OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Well That Just Happened...

Fire Howie?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
That's what I mean. In order for that pick to give significant value our franchise player has to go down, sounds bad to me. And this is assuming Hurts isn't a flat out bust, which odds are he will be.

At least they're not paying him $25million a year for a player who plays the same position as their best player and is an insurance policy because of that franchise player having missed games in the past.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I am surprised that so many people are ok with the Hurts pick. Not necessarily here but in general. Writers, radio hosts, and fans of the team seem to be split almost 50/50. I figured it would be like 90/10. As is the case with all draft picks, time will tell if this pick makes sense, but good grief I still can't wrap my head around it.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I am surprised that so many people are ok with the Hurts pick. Not necessarily here but in general. Writers, radio hosts, and fans of the team seem to be split almost 50/50. I figured it would be like 90/10. As is the case with all draft picks, time will tell if this pick makes sense, but good grief I still can't wrap my head around it.

Like I said on draft night, the fan base is going to return to kissing the ring in short order.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Question about drafting players, I know these guys hold workouts and the teams speak with them, but for things like receivers/TE/RB are the QBs from the pro team allowed to throw to the players to see what kind of chemistry there is?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Like I said on draft night, the fan base is going to return to kissing the ring in short order.

I'm in a spot where I hate the pick, but if we get results it'll be forgiven. Which I think is pretty common.

Drafts are only judged properly until 2 or 3 years later, so I think even if I'm upset now I know I may not feel similarly later.

I've got a feeling I'll dislike this 2 or 3 years later though, tee-hee.

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008

It’s just like the Reagor pick. Everyone lost there mind when it happened, then after a little breather people understood it.

I think there were better positional needs to take in the second, but they must have had Hurts ranked well above the other “developmental” quarterbacks. More likely then not, we will see him play/get a few starts this year. I honestly am a huge Wentz supporter and think this team is gonna go far is healthy. This is just insurance.

I honestly have been saying it for the past couple of years, this team can make a run...just need to be healthy. Hopefully that happens

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I would have been more ok with the #53 pick if they had come out and said, we think he's got outstanding ability, we saw in our playoff game, we learned with one fluke play we need to have talent to fall back on, and now we are paying our starting QB $30 million and can no longer afford a quality backup like in years past.

Not this BS "we got a weapon for our playcaller" and the QB factory BS.

Reactions: pacehimself

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017

let me ask you this, are you comfortable with nate sudfeld as your number 2 if wentz goes down? look at the cults no one expected luck to retire and they were lucky to have brissett as their number 2, if they didnt, they would be tanking.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
let me ask you this, are you comfortable with nate sudfeld as your number 2 if wentz goes down? look at the cults no one expected luck to retire and they were lucky to have brissett as their number 2, if they didnt, they would be tanking.

But the point is that Hurts isn't the only answer to that problem.

You can go sign Flacco or even McCown again to be your #2. We know McCown is at least OK - but you can't expect him to carry an offense with no WRs in that Seattle game. Who can? (very few people). Jameis Winston was unsigned by this time as well.

Being cool with spending a 2nd rounder on a backup instead of a starting CB, DE, S, etc. (who was available at #53) is just insanity to me.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
I would have been more ok with the #53 pick if they had come out and said, we think he's got outstanding ability, we saw in our playoff game, we learned with one fluke play we need to have talent to fall back on, and now we are paying our starting QB $30 million and can no longer afford a quality backup like in years past.

Not this BS "we got a weapon for our playcaller" and the QB factory BS.

I totally agree. I think they really messed up by not being truthful if there intentions. I don’t see it as a slight to Wentz and his contract by just stating the obvious. If Wentz goes down for an extended time, then the season is over

I get that there were other needs. But the cap also plays into it. Trust me, at first i was mf’ing Howie up and down. But it makes some sense...only wish it was a little bit later in the draft.

Essentially it sets us up for a 1a/1b quarterback down the line. Look at the flyers...if Hart goes down for an extended period, i don’t have faith moose can carry us for a long run. Even in the goalie position there is a fine line with back ups. If you sign a big name, or have a big name come up through the system then it’s gonna cause waves regardless.

i just want sports back....

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The question with Hurts pick is do the Eagles have no trust Wentz will stay healthy and or may pull an Andrew Luck and retire early. If that is the case I have zero desire to see Winston or Flacco or that level for 8 games a year in the next 4 years.

If all went ideal Wentz stays healthy, Hurts plays 5-10 plays a game, pick is bad and Hurts walks in 4 years.

For a backup qb the Hurts pick is not defendable. Now if you think Hurts will be Russell Wilson part deaux, then of course you pick and solve the futures issues down the road.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I totally agree. I think they really messed up by not being truthful if there intentions. I don’t see it as a slight to Wentz and his contract by just stating the obvious. If Wentz goes down for an extended time, then the season is over

I get that there were other needs. But the cap also plays into it. Trust me, at first i was mf’ing Howie up and down. But it makes some sense...only wish it was a little bit later in the draft.

Essentially it sets us up for a 1a/1b quarterback down the line. Look at the flyers...if Hart goes down for an extended period, i don’t have faith moose can carry us for a long run. Even in the goalie position there is a fine line with back ups. If you sign a big name, or have a big name come up through the system then it’s gonna cause waves regardless.

i just want sports back....

Yeah. Foles coming in and taking the team to a SB win is a 1% occurrence in today's NFL, barring a situation where someone has been groomed and developed...which is often hard to pull off with a cap structure that encourages playing QBs immediately. Usually when your starting QB goes down your season becomes a tank.

As an outside fan with no emotional attachment to the move, I still don't get it. If Wentz gets hurt again or suddenly retires, I don't see Hurts being ready to take over in the near future without missing a beat. If these guys have Lamar Jackson fever they'd be well served to remember that guy sat and developed with the goal of eventually replacing an old, worn down Flacco. He was NOT an NFL QB in year 1; he was pretty damned bad, actually, but he grew into an NFL QB. I still think you go the normal backup QB route, use that second rounder to build a stronger team (which only benefits any new QB you may need, as well as the existing QB), and then everyone benefits.

If Philly had a QB who was clearly on the way to the end of his career in a year or two then this is a great pick. Without it, I just don't get it or agree with it. Wentz isn't Roethlisberger. If it comes out that he told them he plans on playing one more year and then retiring that changes everything, but that's a massive dose of speculation.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
My services can be acquired for the right price.
tenor.gif

Reactions: Chinatown88

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Ask yourself this question, how many times has the gut reaction of die hard knowledgeable fans and experts been wrong and how many times has GM's that think they know more than everyone else and go out on a limb been wrong? It happens but normally the consensus is correct and the player or coach with the massive upside...never reaches it. This is directed at you Hextall and Holmgren lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->