OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Offseason Edition: Eagles Select 13th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Trade back in the first, there isn't anyone in a position of dire need there that we should take at 13 IMO. Move back into the 20s and try to pick up a second.

If Bradford is gone:

Round 1-Connor Cook
Round 2-OL
Round 3-Leonte Caroo, DL
Round 4-LB
Round 5-OL
Round 6-OL
Round 7-DL, WR

The Eagles don't have a 2nd, right? I'm going OL with my first pick, even if Sam is gone. I'd rather build from the line out and sign one of the garbage QBs out there for short term. Hell, I'd take a year of Sanchez to ensure that the OL is repaired.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The Eagles don't have a 2nd, right? I'm going OL with my first pick, even if Sam is gone. I'd rather build from the line out and sign one of the garbage QBs out there for short term. Hell, I'd take a year of Sanchez to ensure that the OL is repaired.

His first sentence, haha.

Trade back in the first, there isn't anyone in a position of dire need there that we should take at 13 IMO. Move back into the 20s and try to pick up a second.

Also, it looks like the asking price for a team to get Payton is a 2nd, but i've also seen it mentioned that they'd want a fourth because Payton isn't going to want to give up more than that for a team he's going to.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
His first sentence, haha.

Also, it looks like the asking price for a team to get Payton is a 2nd, but i've also seen it mentioned that they'd want a fourth because Payton isn't going to want to give up more than that for a team he's going to.

I don't reading comprehension today.

I'm not sure how they'd pick up a 2nd though. Maybe someone will give up a 2nd for Riley Cooper and any other garbage we don't want!

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

That was under the idea that they trade their #13 pick to move back into the 20s and pick up a 2nd rounder in the process.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
So Adam Gase is interviewing in the next few days. Not the defensive minded coach people wanted, but the guy is considered to be a extremely sharp young mind. Connects with QBs well pretty much making every QB he has coached into a competent one.

Lurie only likes offensive-minded guys. I wouldn't mind McDermott, but I'd bank on a Gase.

Bonus to Gase: Alshon Jeffrey is a FA this year I believe. Could be an in for us if he's hired.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Without making any trades it looks like the eagles will have 9 picks for the next draft, I believe the order will be, (unless the Pats get their 1st round pick back)

1st - 13th
3rd - 76th
3rd - 79th (Lions pick traded last draft)
4th - 108th
5th - 140th
5th - 148th (Pitt, for Boykin)
6th - 172nd
7th - 204th
7th - 221st (Cards, for Barkley)

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
My approach to the offense in the offseason would be as such

First of all, everyone on this roster is available at the right price. You offer me a 2nd round pick for Jordan Matthews, sorry J-Matt but you are gone. 3rd rounder for Kendricks? See ya.

The asset allocation on this roster is completely out of proportion mostly due to Chip's GM f ups last offseasons.

You have to clean up the RB position. You probably are not going to be able to off-load Murray so he becomes the focus of your offense going into next season. I love Sproles but you can find his type of talent in the draft at a much cheaper price. Similar for Matthews. Focus your late picks on identifying RB talent that can translate into an eventual starter for this team in 2017. The rest you scrap.

OL - Peters, Tobin and either Barbre or Gardener should be gone. Someone will overpay for Peters you cannot make another financial mistake and bring him back at the level he is at. The obvious move is to flip Lane to the left side. If they get a HC who will want to implement a power scheme I think Kelce needs to be looked at as well. He is just not big enough to move guys (see Miami game as an example). At this point you need a RT and at least 2 Gs or 1 G and 1C. The draft should be able to net at least 2/3's of that equation. G's should be your focus from the 3rd round on. You need to net a tackle in the first two rounds period.

Bradford in my eyes has done enough to warrant an extension. As the GM I would franchise him. Give him a full year under a new HC and evaluate if he is able to duplicate his 2nd half of the season. His play from the second half of the Dallas game on was borderline elite. I am comfortable going forward if that is the Bradford we see. 4th and 5th rounds you need to identify a potential future guy IMO. Always draft QBs, you never know how some may pan out and surprise.

WRs/TEs - Cooper is an obvious cut. They also need to move on from Celek and add another dimension on the outside. I am not on the dumping all the money on a FA WR train. What they need mostly is speed. Speed should not come at a high price tag IMO. Turn to the draft again to identify this type of talent in the mid rounds. Look at the dimension a guy like Brown added to the Cardinals offense. It is all about talent evaluation at this point. This is where the Eagles have clearly failed over the elite teams like Arizona and Carolina, teams that have been able to pluck those guys drafting at similar slots compared to Philadelphia.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So if this stuff about Manziel is true, his career is over.

He failed to check in with the medical staff on Sunday, which players with concussions are required to do. He didn't have to attend the game against the Steelers but he's rumored to have been in Vegas on Saturday.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
So if this stuff about Manziel is true, his career is over.

He failed to check in with the medical staff on Sunday, which players with concussions are required to do. He didn't have to attend the game against the Steelers but he's rumored to have been in Vegas on Saturday.

Not as long as Jerry Jones is running the Cowboys.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Manziel is clearly unwell and suffers from alcoholism. He really does need help.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Ike Reese and Mike are freaking out on each other arguing about Bradford.

Definite listen-worthy

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
You have to clean up the RB position. You probably are not going to be able to off-load Murray so he becomes the focus of your offense going into next season.

OL - Peters, Tobin and either Barbre or Gardener should be gone. Someone will overpay for Peters you cannot make another financial mistake and bring him back at the level he is at.

Bradford in my eyes has done enough to warrant an extension. As the GM I would franchise him. Give him a full year under a new HC and evaluate if he is able to duplicate his 2nd half of the season. His play from the second half of the Dallas game on was borderline elite.

WRs/TEs - They also need to move on from Celek and add another dimension on the outside. I am not on the dumping all the money on a FA WR train.

For the sake of debate on what they need:

1) I'm okay with Murray being here if you fix the o-line and have a different coach. Kelly didn't use Murray for what he was to do, and Murray can't live on a line that's awful. Murray gets his scaryness from hitting a hole that's always open. Sproles can thrive because he makes his own. Just fix the line a little and Murray will be a contributing RB. I don't believe for a second he just dropped off from leading rusher to an actual third-string RB.

2) I agree, except for Peters possibly. I'd keep Peters if he doesn't continue to be a jerk. He's clearly declined, but he's still better than most of the line - and I'm not sure we're in a position to kick out one of our only competent linemen.

3) Agreed. Bradford has done well and I think either a 1-year deal or franchise (whichever, I don't care) keeps him here.

4) Why Celek? What has he done other than produce when it's thrown to him?

I'd also say that I'm on board to get a WR that can catch the ball. I don't think speed plagued this offense at all; it was CATCHING the ball. How many times have you watched Bradford throw a very good pass only to be dropped by Matthews, Agholor, Miles, Ertz...every single one of them, basically.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I'd also say that I'm on board to get a WR that can catch the ball. I don't think speed plagued this offense at all; it was CATCHING the ball. How many times have you watched Bradford throw a very good pass only to be dropped by Matthews, Agholor, Miles, Ertz...every single one of them, basically.
Whoa, watch out. I learned yesterday you're not allowed to criticize young Philly athletes.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Ike Reese is a Bradford "hater". From his Twitter throughout the year he doesn't even look at it objectively.

He clearly is.

Bradford is a good quarterback. When I say that (as many others here do), I think we mean that he's about a 3rd-4th tier guy (in the Stafford, Tannehill, Cousins range). He's not great, but it looks like he can actually get it done. He never had an offense in St. Louis and he barely ever saw the field.

He didn't have much here either, but I saw a guy who CAN throw the ball and doesn't make bone-headed plays all the time. With all of our problems, that is something we need to hang onto if we can. Only downside is...whether by design or lack of ability, he barely threw the ball deep. We need that if we want to compete. Can't throw under-15 yards all game and expect the defense to not key in on that.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Whoa, watch out. I learned yesterday you're not allowed to criticize young Philly athletes.

It seems that way at times.

And don't get me wrong: I think Ertz, Matthews, and Agholor are/can be goooooood players...

But they didn't get it done many times this year. Agholor in particular was bad, but he's a rookie. He's got time to prove it still.

Coppy

Apr 30, 2011
Coughlin officially steps down. I'm really going to miss him. Watching him throw fits on the sideline as the Giants pissed away game after game was one of the most entertaining things in sports.

I agree with everything here. I didn't know Floyd was potentially going to be released. He has been beyond solid for AZ and hes the type of guy that can blow the top off a defense.

His salary gets bumped up from 3.2 million this year to 7.3 next year. Plus Fitzgerald gets an increase from 10.8 to 15.8. That and the emergence of John Brown has made Floyd somewhat redundant. Given that, a lot of people are speculating Arizona will either trade or outright release him.

PhillyWings

May 10, 2010
PA
1.Shurmur
2.Gaze
3.Pederson
4.Payton

Of course the Eagles are in a tough spot. With Roseman still in the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad