OT: Philadelphia 76ers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Time will tell if Colangelo pulled a shrewd move over on Ainge. Glad both picks are #1 protected.

I like so far what I've seen and heard of Fultz...looks like the real deal.

No to Love.....agree...need to slow cook a bit more. Sign a player like J.J. Redick and we would be golden for the season....provided no long term injuries of course.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I have a feeling Boston will take Tatum, unless they trade the pick. He worked out for them today, Jackson has not worked out for them yet.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't see Jackson making any sense for the Celtics. He's basically a better version of Jaylen Brown, essentially making last year's #3 pick a waste. I think he's certainly a better player, but you're not going to get great value for a guy like Brown via trade, and they don't fit together. Tatum at least makes more sense for them as an offensive weapon. I personally just don't understand why they didn't take Fultz and trade IT, whose trade value will never be higher. They have too many lead guards.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Colangelo did fantastic here. I think this is a trade that works out for both teams since Boston is guard heavy and probably wanted to go in a different direction anyway. That being said, one future first round pick is all it took to get the deal done and if one of those picks ends up being 1st overall the Celtics don't get it. Great work.

On the Kevin Love thing, I am all for it assuming the cost isn't that high. If it's something like Okafor and a couple of 2nd round picks sign me up.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Colangelo did fantastic here. I think this is a trade that works out for both teams since Boston is guard heavy and probably wanted to go in a different direction anyway. That being said, one future first round pick is all it took to get the deal done and if one of those picks ends up being 1st overall the Celtics don't get it. Great work.

On the Kevin Love thing, I am all for it assuming the cost isn't that high. If it's something like Okafor and a couple of 2nd round picks sign me up.

I wouldn't say Big Collar Colangelo did a fantastic job. There is no fleece like Hinkie did with the Kings or even the MCW trade at least not on its face just yet. I think though he did a good job and has been fairly measured with his approach. He got pretty fair value to move up and I am glad he didn't bite on Butler with the Bulls reported offer for 3. So far he hasn't botched the process in any measurable way...thankfully. Did find it odd how Ainge showed so much deference and respect for the Colangelos when explaining the trade from the Celtics POV. I doubt he would do that with Hinkie....

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
What if both protections come in to play? Like it goes either back to back 1st picks which would be protected. Just goes to 2020 unprotected?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I wouldn't say Big Collar Colangelo did a fantastic job. There is no fleece like Hinkie did with the Kings or even the MCW trade at least not on its face just yet. I think though he did a good job and has been fairly measured with his approach. He got pretty fair value to move up and I am glad he didn't bite on Butler with the Bulls reported offer for 3. So far he hasn't botched the process in any measurable way...thankfully. Did find it odd how Ainge showed so much deference and respect for the Colangelos when explaining the trade from the Celtics POV. I doubt he would do that with Hinkie....

Just a matter of perspective and opinion. To me, one future first round pick which is number 1 overall protected, when you already have two extras and all of your own is a pretty small price to pay to get the best player and fit for your roster in the draft. It also signifies the end of the process and a clear cut commitment to winning now. I don't think the Celtics got ripped off by any means because it makes sense for them. I just it makes even more sense for the Sixers and it's the type of bold move where it is acceptable to "overpay" and he absolutely didn't have to do that.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
What if both protections come in to play? Like it goes either back to back 1st picks which would be protected. Just goes to 2020 unprotected?

A. Celtics get 2018 Lakers 1st round pick if the pick is 2, 3, 4, or 5.
B. If it is 1 or 6 or later the Sixers get it.

C. If B happens the Celtics get the better of the two picks between the Kings and Sixers in 2019.
D. However, if the better of the two picks end up being the 1st overall pick, the Sixers keep it and the Celtics get the worst of the two picks.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
A. Celtics get 2018 Lakers 1st round pick if the pick is 2, 3, 4, or 5.
B. If it is 1 or 6 or later the Sixers get it.

C. If B happens the Celtics get the better of the two picks between the Kings and Sixers in 2019.
D. However, if the better of the two picks end up being the 1st overall pick, the Sixers keep it and the Celtics get the worst of the two picks.

That's a fantastic deal.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
The trade meets a critical need for the organization, and the protections remove the risk of it becoming a disaster. Its far too soon to know whether its a "steal." That will depend on where the pick ends up falling. Looking at it now, I wish Colangelo had been able to squeeze just one or two more spots worth of protection out of the future firsts (1-3 could be superstars in both years), but that's the risk they take. There's also a chance that the trade ends up really bad for the Celtics.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
It actually is not that great of a deal. For so many reasons. Knowing colangelo it could've been way worst.

Might be the only person (other than Bob from philly.com) that feels this way... not that this is abnormal. It's ok though, scouts, executives, fans, etc all disagree with you

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Trade the #3 and a highly protected 2018 or 2019 pick to draft what's mostly decided as the best player in the draft.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
We have plenty of time to hear what these "so many reasons" are.

1. It was clear as day the celts did not want fultz. They want jackson or tatum
2. The sixers are the only team in the nba with enough assets to actually trade for the first overall pick.
3. Believe it or not the sixers had the upper hand here. we basically traded a top 5 pick to leap frog a team. that is terrible value.

4. The reason why it was terrible value is something important to consider. While the sixers have accumulated a ton of assets lately we still don't know what we have. Embiid looks like a generational talent but can he stay healthy? Will Ben Simmons be effective without a jumpshot in this league? Instead of staying at 3 and potentially having lonzo ball fall into our laps or have the choice between tatum and jackson. Two players who could turn into important pieces if embiid or simmons fail to become who we hoped they would.

If the sixers had the first overall pick I would pick fultz , but i do not believe he is worth the risk of giving up a great future draft pick.

The sixers did ok here out of a scale of 1-10 they probably did a 4. what really saves them are the restrictions of the picks.

The celts on the other hand got 10/10. They got a great future asset for apick they did not want, and they will still end up getting the player they want .

Going forward the sixers have no known quantities. And giving up a future top 5 pick is not what you do when you have such a wide open future. If we were a fultz away from being contenders it makes sense but we are not.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It was a great deal, the dropoff between Fultz (the only sure thing in this draft) and everyone else was substantial, and Fultz is the perfect fit for the Sixers. That's certainly worth #2-5 in either draft. Not every high draft pick pans out, Turner, Jah, even Noel at #6 turned out to be a good but limited player.

It's no different than trading up to get Nico in this draft, NJ would certainly demand a top 3 or 4 pick in this draft plus a top pick in next year's draft at a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad