quick screen to Matthews in the slot, which was horrifically stupid. He had four guys on top of him the second he caught the ball. If you're going to counteract the blitz, it has to be to the outside of the field or at least 5-10 yards down field. Throwing the ball directly into the line of fire makes no sense at all.

The bit that really sums up his lack of real-time understanding was letting the clock run down to the 2-minute warning when the Giants had the ball, despite having two timeouts left (after wasting one on a moronic challenge). If he takes the timeouts before the 2 minute warning, that gives our defense the opportunity to play 3rd down leading up to the clock stoppage, which would potentially allow our offense to get the ball back with 2 minutes left in the game, rather than waiting and having about 1:45 to play. Yes, it's only 15 seconds but that's precious time in the end of a game, and I don't think that Pederson can begin to comprehend the logic behind using those timeouts earlier, especially not in real time. And, just like Reid, he's too stubborn to realize that and work to correct it.

All of this.

I don't care if plays work or not, it's the thought process behind them that matters when evaluating a coaching decision. You want to go for it on 4th & 2, I don't really agree but ok. Oh you're going to run a QB sweep with a WR blocking an athletic DE? How about you kick the FG instead of calling a play that's doomed from the start. Even if he somehow makes it it's a bad call because it has a low probability of working and a high probability of taking points off the board.

It's not that things haven't worked, it's the fact that he's shown a lack of understanding of fundamental elements of the game. It's unacceptable for an NFL head coach. Double moves against 6 and 7 man rushes? What? I wouldn't have even done that **** in Madden when I was 14, how does that happen in real life?

None of the receivers do anything after the catch. Huff could but you could never get him the ball. Burton showed a little juice on the one play early in the game. Celek can run through arm tackles but he's too slow nowadays.

The receivers look scared when the ball is in the air. One-on-one coverage and DBs are playing the ball better than the receivers. It's ridiculous. And when's the last time a receiver drew a PI penalty? DGB just runs into coverage. You can say Carson overthrew him a couple times along the sideline, and maybe he did, but the guy showed no effort to make a play on the ball.

Doug needs to go back to the basics. Remember the first drive against Cleveland? Establish the run. You don't need to gash teams, just show them that you are going to run the ball and playaction off of it. It helps the QB out so much. Feature Smallwood more too. He's a cross between Sproles and Matthews. Quick and will run through arm tackles. Hell even Barner makes plays when he touches the ball. The RBs are a hell of a lot better than the receivers. No reason to let your rookie QB throw 47 times.

Again, yes.

DGB on that pass in the right corner of the end zone :help: Aikman or Buck said the ball is overthrown. Yea it was overthrown a bit, but guess what? You're an NFL wide receiver, go make a play on the ball instead of standing next to the DB and sticking one hand up. You're 6'5", run through him and go make an attempt.

There's no desire to come down with the ball, and it's ridiculous. Treggs at least looked like an NFL receiver. There's no compete in DGB or Agholor.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
With all of Doug's questionable calls, that FG that got blocked ended up being the difference in the game. Probably a message from the football gods to not go against the book.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
That was a good move,but he is 1-7 and has lost 7 in a row. Doug may be a trainwreck, but Chip is a raging forest fire.
The Niners have major issues on all four levels of their infrastructure: Ownership, GM, Coach, and Roster. Chip is a bad NFL coach, but the whole organization is infested with incompetence.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Gonna be at the game this Sunday... wish the situation was a bit more encouraging than what the past couple games have been.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I find it very interesting that Goff hasn't played a single snap yet this year. Rams are saying he won't play until they're eliminated from playoff contention. Opting to go with Case Keenum until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad