OT: Philadelphia 76ers: Process engaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Some interesting comments about Embiid's situation from a buddy of mine who played College B-Ball.

Either way...training staff better start concentrating on Embiid's mechanics and training regimen more than trying to find doctor's half way across the world to deal with his many injuries...

I was thinking the same thing all along. If you're new to basketball the stresses it places on the body are tremendous. The court is called hardwood for a reason and to minimize knee and foot injuries you learn instinctively at a young age how to take off and land all the while making cuts and 'awkward' movements because someone is trying to stop you from getting past them and to the rim. He does not have the benefit of training in basketball from a young age so he's going to be flawed when it comes to mechanics. He should be spending as little time in the gym as possible and consume fewer calories. The regular season is more than enough conditioning and he's going to need another year or two to be fully healthy, if ever.

It's kind of like running. You can't expect to just start running if you're overweight. You have to walk for while first to get your ligaments used to the new exercise. Then your foot and ankle need to gradually work in some jogging so you build all the small muscles in unison for pushing off and landing. When someone puts on weight like Embiid (or Simmons) there should be no surprise that these injuries happen. If he can cut his weight down he might have a chance. He does not have to be that big/muscular. He has the natural size and athleticism to stop any big on D. Hopefully the geniuses on the training staff figure this out, but they're paid to think the other way, which is counterintuitive. Basketball strength and condition are unique.

I think Embiid needs work on his calf muscles. It's all tied together.

Sound like no one ever taught him how to jump and land properly. I didn't start playing basketball until eighth grade and I really didn't learn the right technique until exposed to it a Junior in HS for high jump in track. The key to take off is to drive yourself into the ground as hard and fast as possible which is where all power & stress are generated. There are a bunch of proven ways to increase your vertical, but #1 is leg strength combined with lowest possible weight.

At his size he doesn't need to do one leg take offs. Should easily be able to two-foot jump from anywhere near the rim to finish.

In case you didn't see this before. Watch how this guy takes off....and lands https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsPsKLjw-SI

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I don't think Embiid's basic problem is that he doesn't know how to jump and land properly. Remember, he was a highly regarded volleyball prospect- I believe one of the top French clubs wanted to bring him to France to play professionally for them. The difference is that in volleyball you don't have to worry about traffic. You get a clean takeoff and landing. In basketball, especially the NBA, not so much. Which gets back to the fact that he has to be more aware of his surroundings, where he is on the court, and learn to play within himself. You can't be 7'2" and play like a guy that's 6'2". I think it's basically that simple.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
I think its pathetic that so many players want the league to shorten the season to 50 games..... Man the **** up, its really becoming softer than baby ****, can no longer hand check, cant even play physical like they used to and now they act like a bunch of *******....oh my **** hurts, we only wanna play 50 games, but yet arent will to take pay cuts.... Sport is going to ****

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
It would be perfect for Embiid and the Sixers....although I would like around 60.

I thought the lockout shortened season in the NHL was a better product TBH....helped the Flyers

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
82 is A LOT, imo. But 50 is a little low for my liking.

Thats what im saying but the way these guys are *****ing about is kind of ridiculous (i know guys get tired) but almost cutting a season in half is ridiculous,i think if the league really wants them to cut down on resting guys they need to make having the #1 and #2 seed more valuable. 1st and 2nd seeds maybe getting a bye week like they do in football i could see would be a good way to stop some of the resting, but in doing so they need to cut down preseason games and start the season earlier so they dont have as many back to backs (even though hockey players do it and dont ***** as much)

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think Embiid's basic problem is that he doesn't know how to jump and land properly. Remember, he was a highly regarded volleyball prospect- I believe one of the top French clubs wanted to bring him to France to play professionally for them. The difference is that in volleyball you don't have to worry about traffic. You get a clean takeoff and landing. In basketball, especially the NBA, not so much. Which gets back to the fact that he has to be more aware of his surroundings, where he is on the court, and learn to play within himself. You can't be 7'2" and play like a guy that's 6'2". I think it's basically that simple.

Whatever the reason ....he needs to get his mechanics in order and rein in his play with reckless abandon because he is on his 3rd surgery as of 90 mins ago (meniscus). No real details....will be operated in an undisclosed location.:help:

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Sixers are only one game up on the Kings and they play GSW on Friday while we play the Bulls. Starting to look like a real possibility that we swap picks this year.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Sixers are only one game up on the Kings and they play GSW on Friday while we play the Bulls. Starting to look like a real possibility that we swap picks this year.

I hope they jump in to the top 2 or 3 and push the lakers out to #6 :laugh: that would be prefect for us.

However i want to stay as far away from lonzo ball and his annoying egotistical father as humanly possible

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I hope they jump in to the top 2 or 3 and push the lakers out to #6 :laugh: that would be prefect for us.

However i want to stay as far away from lonzo ball and his annoying egotistical father as humanly possible

It'll be interesting to see if anyone passes on Ball because of his dad. Lonzo seems like a good kid and even seems to realize that his dad is a "distraction".

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
It'll be interesting to see if anyone passes on Ball because of his dad. Lonzo seems like a good kid and even seems to realize that his dad is a "distraction".

Ive noticed that as well but i really feel his dad will try to be too involved and create too many issues, thats just my opinion though

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

I was hoping for the swap, but honestly it's just 1 pick still, we will get the better one regardless.

it's that Lakers pick I want to steal.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I was hoping for the swap, but honestly it's just 1 pick still, we will get the better one regardless.

it's that Lakers pick I want to steal.

Yeah, but if the Kings continue to drop that at least makes it easier to enjoy when the Sixers win.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Pummeled. Men against boys.

Another one for the tank...

Kanter really went to work last night. I'd be happy if Okafor turns out to be a similar player. He's also only 24; thought he was like 30.

Is the Kings pick top 10 protected this year or not? If not Sam really got over on them.

If the pick falls outside the top 10, it goes to the Bulls. If it's inside the top 10, the sixers have the option to swap. We don't get their pick outright, we'd basically be trading our pick for theirs. We do have a future unprotected 1st from them in 2019.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think the only reason Jah's been playing the last couple weeks is the doctors determined he couldn't injure the knee further, and they're trying to get Splitter in shape b/c you have to play someone. As soone as Splitter is ready, I expect Jah to go on injured reserve and then to the operating room.

Something is wrong when you have to ice your knee in the 1st Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad