OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): 2014 Regular Season: Eagles beat the Texans 31-21!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
My contention is; this team would be good enough to win a Super Bowl with Foles as QB with a rebuilt secondary, a star inside pass rusher, and a big legitimate slot receiver.

Thus, I'd rather stay the course with Foles and use picks and assets to make those things happen, rather than taking a risk on a new QB and leaving those, more pressing issues imo, untouched.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Winston maybe?

v8wxGIH.gif

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Winston maybe?

I could see him dropping for obvious reasons, but I'm not crazy about him. He has great arm talent, but has some mechanical issues, he's not very mobile, and he hasn't played a real quality defense in his career.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
My contention is; this team would be good enough to win a Super Bowl with Foles as QB with a rebuilt secondary, a star inside pass rusher, and a big legitimate slot receiver.
that is asking a heck of a lot, really

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I think it's foolish to sour on a quarterback who's in his FIRST full year.

They're 6-2. And 8-0 if Chip made two better play calls.

Chip has lost more games than Nick and I'm a HUGE Chip fan

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think it's foolish to sour on a quarterback who's in his FIRST full year.

They're 6-2. And 8-0 if Chip made two better play calls.

Chip has lost more games than Nick and I'm a HUGE Chip fan

Eh, the NFL is very different than other sports. There isn't much of a "learning curve" once you are a regular starter. He's an average QB. That is not a bad thing, as I think we can win with an average QB, but he is nothing more than that. Look at the starters in the league right now, who would you take Nick Foles over? The names are not impressive.

For me it's:

Carr
Fitzpatrick
Davis
Hoyer
Manning (Eli, obviously)
Bortles (if we are talking one game, long term I'd take Bortles)
Geno Smith/Michael Vick
Glennon

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I just don't know how realistic it is to expect the Eagles to plug a rookie QB in on a team with Super Bowl aspirations. In a perfect world, Chip would have gotten his QB with the 4th pick two years ago. Unfortunately there wasn't a franchise QB in that draft.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Foles is under contract through the end of next year. He will be the starter next year and if plays well than they will have to pay him.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
They can win a SB with Foles as the QB.

They have the offensive line, running backs, and special teams they need to win, they would just need to bolster the WR depth, and most importantly build a good defense. Foles would just need to be efficient ala early Roethlisberger, or Russell Wilson.

You don't need an elite QB to win if you're very good everywhere else, it's just easier.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They can win a SB with Foles as the QB.

They have the offensive line, running backs, and special teams they need to win, they would just need to bolster the WR depth, and most importantly build a good defense. Foles would just need to be efficient ala early Roethlisberger, or Russell Wilson.

You don't need an elite QB to win if you're very good everywhere else, it's just easier.

I agree, but this roster isn't that talented.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I agree, but this roster isn't that talented.

No not currently. I think the special teams is, and that the offense will be with an upgrade to WR #2, maybe Matthews will be that. The defense would need to be upgraded a lot. But honestly with the way the team is constructed we both know it's easier to get some impact players on D then it is to find a franchise QB.

They need an impact OLB. They may need to replace Ryans as I'm not sure what the recovery time is for his injury, but there's a possibility that at his age he may be done completely. They need an upgrade at safety and could use an upgrade at corner. That's a lot to ask, but it's easier to do then find an elite QB unless Sanchez falls on his face or gets hurt and they lose out.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
They have significant holes. Almost any draft pick is fine.

Not limited to:

WR2
Secondary needs upgrading
D-line pick is always good -- need another legit rusher
LBs
O-line is getting long in the tooth in a few spots. O-line is always a solid unsexy pick.
RB - Shady great, but he's getting older. If he hits that RB wall, ow. A lot of positions need guys to groom. Sproles isn't an every snap back, Polk has an injury history and the verdict is still out on Huff, who is more of a multiheaded tool right now then a true back.
QB (depending on how the organization really feels about Foles)
TE (later round if makes sense -- Celek getting a little long in the tooth -- but he can block thank god - huge help when they use him to block and then he sheds it to become another receiver depending on the play or help set the edge on a run-- part of the reason Ertz isn't out there in every play)
Kicker and longsnapper look fine.
Special teams got some nice upgrades recently.

I'm sure I'm forgetting somewhere.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Not limited to:

WR2
Secondary needs upgrading
D-line pick is always good -- need another legit rusher
LBs
O-line is getting long in the tooth in a few spots. O-line is always a solid unsexy pick.
RB - Shady great, but he's getting older. If he hits that RB wall, ow. A lot of positions need guys to groom. Sproles isn't an every snap back, Polk has an injury history and the verdict is still out on Huff, who is more of a multiheaded tool right now then a true back.
QB (depending on how the organization really feels about Foles)
TE (later round if makes sense -- Celek getting a little long in the tooth -- but he can block thank god - huge help when they use him to block and then he sheds it to become another receiver depending on the play or help set the edge on a run-- part of the reason Ertz isn't out there in every play)
Kicker and longsnapper look fine.
Special teams got some nice upgrades recently.

Yeah I think this is a good assessment. If they are standing pat at lets say 20-25 I think they should be targeting one of the following players:

Vic Beasley (DE/LB, Clemson)
Sammie Coates (WR, Auburn)
DeVante Parker (WR, Louisville)
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (CB, Oregon guy...you know that's the pick if he is there)

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

Not limited to:

WR2 Might/Should be Matthews
Secondary needs upgrading Definitely
D-line pick is always good -- need another legit rusher D line isn't that big of a concern
LBs This is where I think the pass ruhser needs to come from
O-line is getting long in the tooth in a few spots. O-line is always a solid unsexy pick. Definitely going to need a tackle and a guard, but Peters/Mathis should have a couple years left
RB - Shady great, but he's getting older. If he hits that RB wall, ow. A lot of positions need guys to groom. Sproles isn't an every snap back, Polk has an injury history and the verdict is still out on Huff, who is more of a multiheaded tool right now then a true back. Right now this is their strength, but is McCoy falls off...
QB (depending on how the organization really feels about Foles) Not going to be able to upgrade unless they get lucky
TE (later round if makes sense -- Celek getting a little long in the tooth -- but he can block thank god - huge help when they use him to block and then he sheds it to become another receiver depending on the play or help set the edge on a run-- part of the reason Ertz isn't out there in every play) TE isn't a concern
Kicker and longsnapper look fine. Agreed
Special teams got some nice upgrades recently. Agreed

There's a lot of potential holes, but there aren't a lot of glaring immediate issues. The real worry is if McCoy falls off. Then they're left with nothing at RB, and an average QB. As it stands now the main missing pieces are disruptive players on defense. They need an elite OLB, and another good starting safety. The corners could use an upgrade, but generating a pass rush and having a better, smarter safety are the primary concerns.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Are there any good DB's available in next years draft? Cary Williams needs to GTFO.
Ironically the #1 CB by some, Marcus Peters just got kicked off his team today. Cross him off.

There's a lot of potential holes, but there aren't a lot of glaring immediate issues. The real worry is if McCoy falls off. Then they're left with nothing at RB, and an average QB. As it stands now the main missing pieces are disruptive players on defense. They need an elite OLB, and another good starting safety. The corners could use an upgrade, but generating a pass rush and having a better, smarter safety are the primary concerns.

McCoy is great, but RBs are replaceable as long as you have the pieces up front. Kelly's RBs have always produced.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Ironically the #1 CB by some, Marcus Peters just got kicked off his team today. Cross him off.

McCoy is great, but RBs are replaceable as long as you have the pieces up front. Kelly's RBs have always produced.

RB's are replaceable, but there's a big drop off from McCoy to a random RB. They would also need to use resources on an RB that they could otherwise use on D where they need the most help. They'll need to draft a RB soon though. i think we agree that the best thing for the team is for McCoy to still be good for the next 2-3 seasons.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Foe me it is at least one more OLB who can consistently get to the QB. Your secondary doesnt have to be all that impressive when you get to qb, look at the Giants in 2007. But a safety and another corner would be next on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad