OT: Philadelphia 76ers: The tank is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I really like Ingram, but Simmons has gotta be the pick. That skillset is just too much to pass up. 6'10 silky smooth and a handle? I'm sold. I'm a sucker for players that stuff the stat sheet. This guy will be a triple double threat every time he is on the floor. The lack of jumper is scary, but he did shoot 67% at the line so I don't think he'll exactly be Rondo. I think he's too good of an athlete not to at least develop a respectable jumper, but maybe that's just the fan in me.

Simmons did like a random fans Sixers fan's post on Instagram FWIW. ;)

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I feel the same way ^^^. I don't follow college basketball so my impressions come from watching video of these guys. The more I see of the two of them the more I think that Simmons is just too tantalizing and too rare a talent to pass up. That combination of size, athleticism, and skill just doesn't happen often. Ingram will probably be an elite scorer in the NBA, Simmons will be a player that makes everyone around him better.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I've been on the Simmons wagon from the get-go. No slight against Ingram because I like him as well, but the pick should be Simmons, he just offers too much to pass up. The only question I have is his shooting (obviously) but you hope BB can help him improve in that regard. Everything else is just noise (attitude issues, only wanting to play in LA, etc.).

We've seen with players like MCW and MKG that improving a shot is easier said than done. Not everyone can improve like K. Leonard can. If he can develop a some-what respectable shot, he'll be deadly. I'm getting excited at the thought of him and a heathly Embiid on the same floor.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I was an Ingram guy from last summer until about February. Simmons' skill set made me flip flop and to me looks like the surest bet to become a top 10 player.

Listened to that Brown Interview posted in the last thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxFzjyE_qKI

My feelings from it...
-He loves Embiid and Saric. Embiid's scans and everything has been perfect.
-I'll be thunderstruck if Simmons wasn't the pick.
-Knows how bad last year went and one of Okafor/Noel will be gone, one might say liberated from the team.
-They're going to put effort into free agency.

Last edited:

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Hmm, didn't realize Dellavedova is a RFA.

-Cavs are capped out and are unlikely to use significant money on Irving's backup.
-He's a great catch and shoot 3pt shooter and a decent defender at the PG spot, so a nice fit with fellow Australian Simmons.
-Has a history with and a big fan in Brett Brown.

Could be a free agent they're looking at. I wouldn't mind at the right price.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Hmm, didn't realize Dellavedova is a RFA.

-Cavs are capped out and are unlikely to use significant money on Irving's backup.
-He's a great catch and shoot 3pt shooter and a decent defender at the PG spot, so a nice fit with fellow Australian Simmons.
-Has a history with and a big fan in Brett Brown.

Could be a free agent they're looking at. I wouldn't mind at the right price.

I like Delly, in the same fashion I like TJ, but do you see him being a full-time NBA starter?

3&D is clutch, but I just remember him wearing down in last year's Finals. He can most likely be priced out of Cleveland, and if the Cavs go ahead and win (they look so silly good, and almost bored), I can see him signing here. I just feel as though if he's on the floor as the marshal, everyone else needs to be tip top. Cause he's not that threatening in the Eric Snow with AI manner.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
So long to the tank!!!!

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
So long to the tank!!!!

Well not yet, when season starts, the team needs to show chemistry, not making the same dum turnovers. also be able to close out games.

the biggest improvement i want to see is us not having the flat times in the game, usually coming out after halftime and a team puts 20 in a row on us or blowing a 12 pt lead after 3. those right there kill us.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Yea. That did happen a lot last year.

If Embiid is healthy
If Saric joins
If Simmons is the selection

Should be a watchable year

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Intrigued by Okafor trade too but wary of Embiid never getting on the floor

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I like Delly, in the same fashion I like TJ, but do you see him being a full-time NBA starter?

3&D is clutch, but I just remember him wearing down in last year's Finals. He can most likely be priced out of Cleveland, and if the Cavs go ahead and win (they look so silly good, and almost bored), I can see him signing here. I just feel as though if he's on the floor as the marshal, everyone else needs to be tip top. Cause he's not that threatening in the Eric Snow with AI manner.
I mean he plays 25mpg already, another 7mins shouldn't be a problem. TJ and Snow can't shoot anywhere close to Delly. He's legitimately great at spot up shooting. Absolutely abysmal finisher at the rim though. He could be good in a secondary ball handler / creator role with Simmons as the top dog.

CoutseysCorner92

Jul 19, 2010
Is it bad that I am already thinking about the fact that the Sixers will swap 1st round picks with the Sacramento Kings next year if the Kings end up with the higher pick? With Rondo heading to free agency and some of the lower tier Western conference teams on the rise (Twolves, Lakers, Pelicans), I think there is a good chance the Sixers are picking in the top 3 again next year!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
As well as likely having the Lakers' pick, which even at 6-8 is likely to be a better prospect than 4 was this year. There are 3 high school senior PGs and one international PG alone I would take over Kris Dunn going forward. Tatum and Jackson are wing prospects on an entirely different level than Murray et al. Obviously a lot can change in a year (RIP Labissiere).

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Is it bad that I am already thinking about the fact that the Sixers will swap 1st round picks with the Sacramento Kings next year if the Kings end up with the higher pick? With Rondo heading to free agency and some of the lower tier Western conference teams on the rise (Twolves, Lakers, Pelicans), I think there is a good chance the Sixers are picking in the top 3 again next year!

well with a better record I think sixers would pick around 6-10 in lottery so hopefully the kings are real bad to get 1.

hope the lakers are a bit better to finish out of top 3.

sixers could be getting 1 and 4 next year.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Oh man, #1 next year would be amazing. Simmons this year, Jackson next year. Trade Okafor for the #3 and take Jamal Murray. If the Lakers wind up outside the top 3, maybe we could grab our PG then too. I'm intrigued by D'Aaron Fox.

1 Fox
2 Murray
3 Jackson
4 Simmons
5 Embiid/Noel

Wow

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
As well as likely having the Lakers' pick, which even at 6-8 is likely to be a better prospect than 4 was this year. There are 3 high school senior PGs and one international PG alone I would take over Kris Dunn going forward. Tatum and Jackson are wing prospects on an entirely different level than Murray et al. Obviously a lot can change in a year (RIP Labissiere).
I haven't done a ton of research on '17 freshmen yet except Jackson, so I can't really compare Dunn to those PGs. But there's a lot to like about Dunn. Size, length, athleticism, defensive potential, play making potential (PnR, drive and kick). He needs some work shooting, though he hasn't been bad the last two years on 3s, and a lot of those 3 point attempts are off the dribble. Rim finishing was much improved this year though he kinda sucked from mid range. It's been suggested that since he had so much responsibility on that Providence team his 3pt shooting could be deflated while his turnover numbers could be inflated.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Brett Brown sounds like he really likes Dunn. Not sure he's a fit with Simmons though. :dunno:

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Brett Brown sounds like he really likes Dunn. Not sure he's a fit with Simmons though. :dunno:

could that mean after they get simmons they would get dunn but getting the trade back into draft would have to happen.

I wonder if BC has had any contact with ainge, the other team that's in my mind is PHX could we make a move with them, they need alot of things. Plus they have 2 picks already.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
If anyone here is interested this is one of the newer bloggers out there:
http://www.deepishthoughts.com/author/kaiser-lindeman/
http://rubesdraftnotes.blogspot.com/

Sixers fan and really smart guy. His prospect rankings have some guys rated way higher than the consensus but he ranks based purely on how much star potential he thinks a prospect has. He's not interested in using picks on players with "average player" upside, because stars is how you win in this league.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I haven't done a ton of research on '17 freshmen yet except Jackson, so I can't really compare Dunn to those PGs. But there's a lot to like about Dunn. Size, length, athleticism, defensive potential, play making potential (PnR, drive and kick). He needs some work shooting, though he hasn't been bad the last two years on 3s, and a lot of those 3 point attempts are off the dribble. Rim finishing was much improved this year though he kinda sucked from mid range. It's been suggested that since he had so much responsibility on that Providence team his 3pt shooting could be deflated while his turnover numbers could be inflated.

I don't disagree with any of this. It's also a tough comp because you have a greater than 4 year age difference in some cases.

Playing for Providence absolutely held him back a bit, much as LSU did Simmons. The steals are obviously tremendous and I'm sure I don't have to remind you how well they translate, but while he's a very good athlete and he seems to have pretty good offensive awareness despite the turnovers, I don't see him as either athletic or smart enough to be confident he'd ever be a top 5 PG. He's sort of got 80% of either side of the coin, but it still doesn't add up to 100 to me. Top 5 PGs are freaks, even by NBA standards.

What's a success for a Kris Dunn draft pick? A healthy Bledsoe? A healthy Holiday? Does it take as much as Rondo with a better shot?

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad