OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Week One 2020 Onward

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The Eagles have no backup outside corners with James out and they are already starting Maddox.

It stops your QB from getting crushed, reduces INT opportunities, and gives the O-Line a break from fending off pass rushers from killing your QB.

I don't care if they went 3-and-out repeatedly once they were up 17-0. The Skins offense is BAD...but giving them the ball with short yardage on turnovers due to pressure was just bad.

A lot of that is on Doug and a ton is on Carson for not knowing how to get rid of the ball. However, the pass to run ratio is absurd for what the situation was.
At what point do you trust your franchise QB to not turn the ball over 3 times with a 17 point lead? 24-0?

Criticize the actual play concepts if you wish, but the RuN tHe BaLl MoRe takes are lazy.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Criticize the actual play concepts if you wish, but the RuN tHe BaLl MoRe takes are lazy.

They didn't move Wentz around at all. They bizarrely insisted on keeping him largely under Center. They steadfastly refused to spread the field and let him see coverages to make quick throws. It was truly awful.

To quote Ben Solak, "The Eagles went Under Center, Play Action, 2 TEs in, RB 7 Yards behind, and oh no it's Corey Clement on Inside Zone. Nobody cares, right? He's going to pick up 3 Yards on a cloud of dirt." Play Action is great, but you can't have Wentz turning his back to the defense like that in that game state. Horrendous playcalling all around.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I drafted Ertz Goedert and Hockensen .... If Eagles are gonna split catches, Can I trade Ertz for OBJ or is that a bad move. My WR is weak

Golloday Edelman D Jax Aiyuk Jeudy

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You took 3 TEs. Of course your receivers are weak.

They didn't move Wentz around at all. They bizarrely insisted on keeping him largely under Center. They steadfastly refused to spread the field and let him see coverages to make quick throws. It was truly awful.

To quote Ben Solak, "The Eagles went Under Center, Play Action, 2 TEs in, RB 7 Yards behind, and oh no it's Corey Clement on Inside Zone. Nobody cares, right? He's going to pick up 3 Yards on a cloud of dirt." Play Action is great, but you can't have Wentz turning his back to the defense like that in that game state. Horrendous playcalling all around.
Some speculated Wentz's groin was the reason they didn't get Wentz on the move. That would make more sense considering the preseason buzz was about getting Wentz outside the pocket more.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
You took 3 TEs. Of course your receivers are weak.

Some speculated Wentz's groin was the reason they didn't get Wentz on the move. That would make more sense considering the preseason buzz was about getting Wentz outside the pocket more.

Goedert and Hockensen came late lol

Is Ertz for OBJ fair deal ?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Goedert and Hockensen came late lol

Is Ertz for OBJ fair deal ?
Probably. He got 10 targets in a tough matchup. They have Cincy and Washington the next two weeks, but I don't have a lot of faith in that offense. RB split, poor QB play, Cleveland stink, etc. They'll want to justify the Hooper signing too. Njoku is out though so maybe less 12 personnel.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Haven't looked at the numbers but it felt like they really should have gone to more quick-hitters (slants, shallow crossers, quick outs, etc.*). Throwing over the top isn't the only way to utilize speed, and they surely know that given they drafted Reagor and last year planned to have Desean working the middle from the slot.

Just frustrating to see the line collapsing with no help offered at the level of tactics, roughly to the degree of Andy leaving Winston Justice alone on an island. This time it wasn't just one lineman being abused, but I do sense another play caller in love with his original scheme. Would have preferred they'd have just used the simplified offensive from the last few weeks of last season and hope the talent upgrade made the difference. Cut the field in half for Wentz, roll him out, options, nothing requiring exotic timing or blocking from rookies, no 5- or 7-step drops.

* though on gut it seems like franchise hasn't really liked slants for decades, and it's understandable they'd shy away from the outs after being twice bitten.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Fair enough. But holy christ, get that man back into Shotgun and spread the field. Instead they went with 5 Step Drops with his back to the defense and pressure coming from everywhere and a QB that struggles most with pressure. It's ludicrous.

While we're at it, they manufactured zero Touches for Reagor. That's worrisome. He's not a guy you use like DeSean, who if we're being honest, is either injured or done. They can tell me he was healthy all they want, but DeSean Jackson catches up to that deep ball before the Half. It had plenty of hang time.

Haven't looked at the numbers but it felt like they really should have gone to more quick-hitters (slants, shallow crossers, quick outs, etc.*). Throwing over the top isn't the only way to utilize speed, and they surely know that given they drafted Reagor and last year planned to have Desean working the middle from the slot.

Gun Motioning to Empty with quick hits was working. Then they just stopped for reasons I can't fathom. It feels like this game was a checklist of what they wanted to do because they didn't have it in their quiver last year and that's just what was going to happen come hell or high water. That concerns me even more because of what they drafted over and over again in the same class.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Reagor may not be completely healthy still and he missed a lot of reps in camp. They’ve got a ton of problems, and are more likely to be 5-11 than 11-5. They’re not good enough to scheme their way out of it.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I want to write a real reply, but you can't make statements like this and expect people to take you seriously.

If you take away the garbage time 13 yard Draw from Boston Scott on 3rd and 15 on the first possession of the 2nd Half, they Rushed 18 times for 44 Yards. You would have gotten your wish, that's for sure. :laugh:

There was plenty wrong with almosy every aspect of the offense yesterday. We don't need to do this every time.

I understand my blanket statement sounds extreme, but I certainly don't think it would've been less effective considering the layout of the game.

Let's just discuss further I suppose since you clearly don't like my thoughts...what was your ideal scenario of how to play the second half?

Edit: I've since seen you've replied many times since and I better know your stance.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The Eagles have no backup outside corners with James out and they are already starting Maddox.

At what point do you trust your franchise QB to not turn the ball over 3 times with a 17 point lead? 24-0?

No arguments about Carson here - it was an uncharacteristic TO game for him. If anything, he's an awful fumbler and not historically an INT guy. Carson played a terrible game (arguably his worst as an Eagle)...but what I am asking is that considering it was quite clear Carson was looking bad, the line was looking bad against a top Pass Rush, and you have a 3 score lead against an awful roster comparatively...let's play it a little safe and work on the run.

You can call it a lazy take, but clearly tossing the ball when your QB fell apart wasn't a good strategy either. If Carson truly was injured, then even more the reason to get it out of his hands. Getting him moving out of the pocket would've been great (by design - not to run for his life by force), but if he couldn't be mobile then Doug needs to lean a little more on the run game.

I even liked when they went up-tempo for a short bit, but they abandoned that when it was working...although I won't fully blame Doug there for abandoning it since I'm sure they didn't think the O-Line could survive that offense (due to being out of shape backups).

We can disagree, but I genuinely don't think I'm being absurd by asking Doug to not have such a lopsided run/pass total. I know JoJo said it was 18/19 rushes, but I still count 16 rushes (minus a Carson flee for life run). May be splitting hairs, but it was brought up so I'm commenting.

And yes, usually saying just run it more is lazy...but I don't think it's an absurd thought considering the game situation after the 2nd half wasn't going well to begin with.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
So Play Action can work without any running game. I am shocked at this revelation. Stunned, really.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: