OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Preseason Week One Onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
yup...didn't graduate..one of the regrets in life..not so much not graduating..but i really fell lin love with not so much Vegas(though i did like it) but the desert southwest

I don't hate it. Its hot as balls, but I get to pay the bills doing music here. People are just like anywhere else, maybe a little more party oriented, but its a fine city to live in. Really considering buying a house here next year (unless I have to buy Super Bowl tickets, of course).

Reactions: trostol

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Could only watch the highlights because stupid Monday night football.

But what in the fudge was this game? How was there so few points?

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
I wrote in my preseason blog on eagles expectations that the biggest gap between Hurts being a QB1 was his inability to throw to the middle of the field.

Welp. Its only been 2 weeks but couldnt have asked for a better start from Hurts. Looks like an entirely different guy out there. I know this point about Hurts not having back to back playcallers since highschool has been mentioned a ton, and this is just a theory, but to me it looks like he is playing with a level of confidence we have not seen before. maybe its maturation, maybe its improved players around him, but personally I think its his understanding of the offense and where he is supposed to go with the football and why (as it relates to scheme).

It looks like he trusts the playcalling and is taking what the defense is giving him. While that sounds pretty simple, its probably one of the hardest things to do as a qb. the game is slowing down and hes got complete control over the offense.

Only 2 games in and a lot can happen but how fun would a Bills Eagles super bowl be? Drunkest of all time? Least angry matchup ever? Just picturing birds fans and bills fans throw each other through tables while shotgunning beers is an incredible image

Reactions: DancingPanther

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I wrote in my preseason blog on eagles expectations that the biggest gap between Hurts being a QB1 was his inability to throw to the middle of the field.

Welp. Its only been 2 weeks but couldnt have asked for a better start from Hurts. Looks like an entirely different guy out there. I know this point about Hurts not having back to back playcallers since highschool has been mentioned a ton, and this is just a theory, but to me it looks like he is playing with a level of confidence we have not seen before. maybe its maturation, maybe its improved players around him, but personally I think its his understanding of the offense and where he is supposed to go with the football and why (as it relates to scheme).

It looks like he trusts the playcalling and is taking what the defense is giving him. While that sounds pretty simple, its probably one of the hardest things to do as a qb. the game is slowing down and hes got complete control over the offense.

Only 2 games in and a lot can happen but how fun would a Bills Eagles super bowl be? Drunkest of all time? Least angry matchup ever? Just picturing birds fans and bills fans throw each other through tables while shotgunning beers is an incredible image
I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm not saying Hurts doesn't look improved out there, but I am saying it's been 2 games.

This is coming out of the mouth of someone who hasn't believed in the Phillies since spring training, for example. All I'm saying is I need to see more before I start getting excited on a large scale. Which I'm sure you're the same way; I'm not trying to argue, I'm just longwindedly saying I'm still in the cautious phase prior to the cautiously optimistic one

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm not saying Hurts doesn't look improved out there, but I am saying it's been 2 games.

This is coming out of the mouth of someone who hasn't believed in the Phillies since spring training, for example. All I'm saying is I need to see more before I start getting excited on a large scale. Which I'm sure you're the same way; I'm not trying to argue, I'm just longwindedly saying I'm still in the cautious phase prior to the cautiously optimistic one
oh I agree 100%, but we can only base this off of 2 games and there is 0 arguments against him not being an improved player as of now.

I think what I am most impressed with is the offense as a whole. How do you defend it? We've seen the lions blitz a ton and did not spy, and hurts killed them. We've now seen a team sit back and play 2 deep zone with a spy in the middle and hurts picked it a part.

if I am the redskins DC, I am playing nickel cover 2 the entire game and trying to use timely CB/S blitzes. If hurts is able to put up another solid game in that type of scheme....skys the limit.

Reactions: DancingPanther

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
My thoughts on Hurts is that he improved from last season, he improved from last week. There were fewer plays that he left on the field than last week, fewer times that he left the pocket too early, and fewer missed throws. It's always difficult to judge this early in the season because it takes a few weeks to see which teams are legit and which are not. But early signs are encouraging.

I'm getting a little worried about the front 4 being able to generate pressure without a blitz, Reddick dropping into coverage is ... meh. The back 6/7 looks pretty good even without the ability to generate pressure from the front 4. I'm not sold on Gannon.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I like to correct the things that I realize I get wrong, so on the Quez TD, the coverage bust was actually by the Vikings' Corner. The Safety ended up looking foolish, but he played it completely right. Minnesota was playing QQH, which means the Corner has the Man Outside Deep. He should be with Quez.

Basically, credit Goedert for creating the bust by running an excellent route that got the attention of the Corner.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
My thoughts on Hurts is that he improved from last season, he improved from last week. There were fewer plays that he left on the field than last week, fewer times that he left the pocket too early, and fewer missed throws. It's always difficult to judge this early in the season because it takes a few weeks to see which teams are legit and which are not. But early signs are encouraging.

I'm getting a little worried about the front 4 being able to generate pressure without a blitz, Reddick dropping into coverage is ... meh. The back 6/7 looks pretty good even without the ability to generate pressure from the front 4. I'm not sold on Gannon.
I think we will see that change this week. I'd have to go back and check, but id wager the opposing QB's have gotten the ball out quicker vs us than maybe any other team in the league. seems like 2.5 seconds has been the avg on drop backs. Tough to rush the passer when the ball is gone that quick.

Against a QB like Wentz who likes to play the hero and not give up on plays, I am going to predict 3+ sacks on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad