OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Preseason Week One Onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I think we will see that change this week. I'd have to go back and check, but id wager the opposing QB's have gotten the ball out quicker vs us than maybe any other team in the league. seems like 2.5 seconds has been the avg on drop backs. Tough to rush the passer when the ball is gone that quick.

Goff got the ball out very quickly -- 2.47 average time to throw, lowest for Week 1.

Cousins did not -- 2.78 good for 21st in Week 2.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Crazy how .3 seconds has that much of an impact. appreciate you finding this! Where do you find stats like this? I need to bookmark it for next time.

Happy to help anytime! The NFL actually provides it now.

Reactions: FatTugboatFlahr

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
Don't know if this is a hot take or a cold give, but I'm saying don't sleep on the Lions. I love their offense, and with Jameson Williams working his way back from the injured list, they have scary good skill position players. Of course, they also have Goff, but their OC is mint right now.
Would not sleep on them either, they might be better than advertised. That's also why it's hard to say too much one way or the other in the first few weeks because the teams that were supposed to suck might be better than expected and vice versa.
I think we will see that change this week. I'd have to go back and check, but id wager the opposing QB's have gotten the ball out quicker vs us than maybe any other team in the league. seems like 2.5 seconds has been the avg on drop backs. Tough to rush the passer when the ball is gone that quick.

Against a QB like Wentz who likes to play the hero and not give up on plays, I am going to predict 3+ sacks on Sunday.
I could see that because its also a former teammate playing against the D for the first time, everyone is amped. So my concern with the defensive front isn't necessarily the lack of sacks its the lack of getting any pressure, moving the QB, and making the QB nervous -- I didn't watch the 2nd half maybe that happened, but we have a talented front 4 that really should not be allowing clean pockets.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Would not sleep on them either, they might be better than advertised. That's also why it's hard to say too much one way or the other in the first few weeks because the teams that were supposed to suck might be better than expected and vice versa.

I could see that because its also a former teammate playing against the D for the first time, everyone is amped. So my concern with the defensive front isn't necessarily the lack of sacks its the lack of getting any pressure, moving the QB, and making the QB nervous -- I didn't watch the 2nd half maybe that happened, but we have a talented front 4 that really should not be allowing clean pockets.
incoming @JojoTheWhale eagles DL pressure rate stat

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
incoming @JojoTheWhale eagles DL pressure rate stat

With public data, this is going to give you different answers based on how you decide to look at it.

By straight Pressure%, they're 31st with an absurdly low 9%.

By something like ESPN's Pass Rush Win Rate, they're 10th at 44%. The vast majority of the productivity there comes from Sweat, Graham, and Milton Williams.

I would interpret that as saying three guys are getting all of their pressure. Some of that is by design and some of it is not. But it's clearly a problem.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
With public data, this is going to give you different answers based on how you decide to look at it.

By straight Pressure%, they're 31st with an absurdly low 9%.

By something like ESPN's Pass Rush Win Rate, they're 10th at 44%. The vast majority of the productivity there comes from Sweat, Graham, and Milton Williams.

I would interpret that as saying three guys are getting all of their pressure. Some of that is by design and some of it is not. But it's clearly a problem.
I hate to keep asking you....but any chance there is data on the top team with the highest pressure rate and the correlation to the QB in avg time to throw?

Hypothetically, if eagles were last in D pressure, but 1st in QB time to throw...I am ok with that because it would signify teams are gameplanning around a good DL and are saying we need to get the ball out quick before the rush gets to the QB.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I hate to keep asking you....but any chance there is data on the top team with the highest pressure rate and the correlation to the QB in avg time to throw?

Hypothetically, if eagles were last in D pressure, but 1st in QB time to throw...I am ok with that because it would signify teams are gameplanning around a good DL and are saying we need to get the ball out quick before the rush gets to the QB.

This would require some data manipulation that I don't currently have time to do, unfortunately.

What I can tell you is that many pass rush metrics only include wins/pressures in the first 2.5 seconds to filter out coverage effects. Of the two above, Pass Rush Win Rate includes only the first 2.5 seconds while Pressure% includes the entire Down.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
oh I agree 100%, but we can only base this off of 2 games and there is 0 arguments against him not being an improved player as of now.

I think what I am most impressed with is the offense as a whole. How do you defend it? We've seen the lions blitz a ton and did not spy, and hurts killed them. We've now seen a team sit back and play 2 deep zone with a spy in the middle and hurts picked it a part.

if I am the redskins DC, I am playing nickel cover 2 the entire game and trying to use timely CB/S blitzes. If hurts is able to put up another solid game in that type of scheme....skys the limit.

Del Rio will not do that. Fear not.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Just what we needed.

c9LecO0.gif

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Just what we needed.

With all these gambling sponsorships, the revenue really should skyrocket even further for the NFL. The synergy effects for TV networks and the NFL itself should be massive.

I might be overreacting and I have always liked Hurts the person far more than the player but I wonder if things keep going the way they have trending over the first two weeks, I wonder how soon Howie will approach Hurts camp over an extension to get ahead of further potential inflation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad