OT: Philadelphia 76ers (NBA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
If the Sixers and Lakers have an identical record for the 3rd spot at the end of the year, it comes down to a coin flip, correct?

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
If the Sixers and Lakers have an identical record for the 3rd spot at the end of the year, it comes down to a coin flip, correct?
The coin flip is for non lottery teams.

From wiki: In the event that teams finish with the same record, each tied team receives the average of the total number of combinations for the positions that they occupy.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
I think moving him to the 4 and away from the rim is a huge mistake. He can be a perennial Defensive POY candidate playing center, plus he's just a better fit at the rim. Obviously having Embiid is going to force them to try something different, but I just don't think him going to the 4 is going to work out

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I think moving him to the 4 and away from the rim is a huge mistake. He can be a perennial Defensive POY candidate playing center, plus he's just a better fit at the rim. Obviously having Embiid is going to force them to try something different, but I just don't think him going to the 4 is going to work out

This experiment should be interesting......I like him at center as well but with Embiid coming on board next season might as well get him primed a bit. Shouldn't set his development back much if at all....we'll see.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
He actually did a good job contesting shots last night despite playing more outside the paint. Cavs were 3/12 against him. Notice how our defense was better in the 4th quarter when he was playing back at center. This is because teams don't drive at him, because they know he'll send it back. In the first three quarters Sims and Aldemir were at center, the opposing team could attack them without any fear. Now imagine an actual rim protector (Embiid) in the paint and Noel roaming around and coming in from the weak side... They're going to wreak havoc. Offensively we need to surround them with shooters and we really need Noel to eventually become a respectable shooter from 15-19 feet to optimize the pairing. He has a lot of work to do with his shot but it has significantly improved since college. Noel's passing ability and driving ability will help the pair succeed.

I also don't think they're going to be playing a ton of minutes together early on. I only expect Embiid to play something like 28 mpg next year, so that means there's plenty of minutes left at center for Noel and the team would have a big advantage having at least one elite rim protector out on the court for 48 mins.

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011

@ 4 he won't be putting up those ridiculous defensive stats but I still think he can have a significant impact defensively there.

Think of what Kentucky does today with all those bigs. The amount of perimeter shots they are able to contest just on their sheer length is astounding. I imagine Noel having a similar impact there with his quickness and length able to quickly get on a stretch 4's face and contest the jumper.

It may not end up giving him DPOY but in the end it is all about wins. Teams barely shoot 30% against Kentucky mostly due to that length.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
@ 4 he won't be putting up those ridiculous defensive stats but I still think he can have a significant impact defensively there.
The blocks might be down for a bit until he gets comfortable. Davis and Ibaka rack up a ton of blocks playing PF, Noel will too. I don't think his steal rate will be hurt. He's too quick, smart, and long not to rack those up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad