OT: Philadelphia 76ers: It’s Great To Have A Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Our gal Doris told us all that 81% of Giannis' points this year have come from inside the restricted area.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Jimmy was great tonight. Did what we got him for in the 2nd game. Getting him doesnt change the timeline of the team though tbh.
This team wont realistically challenge for the title until Simmons offense is more polished, Jo's fitness is more uniform, and they both become better decision makers late.
Those things take time.

The reason the Sixers are in this position is because their young players have really high floors but they aint gonna challenge for the title until those players hit the ceiling.
Our bench is even younger and rawer than our starters (Shamet, Fultz, Zhaire when he returns) so expect the up and downs to continue.

The DHO is becoming the Sixers versionof the point shot. Its a crux. You can tell the players have no idea what to do in the midst of Brown's freeflowing offense so they often just resort back to the same DHO in the same two spots over and over.

Of course we blow leads when the defense has us figured by late in the 2nd quarter. Need to switch it up. Really souring on Brown's offensive scheme if this is the depth he's got it to after a year plus with this core.

Why run the same DHO to the same one dimensional shooter when you have ballhandlers with size who can exploit the switch just as effectively????

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
As frustrated as I get with this team, I'm willing to give it about 40 games. When the season started, you had Saric who couldn't score, also a brand new starting lineup. Then Saric started playing well, the Starting lineup was used less. Brown was finding a home for Fultz in the 2nd unit, then they traded 2 starters and are now trying to fit a Top 20 player who can be ball dominant. Simmons and Embiid have NEVER played with a guy like this. It's going to take TIME to figure this thing out. Simmons is extremely athletic and smart. You have to give him more than 2 games to find a spot and where things will open up with Butler on the floor. His FT shooting has improved, the numbers are slightly improved, but you can see that it looks a lot better.

Reactions: Jack Straw

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
imagine if this fo had the guts to fire bb after the celtics playoff loss and we come back with same roster with a better coach, i think this team would be playing alot better than the celtics. i dont think it matters how much talent we put on this team if the coach keeps letting the same things happen.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Imagine if fans actually were patient with a young team and player development.

Look around the NBA, for every King James, there are 3 or 4 players who need a few years to refine their game, Mr Butler is a good example, RoCo went from end of the roster to 1st team defense and 40+% 3 point shooting.

Defense will always be the Hallmark of a BB team, and with all the changes it will take time to jell, but look at last season, once they jelled, even without Embiid, they rolled.

As far as Simmons, he just has to be able to score from 15' in, if he ever develops a 3 point shot (and lots of players don't until their later years) that will be gravy, but as we're already seeing with Fultz, if you can penetrate and score in the paint, all you need is a pull up jumper you can hit consistently to be a scorer. Otherwise, his passing, rebounding and defense can make him an elite player.

Shamet, Korkmaz can shoot, Chandler is decent, I think Muscala is struggling with the mask right now, he shot 39% the previous two years.
So with Reddick they have 3 point shooting.
They need Embiid to keep shooting, if he can get his 3 point % over 35%, that opens up the lane when he goes outside, forcing the opposing big man to follow.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Ok, I’m not too proud to ask... “DHO”? “Dribble hand off”? “Door half open”? “Don’t have options”?
Dribble Hand Off is correct. Specifially referring to the screen rolls you see them run a million times just inside the arc

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Brown has his brown spots but he is a player's coach and they do respect and play hard for him. Do they play smart in a sustainable way particularly against elite teams they have to have playoff success against.....remains to be seen. A bit premature to call for Brown's head but do want to see the dumb stuff cleaned up by the playoff stretch. Let's just be thankful we have no major injuries to Embiid and even Simmons and that continues!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
This is how a team grows. There are adjustments to be made, some major, but having experience beyond the first round of the playoffs is something that matters. I still have trust in Brown that he'll end up where he needs to be.

The thing I want to see right now is Simmons finding himself with a guy like Butler playing so many Minutes. That's an adjustment and it's going to take time.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
8th ranked Nova loses to Furman tonight after getting smoked by Michigan earlier in the week

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Guy has no interest in improving his game.

Vorachek - I don't think his cap space is worth it. For that cap hit I want a guy capable of leading you in the playoffs. Its nothing against Vorachek as a player, its simply asset management from my point of view.

And I don't know what everything has to be about ****t$$$$ng on someone if you're not 100% on board with a player, coach, or whatever.

I view guys like sommons and vorachek as valuable pieces that could be used to improve the team. Just because I think that way doesnt mean I';m saying they suck, i hate them, whatever

Hard to take someones opinion on a player seriously if they don't even know the dudes name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad