OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Well That Just Happened...

Fire Howie?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
This draft tells me that Howie isn't worried about his job security.

If they had a first-round grade on Hurts I think it's an excellent pick. QB2 was a definite need and it's an important position, and not having a good one cost them a playoff game last year. I'm fine going down on the ship with this one.

I think Reagor is ~ fine although I like him less after all the other receivers we added. Are they just going to line up 5 wide and go all fly routes all game? CeeDee vs. Reagor + Hurts is incredibly high variance.

Reactions: renberg

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This draft tells me that Howie isn't worried about his job security.

If they had a first-round grade on Hurts I think it's an excellent pick. QB2 was a definite need and it's an important position, and not having a good one cost them a playoff game last year. I'm fine going down on the ship with this one.

I think Reagor is ~ fine although I like him less after all the other receivers we added. Are they just going to line up 5 wide and go all fly routes all game? CeeDee vs. Reagor + Hurts is incredibly high variance.
Seems like they have something like that planned. That appears to be where the league is heading. More protection on QBs and WRs, why not just put out five guys that can burn past everyone? My guess is their plan is to run a lot 3WR/1TE sets with Raegor/Jackson/Jefferey when everyone is healthy and probably Raegor/JJAW/Ward when they are not. THen you have the speedy young guys who may make the team when they go to 4WR sets. Who knows though. I just wish they got that WR from Liberty.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I love Carson but Im excited about the potential about Hurts. Unfortunately I can see many people taking their anger towards Howie/Doug at him.

Reactions: Cody Webster

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They won't line up 5 fast guys, they will still use a lot of 2 TE sets, Ward will be the primary slot guy, and Sanders will get lots of catches.

What one or two speed guys does is force safeties to play honest and open up the underneath routes - if you don't give deep help against Djax or Goodwin or Reagor with Wentz' arm, it's 6 points all day.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I love Carson but Im excited about the potential about Hurts. Unfortunately I can see many people taking their anger towards Howie/Doug at him.

There's that, and then there's also the inevitable chunk of fans who will scream to put Jalen in whenever Wentz throws an incompletion. You guys are gonna have "fun"

Reactions: sa cyred

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I know many football purist will hate it with a passion but... I am curious how 2QBs on the field at the same time would work. From what I am reading, they plan on using 2QBs quite often. Honestly good chance it doesnt work but... meh

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I know many football purist will hate it with a passion but... I am curious how 2QBs on the field at the same time would work. From what I am reading, they plan on using 2QBs quite often. Honestly good chance it doesnt work but... meh

University of Pennsylvania more or less did this while Munger was coach in the mid/late 40s. They had a QB who could scramble, but they also had a HB who could throw as well as any QB. On any given play they'd be handing off to each other or passing to each other (and the rest of the team of course) and in addition, they both had different handedness so they shredded both sides of the field. It gave defenses absolute fits.

They'd probably be remembered more if it wasn't the WWII era with the Academies fielding teams that were as close to pro-level as college teams have ever been.

Edit: Oh and they also had this guy you people might have heard of: Chuck Bednarik.

Edit 2: I don't think this would work in the NFL because the dual passers would also need to be able to block for each other (They did this at Penn), and the list of QBs who can reliably block NFL pass rushers is very short and certainly doesn't include Wentz or Jalen.

Last edited:

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
E14E78F9-778A-4C10-B093-DB16E3627A6D.jpeg

Reactions: IronMarshal

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
No idea who Andy Benoit is but him grading the Packers draft as a B- is hilarious. Then you have Chad Reuter handing out an A or A- like it's candy on Halloween.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
No idea who Andy Benoit is but him grading the Packers draft as a B- is hilarious.

Andy Benoit is the single worst national football writer in the country. He isn't your average luddite columnist or anything like that. He attempts to break the game down into its technical bits and has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

It leads him to pieces with film breakdowns resulting in conclusions like Jacoby Brissett > Russell Wilson in 2019 and Eli Manning Top 10 QB 2 years ago. Or going on a Twitter rant to explain this exotic coverage package that was regular old Cover 6.

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
The Hurts pick will make sense if Wentz gets injured again...they didn’t draft him just for gadget plays. They know that if Wentz goes down, the season is over...if they can coach him up enough, then we have insurance incase Wentz is out for an extended period of time.

with that being said, i don’t like taking him in the second. Buuuuuut, I feel a lot better having a young quarterback with potential next in line to take the reigns.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The whole Taysom Hill thing is overblown imo. You can only realistically give them type of guys so many touches in a meaningful game.

Hurts value is honestly probably more so towards the future if anything as a development piece. He might be better than Sudfield next year but that’s not really saying much. Nick Foles going off for two games in 2017 is more so the exception not the normal.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The Hurts pick will make sense if Wentz gets injured again...they didn’t draft him just for gadget plays. They know that if Wentz goes down, the season is over...if they can coach him up enough, then we have insurance incase Wentz is out for an extended period of time.

with that being said, i don’t like taking him in the second. Buuuuuut, I feel a lot better having a young quarterback with potential next in line to take the reigns.

But I suppose the point is: Yes, it's a way to get a cheap backup (although I wouldn't be shocked if he was the #3 QB on the depth chart next year)...but it isn't the ONLY way to get a backup.

Using a 2nd on a backup QB instead of a starting CB to me is just insanely foolish.

I will never get it unless Carson retires this offseason.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona

That's what I mean. In order for that pick to give significant value our franchise player has to go down, sounds bad to me. And this is assuming Hurts isn't a flat out bust, which odds are he will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad