OT: Philadelphia 76ers (NBA): Season starts Nov. 1 at WAS; home opener Nov. 2 vs. CHI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Sixers making tank job abundantly clear

Winless for Wiggins..nice!

According to Bovada, the Miami Heat are the heavy favorites to win the 2013-14 NBA title. You know which team isn’t a heavy favorite to win the 2013-14 NBA title? The Philadelphia 76ers, who are actually a heavy favorite to lose lots of basketball games and potentially acquire lots of ping pong balls in next year’s overstuffed NBA draft. Bovada has the Sixers listed as a 300/1 longshot to win the championship. Only the Bobcats and Magic (500/1) have worse odds, which is really a disservice to Charlotte and Orlando. The Magic got a lot better this offseason. And the Bobcats, while still awful, will be hard pressed to equal the Sixers’ ineptitude this season.

That’s what Hinkie has created so far. And bless him for it.

Tank Town. Tank City. Winless for Wiggins. Whatever slogan you prefer, it all adds up to the same thing: The Sixers are rightly sacrificing today (and tomorrow and many of the days to follow) in order to clear cap space and prepare for next year’s NBA draft, where they figure to have five picks, including two first-rounders.

Again, it’s a solid plan. It’s also striking how plainly Hinkie and the Sixers have made that plan known. Look at the salary cap. It’s way up there at $58.67 million. Now look at the Sixers’ current salary commitments. It's way down there, currently around $43 million –- and that’s after the Sixers added Tony Wroten.

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-sixers/sixers-making-tank-job-abundantly-clear

flybynite77

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
Well the 5 picks in the 2014 draft is a bit misleading because two of those picks are second rounders from Houston and Brooklyn which both are likely going to be in the last 6 or 7 picks of the entire draft.

However, the Sixers are looking at 3 picks in the top-35 since their second round pick is likely to be very high. Worst case scenario for the Sixers this draft is probably that they fall out of the top 3 picks and end up picking 4th with their own pick and one of the teams that jump into the top 3 is New Orleans so New Orleans keeps their pick (top-5 protection).

Best case scenario is Sixers win draft lottery and get Wiggins and New Orleans ends up in that 6-10 range and doesn't win the 2nd or 3rd pick in the lotto. Giving the Sixers the first overall and another top-10 pick.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Fear of flying isn't necessarily uncommon but interesting in that it could be the reason a player didn't travel.

BILBAO, Spain - New 76er Royce White tried last week to dispel any speculation that air travel would hinder him from playing for the team this season.

However, the 6-foot-8 forward, who has an anxiety disorder, wasn't among the 14 players who flew here Thursday. The Sixers will face Bilbao Basket on Sunday at the Bizkala Arena at Bilbao Exhibition Center. On Tuesday, they'll face Oklahoma City in Manchester, England.

"It really was just based on our team doctor giving me and [general manager] Sam [Hinkie] and the club advice that it may be best for him to remain at home," Sixers coach Brett Brown said of White's absence. "You know we are with him. We will support and help him."

It was widely believed that White's perceived fear of flying contributed to his failure to play in the NBA last season.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/deep-sixer/White-left-off-European-trip.html#gLtyULpkpMz2Ohgs.99

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Fear of flying isn't necessarily uncommon but interesting in that it could be the reason a player didn't travel.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/deep-sixer/White-left-off-European-trip.html#gLtyULpkpMz2Ohgs.99

I know Sixers are in all-out tank mode, but they should at least get the scrubs they sign to actually play/practice with the team. Either "B.A. Baracus" this guy or release him. I don't like the team sucking but understand it for this year, but I like less a team that sucks with guys who collect a check and do nothing (looking at you, Bynum).

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Watched some of the game yesterday before the birds came on. Nice to see some ball movement on offense instead of isolation every other possession. No shooters but nice to see. Hawes looked awful.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
winless for wiggins

count me in im game. well i can watch a few of my teams, warriors and bulls and hope they win, and when i get a 76ers game on the tube, i will cheer for them to lose, every game lol

Phileeguy

Oct 7, 2010
Philly
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/10/09/nerlens-noel-bought-an-i-hate-sidney-crosby-shirt/

bwlrcqvccaa2rqh.jpg

Noel just endeared him to this town more than Bynum ever did all last year IMHO.

E: I should've made it more clear than just posting a link that got truncated: Nerlens Noel bought an "I hate Sidney Crosby" tee shirt.

Last edited:

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Riggin’ for Wiggins

Gonna be an ugly year but possibly a great offseason and draft....

Winless for Wiggins. Riggin’ for Wiggins. That’s what they’re calling it these days. ‘It’ being the tanking NBA teams are expected to enact this season in order to land the NBA draft’s grand prize: University of Kansas freshman Andrew Wiggins.

The 76ers are less than two weeks away from embarking on their 2013-14 campaign and no, Sixers head coach Brett Brown and general manager Sam Hinkie are not tanking. They are simply strategically filling out the Sixers' roster with players who have upside, but are not impactful. Fourteen of the 20 players currently on the roster have two years or fewer of NBA experience

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-sixers/sixers-unofficial-plan-riggin-it-wiggins

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
When does college BBall start? I'd be interested to watch this kid, and whats to say he comes out this year?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
When does college BBall start? I'd be interested to watch this kid, and whats to say he comes out this year?

He'll come out...the money he is going to be showered with will be too tempting. He's pretty much a lock right now to come out early..provided he doesn't have some serious injury but even that won't stop him.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He'll come out...the money he is going to be showered with will be too tempting. He's pretty much a lock right now to come out early..provided he doesn't have some serious injury but even that won't stop him.

And Noel Nerlins is supposed to be a pretty elite defensive C, right?

So if they get this Wiggins kid, who is what? Lebron-lite?

They'll have Wiggins/Nerlins, do they still have whoever they took #2?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
And Noel Nerlins is supposed to be a pretty elite defensive C, right?

So if they get this Wiggins kid, who is what? Lebron-lite?

They'll have Wiggins/Nerlins, do they still have whoever they took #2?

Yeah and they will have cash to sign some impact FA's if they want to come here of course.

Yeah they still have the #2..and that is an appropriate characterization of him..a #2 piece o crap...

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
That's right, so they'll have Nerlins + Wiggins and then a ton of cash to lure Lebron.

lol

Phileeguy

Oct 7, 2010
Philly

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I think he will get some games toward the end of the season. But its better for them to say don't expect anything so a repeat of last year with Bybum doesn't occur.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I can see it now. Sixers finish with the worst record in the league, lose the lottery, and watch Wiggins beat the Sixers in the finals. Sounds like something that happened to a Philadelphia franchise before.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The NBA you only have a 25% chance of getting the first pick if you finish last. I will guarantee that if the Sixers have the worst record they don't win the lottery. Some other team is in more financial trouble or they have a new owner will win it. NBA lottery is fixed.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
The NBA you only have a 25% chance of getting the first pick if you finish last. I will guarantee that if the Sixers have the worst record they don't win the lottery. Some other team is in more financial trouble or they have a new owner will win it. NBA lottery is fixed.
Either way, Jabarai Parker,Julius Randle and Marcus Smart are not bad consolation prizes. Not to mention we have the Pelicans pick, which is only top 4 protected.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino