OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
That was a good throw by Wentz on 4th down, but he made some really bad plays. Running out of bounds and take a 5 yard loss instead of throwing it away.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
rookie qb, away game, not playing against a great offense, really early in the game= put the points on the board, period

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
That was a good throw by Wentz on 4th down, but he made some really bad plays. Running out of bounds and take a 5 yard loss instead of throwing it away.
85% good, 15% bad.

First pick was all kinds of a terrible choice and bad execution. 2nd pick I can live with. Decision good, execution bad. After that overall it was pretty good. At the end of the day #11 is looking great.

WR suuucks. 81 is the only one worth anything. DGB is so lame. 6'5 receiver that plays like he's 5'6 without the speed. Zero compete from him.

Vaitai had a bad first game, but he's played pretty good since. It will be fun seeing if he plays better vs WSH in round two.

Officials in this league suck. Subjective calls suck. Touch the kicker period, flag. Touch the QB helmet, flag. Players will adjust. Eaaaaasy to officiate these calls then.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Treggs was burning the DBs out there. Was nice to see a guy flying out there stretching the field. Helped the TE's and Matthews out alot.

Shame they stopped using him in the 2nd half and went back to the LOS throws every other play.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Looking at the schedule the rest of the way, I'd say there's a solid chance they finish 6-10 or worse. Probably will only be favored in 1 of the next 8. Sad thing is this team could be 6-2 with competent coaching even with the lack of skill. Very worrying going forward.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Hey I posted this yesterday and it got lost in the shuffle, but does anyone have a link to the Freddie Mitchell oven mitts press conference? It is surprising hard to find. Does not appear to be on YouTube and I can barely find a trace of it on the internet, let alone an actual clip of it.

rsegrest1

Dec 29, 2015
South Jersey
Looking at the schedule the rest of the way, I'd say there's a solid chance they finish 6-10 or worse. Probably will only be favored in 1 of the next 8. Sad thing is this team could be 6-2 with competent coaching even with the lack of skill. Very worrying going forward.

Minnesota may drop out of a playoff spot after next week, so at least there's that draft pick potential. :help:

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
One takeaway from yesterday that I'm not seeing anyone talk about...

How soft is Ertz? Does it seem like every play he makes the catch and goes down like he was shot? Not counting that diving grab he made, but the one where he made the catch ont he run and immediately went down with space?

If I have recency bias here, please correct me. Dude seems like he absolutely hates contact, which is a pretty bad trait to have as a TE. Give me Celek over Ertz.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I have no problem with this. We need help. We were not winning this year realistically anyway. Hopefully....DP learns and grows from his mistakes.

At least our coaching staff is giving Wentz lots of QB support to start his young career.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I know it's probably premature but I'm done with Pederson. He certainly is a creative football mind and is probably great on the practice field, but, much like his predecessor, he has no clue how to manage a football game. It's actually worse than Reid.

The clock management is awful and the situational play calling may be worse. As somebody else noted, Spagnuolo was throwing 6 blitzes while we're in a 5-wide set, leaving universal man coverage across the board, and there wasn't a single read for a quick slant to the middle of the field? Instead we're throwing a fade route that hasn't been there all game. It's mind boggling. In a similar situation, we were lined up in 11 personnel, with Ertz split to the slot and Matthews lined up in the slot on the near side of the field. The Giants loaded the box, showing blitz, leaving man coverage outside. Our hot read was then a quick screen to Matthews in the slot, which was horrifically stupid. He had four guys on top of him the second he caught the ball. If you're going to counteract the blitz, it has to be to the outside of the field or at least 5-10 yards down field. Throwing the ball directly into the line of fire makes no sense at all.

The bit that really sums up his lack of real-time understanding was letting the clock run down to the 2-minute warning when the Giants had the ball, despite having two timeouts left (after wasting one on a moronic challenge). If he takes the timeouts before the 2 minute warning, that gives our defense the opportunity to play 3rd down leading up to the clock stoppage, which would potentially allow our offense to get the ball back with 2 minutes left in the game, rather than waiting and having about 1:45 to play. Yes, it's only 15 seconds but that's precious time in the end of a game, and I don't think that Pederson can begin to comprehend the logic behind using those timeouts earlier, especially not in real time. And, just like Reid, he's too stubborn to realize that and work to correct it.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I thought so. Also, on the 4th down play they had Wentz try to roll out for yards, didn't they put Ertz in motion to get him a lead block? IIRC, Ertz didn't even touch a defender.

Been ragging on Ertz (offline) for weeks. Soft as hell. Terrified of contact. Runs out of bounds. Gets to the ground as soon as possible. Doesn't fight for extra yards often.

That attempt at a block was awful. There were four Giants there and he just waved at the air.

If they were running that play, not sure why Celek wasn't in at TE.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Been ragging on Ertz (offline) for weeks. Soft as hell. Terrified of contact. Runs out of bounds. Gets to the ground as soon as possible. Doesn't fight for extra yards often.

That attempt at a block was awful. There were four Giants there and he just waved at the air.

If they were running that play, not sure why Celek wasn't in at TE.

Agree, Celek is as tough as they come. I will take him any day over Ertz. For someone as big as Ertz, he plays smaller than Sproles.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
None of the receivers do anything after the catch. Huff could but you could never get him the ball. Burton showed a little juice on the one play early in the game. Celek can run through arm tackles but he's too slow nowadays.

The receivers look scared when the ball is in the air. One-on-one coverage and DBs are playing the ball better than the receivers. It's ridiculous. And when's the last time a receiver drew a PI penalty? DGB just runs into coverage. You can say Carson overthrew him a couple times along the sideline, and maybe he did, but the guy showed no effort to make a play on the ball.

Doug needs to go back to the basics. Remember the first drive against Cleveland? Establish the run. You don't need to gash teams, just show them that you are going to run the ball and playaction off of it. It helps the QB out so much. Feature Smallwood more too. He's a cross between Sproles and Matthews. Quick and will run through arm tackles. Hell even Barner makes plays when he touches the ball. The RBs are a hell of a lot better than the receivers. No reason to let your rookie QB throw 47 times.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
None of the receivers do anything after the catch. Huff could but you could never get him the ball. Burton showed a little juice on the one play early in the game. Celek can run through arm tackles but he's too slow nowadays.

The receivers look scared when the ball is in the air. One-on-one coverage and DBs are playing the ball better than the receivers. It's ridiculous. And when's the last time a receiver drew a PI penalty? DGB just runs into coverage. You can say Carson overthrew him a couple times along the sideline, and maybe he did, but the guy showed no effort to make a play on the ball.

Doug needs to go back to the basics. Remember the first drive against Cleveland? Establish the run. You don't need to gash teams, just show them that you are going to run the ball and playaction off of it. It helps the QB out so much. Feature Smallwood more too. He's a cross between Sproles and Matthews. Quick and will run through arm tackles. Hell even Barner makes plays when he touches the ball. The RBs are a hell of a lot better than the receivers. No reason to let your rookie QB throw 47 times.

I find myself wondering why they do this too! Maybe they just feel like the O Line is so bad that it'll net a loss? It's a stupid cycle of horrible calls.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly

How soft is Ertz? Does it seem like every play he makes the catch and goes down like he was shot? Not counting that diving grab he made, but the one where he made the catch ont he run and immediately went down with space?

If I have recency bias here, please correct me. Dude seems like he absolutely hates contact, which is a pretty bad trait to have as a TE. Give me Celek over Ertz.

Etrz averages 1.5 YAC, the worst among TE's in the NFL. He is soft, and a major disappointment.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

He's always been a receiver playing TE to this point. I think that's pretty much why Celek's been kept around for so long despite getting long in the tooth.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The nfc is so average this year. With competent coaching, could gave gone to the superbiwl with some luck.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
It was really bad. Bush league. It's a fade over the shoulder and he turns inside. He admitted he blew it to he press.

Both Wentz and Pederson said in their pressers that the ball was supposed to go inside in that play. Fwiw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad