OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Kansas City at Philadelphia (Sept. 19, 8:25 p.m. ET; NFLN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersguy33*

terrible hiring

---------------------------
(Mod edit)
ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8849699/chip-kelly-bolts-oregon-ducks-coach-philadelphia-eagles

Oregon coach Chip Kelly will be the new coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, the team announced Wednesday.

Kelly re-emerged as a candidate recently and an agreement was just reached Wednesday, league sources told ESPN.

"Chip Kelly will be an outstanding head coach for the Eagles," said owner Jeffrey Lurie said in a statement. "He has a brilliant football mind. He motivates his team with his actions as well as his words. He will be a great leader for us and will bring a fresh, energetic approach to our team."

This will be the 49-year-old Kelly's first head-coaching job in the NFL.

The Eagles had interviewed Kelly early in its search for a replacement for longtime coach Andy Reid, talking to the coach in Arizona after the Ducks' 35-17 Fiesta Bowl victory over Kansas State.

But sources had told ESPN after the meeting that Kelly had decided to stay at Oregon. The school never made an official announcement regarding Kelly's employment with the team, however.

Kelly is 46-7 in four years as head coach at Oregon. The Ducks have been to four straight BCS bowl games -- including a bid for the national championship against Auburn two seasons ago -- and have won three Pac-12 championships.
-------------------------------

Prior thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1266017

-------------------------------

2013 Schedule -- http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/schedules/schedule.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Before throwing the guy under the bus, how about we allow him to get a full season into his contract. Let's see what innovative ideas he can bring to our offense. This is the reason Philly is such a great sports city and pathetic sports town. Let's give him a chance before announcing he is a terrible coach.

Last edited by a moderator:

flyersguy33*

Before throwing the guy under the bus, how about we allow him to get a full season into his contract. Let's see what innovative ideas he can bring to our offense. This is the reason Philly is such a great sports city and pathetic sports town. Let's give him a chance before announcing he is a terrible coach.

no nfl experience. runs an offense that doesnt work in the nfl. Ill give him a chance. it'll be an interesting experience

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
no nfl experience. runs an offense that doesnt work in the nfl. Ill give him a chance. it'll be an interesting experience

His main philosophy is to run an up tempo offense that prevents the defense from substituting, that works at any level when it's done effectively.

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
I think he'll be smart enough to adjust his offense to the NFL. I'm more concerned about who he brings in the run the D.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
My prediction, Vick is still gone (assuming he still won't restructure his deal), and the Eagles sign Alex Smith to compete with Foles.

Smith has some tools to be successful in the system, and he's clearly not in SF's future plans.

EDIT: I'm not saying that this plan will work...just that it will happen.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I thought he was staying at Oregon

He never said he was if I am seeing all the reports right, the AD announced he was. There is a rumor that The Eagles were in the middle of interviewing Gus Bradley last night when Chip Kelly personally called the Eagles and told them he was interested.

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
I would say no. but maybe he will make some adjustments. Eagles are going all in with this one

There's no QB in the draft to use with the #4 pick. Are there any free agents that would fit? I'd say give Foles a shot. He never got to play behind a healthy O-line. McCoy was out for some of the games he started. Jackson was out. I'd like to see what he can do with the "real" offense.

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
My prediction, Vick is still gone (assuming he still won't restructure his deal), and the Eagles sign Alex Smith to compete with Foles.

Smith has some tools to be successful in the system, and he's clearly not in SF's future plans.

Isn't the 49ers O-coordinator linked to another job? Jax maybe? Is it possible he takes Smith with him? I know he got benched this year, but he has played well the last 2 seasons. I wouldn't mind bringing him in.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
He will succeed if he hires a good d coord and completely changes his offensive playbook. The up tempo part is great and would love to see the eagles run it but his actual plays won't work in the NFL...too much relying on better talent and not on blocking.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009

I was thinking this. Might as well.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
Not a good example... Brady is almost the undisputed best QB ever to play in the NFL.

1. Manning is better

2. Brady makes the example more relevant since he is much more similar to Foles than any of the running QB's that Oregon has used and they are making it work. Obviously Foles can't execute on the same level as Brady but I don't think anyone is expecting an offense that is on the same level as the Patriots.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
This is interesting to say the least, considering how he said he was staying at Oregon not two weeks ago.

I wonder if the Eagles had this up their sleeves the whole time. I just don't understand the hard push for Bradley. Maybe they were trying to steal him as a D-coordinator?

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
. Maybe they were trying to steal him as a D-coordinator?

Could be. Make him the highest paid coordinator and give him full control over that side of the ball, compared to Seattle, where, given Caroll's background, I'm assuming he has less than full control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad