OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Kansas City at Philadelphia (Sept. 19, 8:25 p.m. ET; NFLN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
i think Kelly was 100% sure that the Chargers would score that field goal and was trying to gain more time to make a play by taking timeouts.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
@Eagles: Coach Kelly: @MikeVick had a good day throwing the ball ... But I do think we left too many points out there on offense.

He should talk about the D and not a damn thing else.

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
Looking over the box score makes it even more frustrating. Vick throws for 428 yards and 2 TD's, no INT's and only sacked once but we still lose.

The Chargers offensive numbers are just insane:
539 total yards
33 first downs
10-15 on 3rd down
Rivers sacked one time

The run defense wasn't as poor as I was expecting it to be but the pass defense was every synonym for bad. Doesn't matter how many guys they blitzed, Rivers would still stand back there all day and complete a pass to a wide open receiver. All they had to do was make one cut and it would leave their defender in the dust. Even dropped 8 guys back into coverage didn't help as they were still open.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
they couldnt get a pass rush against a team with King Dunlap as a tackle, they need pass rushers badly. A good pass rush can make a secondary look good.

Rodgers will have the best game ever by a QB against them.

Last edited:

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Everyone on ESPN's pregame show just picked the Eagles over the Chargers. The superstitious pessimist in me just said "CRAP."

Not gonna say "I called it," because technically I didn't, but that feeling sure was prevalent before the game and kept building during it.

Reid loves to throw the ball, Eagles pass defense sucks. I'd side with the Chiefs D before I side with the Eagles'. Could be a quick start to 1-2.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Boykin was the only man in the secondary today who looked like he knew how to play. And even then he had one or two pretty bad plays.

The worst bit was that with such poor play in the secondary they were having to put extra men in coverage and therefore give Rivers all the time on earth to throw as there were maybe 3 guys going after the QB, and holes to run through as well... and they still got the completions when the secondary was stacked.

No worries though... I hear Lito Sheppard is still a free agent. :sarcasm:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
still got to feel optimistic about the future of this team, as long as chip can learn from his mistakes. Plus the NFC East looks terrible this year.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I don't know how long I can watch Nate Allen. What a garbage safety, another waste of a 2nd round pick. Can't tackle or cover.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Not gonna say "I called it," because technically I didn't, but that feeling sure was prevalent before the game and kept building during it.

Reid loves to throw the ball, Eagles pass defense sucks. I'd side with the Chiefs D before I side with the Eagles'. Could be a quick start to 1-2.

Hey may love to do it, but the drop off between Philip Rivers & Alex Smith is enormous. I get that the Eagles D sucks, but Alex Smith is an atrocious QB. They may run the ball 40 times for 300 yards, but I don't see Smith torching this D in the way Rivers did.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Hey may love to do it, but the drop off between Philip Rivers & Alex Smith is enormous. I get that the Eagles D sucks, but Alex Smith is an atrocious QB. They may run the ball 40 times for 300 yards, but I don't see Smith torching this D in the way Rivers did.

I think your overrating Philip Rivers. Yeah, he had a nice game against the birds defense, but who doesn't? Outside of rg3 of course :laugh:

Not saying that smith is better or anything like that, but Rivers isn't a superstar quarterback either.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly

Going back to 2011

Player A:
63.8% completion, 3.4:1 TD/INT ratio, 1.4%INT percentage, 7.2 Yards/Attempt, 95.1 Rating
Record: 21-5-1

Player B:
63.6% completion, 5:3 TD/INT ratio, 3.0%INT percentage, 7.5 Yards/Attempt, 90.4 Rating
Record: 16-18-0

Player A is slightly better in completion percentage, much better in TD/INT ratio and throws INTs generally half as often, just slightly worse in yards per attempt, but has a better rating and his team did better with him at QB.

Player A is Alex Smith, Player B is Philip Rivers. Now, they're obviously in different systems with different coaches and everything, but you got Rivers way ahead of Smith, which he really isn't. Smith did well recently, but then got hurt and subsequently outplayed by Kaepernick. Add to it the sentiment most "experts" espouse that Reid is good with QBs, and Smith might be even more polished.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So Trent Richardson was traded to the Colts for JUST a 1st round pick.

You kidding me...

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So Trent Richardson was traded to the Colts for JUST a 1st round pick.

You kidding me...

Eh, I don't think the trade is that bad. They could have probably gotten more, but I'm not sure how much more. Trent Richardson was hyped a lot, but in this day and age, if you aren't an Adrian Peterson type of player in the backfield, you aren't going to be that valuable. Richardson is better than a lot of the backs out there, but with all the rotating of backs that happens in the NFL, the value just isn't there. Richardson barely cracked the top 20 of running backs for rushing yards, it's not like he was ripping it up. Granted he is young and has plenty of room to run, I'm not too sure what people think his value SHOULD have been.

Frankly I think the Browns are crazy for trading him at all just because their team is so bad. I wouldn't have traded him regardless of the offer. But if I was going to deal him, trading for a first rounder in a year where there are some pretty good players coming out of the draft would be very enticing. Depending on how the rest of the season shakes out, the Browns could potentially walk away with Clowney and their QB of the future. If it shakes out that way no one will remember Trent Richarson.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Eh, I don't think the trade is that bad. They could have probably gotten more, but I'm not sure how much more. Trent Richardson was hyped a lot, but in this day and age, if you aren't an Adrian Peterson type of player in the backfield, you aren't going to be that valuable. Richardson is better than a lot of the backs out there, but with all the rotating of backs that happens in the NFL, the value just isn't there. Richardson barely cracked the top 20 of running backs for rushing yards, it's not like he was ripping it up. Granted he is young and has plenty of room to run, I'm not too sure what people think his value SHOULD have been.

Frankly I think the Browns are crazy for trading him at all just because their team is so bad. I wouldn't have traded him regardless of the offer. But if I was going to deal him, trading for a first rounder in a year where there are some pretty good players coming out of the draft would be very enticing. Depending on how the rest of the season shakes out, the Browns could potentially walk away with Clowney and their QB of the future. If it shakes out that way no one will remember Trent Richarson.

Agree. Basing Richardson's value off of where he was drafted, like a lot of people are, is a poor assessment. In today's day and age, taking a running back that high is just not good value. Their production is so dependent on the guy's playing in front of them. Combine that with the short "life spand" of an NFL RB and well it's just not a smart idea. Richardson's a good player, but he's not worth what people think he is, not to mention his injury history. I said it at the time, the Browns were crazy taking him that high. They could have filled a position(s) of value or traded the pick or mustered up the picks to get RG3.

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
still got to feel optimistic about the future of this team, as long as chip can learn from his mistakes. Plus the NFC East looks terrible this year.

It will take much longer than 2 weeks for this team to figure everything out. A whole new system on both sides of the ball... we need to give them some time to get it together. And I'm not talking about mid-season. I'm talking a whole season or two. I am sticking with my prediction of 8-8 at best this year. But we should all definitely feel optimistic about the future.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I actually like the move for both teams actually.

Indy improves their run game with Trent. Now he won't be seeing teams stack the box as much with having QB that teams actually have to respect handing him off the ball.

Cleveland adds another 1st rounder & makes their team pretty much a guarantee for top 5 pick if they weren't already & if not they could always use their pick & Indy's to move up to pick their guy (which I would assume is a QB & possibly Bridgewater).

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Indy's offense will be sick. Andrew Luck was the happiest person in the world last night I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad