OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Well That Just Happened...

Fire Howie?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ask yourself this question, how many times has the gut reaction of die hard knowledgeable fans and experts been wrong and how many times has GM's that think they know more than everyone else and go out on a limb been wrong? It happens but normally the consensus is correct and the player or coach with the massive upside...never reaches it. This is directed at you Hextall and Holmgren lol.

There aren't many franchises who can do things that are seemingly bonkers or questionable that I won't question. I think NE and Baltimore are just about it.

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
I wonder what other free agents are out there that we could be looking at. Howie did say that the moves are not over. Maybe a cornerback for a one year prove it deal.

Another thing, i wonder how college football is going to affect next year. If there is no college football season, will the NCAA grant another year of eligibility to the players? I would hope so, a lot of kids are relying on another year to raise there draft stock

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I wonder what other free agents are out there that we could be looking at. Howie did say that the moves are not over. Maybe a cornerback for a one year prove it deal.

Another thing, i wonder how college football is going to affect next year. If there is no college football season, will the NCAA grant another year of eligibility to the players? I would hope so, a lot of kids are relying on another year to raise there draft stock

A guy that I believe is available I wanted (but probably won't grab now) is Logan Ryan.

I wouldn't mind an old Clay Matthews to round out the LB corps

Also Clowney is still out there, but supposedly he wants crazy money still.

Reactions: pacehimself

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
There aren't many franchises who can do things that are seemingly bonkers or questionable that I won't question. I think NE and Baltimore are just about it.
I’d argue those are the franchises that don’t questionable things, hence the implicit trust in their FO’s. New England seems to always find people that fit their system specifically, both in the draft and castaways from other franchises. Baltimore on the other hand seems to always be level headed and take BPA, which in a vacuum doesn’t stand out but over the course of multiple drafts means great players fall to them and they don’t overthink things. The fact that they don’t have more championships is probably more a testament to luck than anything else.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Give y'all some advice, first look at the backup QBs around the league, especially the teams with playoff aspirations.
Now how many could win a game if the starting QB goes down?

Take Dallas, they have Cooper Rush and Thorson as their backup QBs. Dak goes down . . .
SF has Nick Mullens and CJ Breathard.
That's because any QB good enough to start for a bad team IS starting for a bad team.

Doug at least could develop a game plan for Hurts as a rookie that might allow him to steal a game later in the season.

2020 NFL Depth Charts and Rosters | Ourlads.com

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
You don’t spend a 2nd rounder on a plan to win one game. What they want is someone who can go 4-2 if Wentz misses 6 of them and the rest of the team is talented enough to carry the weight.

I don’t buy that it exists and can be kept when you’re paying a starter, but there are always exceptions to the rules. More of those exceptions are going to be vets than young players. Very, very few of them are going to be rookies. If backup QB is a big concern for this year, they should sign a vet.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
let me ask you this, are you comfortable with nate sudfeld as your number 2 if wentz goes down? look at the cults no one expected luck to retire and they were lucky to have brissett as their number 2, if they didnt, they would be tanking.
Of course not, but there are PLENTY of option that are A) better than Hurts on the free agency market and B) less costly than a 2nd rounder for a team with so many holes. Let me ask you this, if Carson retires today are you comfortable with Jalen Hurts as our QB of the future? I'm not. There were players available at 53 that could help us now and long term. Time will tell if this was a smart move, but money is on wasted pick for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that I don't think Jalen Hurts is a long term solution if something happens to Wentz (and I definitely don't think he will somehow unseat Wentz). It appears that we used a second round pick on a guy that is going to be a backup QB for the foreseeable future, and frankly I am not sure that he would even be #2 on the depth chart this year.

The only reason that this pick makes sense is if they know Carson's injuries are worse then are letting on AND they think Jalen Hurts is a franchise QB. If both of those things aren't the case then they blew it. If they are, well ok time will tell.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You don’t spend a 2nd rounder on a plan to win one game. What they want is someone who can go 4-2 if Wentz misses 6 of them and the rest of the team is talented enough to carry the weight.

I don’t buy that it exists and can be kept when you’re paying a starter, but there are always exceptions to the rules. More of those exceptions are going to be vets than young players. Very, very few of them are going to be rookies. If backup QB is a big concern for this year, they should sign a vet.

The problem is the vets that can win games tend to be signed by teams desperate for a QB, often a team that is drafting a young QB but wants a veteran to start for a year while they groom the kid.

I was shocked when I went through NHL rosters looking at backup QBs, I knew they were bad, but not that bad.

"You can sign a veteran", uh, who?
Don't want someone like Newton who thinks he should be starting, that's a recipe for a clubhouse disaster.
The rest just aren't very good.

The key with someone like Hurts is you can give him a package (i.e. a subset of the playbook) that fits his skills and basically do what Buddy did with Cunningham, have him run around and make 4-5 big plays and otherwise don't turn it over.

Look at some of the Eagle backups:
2015: Mark Sanchez 0-2
2014: Mark Sanchez 4-4
2013: Michael Vick 2-4
2012: Nick Foles 1-5
2011: Vince Young 1-2
2010: Kevin Kolb 2-3
2009: Kevin Kolb 1-1
2007: AJ Feeley 0-2
2006: Jeff Garcia 5-1
2005: Mike McMahon 2-5
2002: AJ Feeley 4-1, Koy Detmer 1-0
1999: Donovan McNabb 2-4
1995: Randall Cunningham 1-3
1994: Buddy Brister 0-2
1993: Buddy Brister 4-4, O'Brien 0-4
1992: Jim McMahon 1-0
1991: Jim McMahon 8-3

McMahon and Garcia were smart veterans who lacked armed strength which made them available and able to win in a WCO behind a good defense - but I'm not sure that would work in 2020.
Feeley won as a young QB, Foles was bad as a young QB.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of course not, but there are PLENTY of option that are A) better than Hurts on the free agency market and B) less costly than a 2nd rounder for a team with so many holes.

But there aren't, because teams would sign them as backups.
The ones that are available:
a) want a lot of money and/or a chance to start (Newton)
b) have talent questions (Whinston's arm)
c) are clubhouse problems

Reactions: achdumeingute
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad