Phil Kessel vs James Neal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Kessel is slightly better than Neal, but not the grand canyon gap that people here are giving. I still rather have Neal @ 5mil /yr than Kessel.

Over the last 3yrs
Kessel scored 2.1pts/60min, Neal 2.0

2 best wings are Tarasenko and Perry IMO

Difference is Kessel can legitimately help carry the weight of the offense. His shot is about the same. Kessel is as good or better at literally everything else. And Kessel doesn't need Malkin or Crosby to make use of his shot. If Malkin slumps, so does Neal. If Malkin is playing hurt, Neal becomes a worse hockey player. That won't be the case with Kessel.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
100905.png

130027990.jpg

Versus

7vQTFtt.gif

Begin ....

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
Difference is Kessel can legitimately help carry the weight of the offense. His shot is about the same. Kessel is as good or better at literally everything else. And Kessel doesn't need Malkin or Crosby to make use of his shot. If Malkin slumps, so does Neal. If Malkin is playing hurt, Neal becomes a worse hockey player. That won't be the case with Kessel.

This is it... all people need to know good post!:handclap:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Kessel is slightly better than Neal, but not the grand canyon gap that people here are giving. I still rather have Neal @ 5mil /yr than Kessel.

Over the last 3yrs

You can thank Malkin for Neals points being as high as they were, Kessel played with Bozak...BOZAK!!! a grossly overpaid 3rd line center. Look what Neal did in Nashville? he still had a better center then Kessel did in Toronto. Not hating Neal, love the guys shot but let's be cereal for a moment here.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Same point in his career, Benn has 15 less goals and 50 more assists than Kessel did. Each had spent 2 years a piece with a quality center and the rest with a trash center (Benn's trash was worse than Kessel's). On a minute to minute basis over the span of Benn's entire career, there are a mere 2 more productive players than him (both are Penguins, but neither is Kessel). On top of that, Benn--the more productive player than Kessel--is also a far better two-way player who might be the most-versatile forward in the league, as well as the reigning Art Ross winner.

I don't know if there are even 5 wings that are better Phil Kessel, but I know that Benn is one and there's a pretty decent gap.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Same point in his career, Benn has 15 less goals and 50 more assists than Kessel did. Each had spent 2 years a piece with a quality center and the rest with a trash center (Benn's trash was worse than Kessel's). On a minute to minute basis over the span of Benn's entire career, there are a mere 2 more productive players than him (both are Penguins, but neither is Kessel). On top of that, Benn--the more productive player than Kessel--is also a far better two-way player who might be the most-versatile forward in the league, as well as the reigning Art Ross winner.

I don't know if there are even 5 wings that are better Phil Kessel, but I know that Benn is one and there's a pretty decent gap.
The gap isn't big at all when you don't take into account Benn's production the last two years playing early 90s style hockey under Ruff.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The gap isn't big at all when you don't take into account Benn's production the last two years playing early 90s style hockey under Ruff.

If you cut off Benn's last two years and compare them to Kessel's first four, he still comes out ahead. And again, this is using Benn-Ott and Kessel-Savard as if those were similar situations.

Benn's a very underestimated player on this website (not speaking specifically to you). He is not the junior partner on his line.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Nash? Seriously?

Ovy is better than Kessel for sure. Perry, Kane, Benn, Kessel. Those guys are on the same tier. You could argue one is better than the other, but they are pretty comparable.

Yes, Nash is getting underrated here. He's a big body, great defensive player, and has multiple 40 goal seasons including a rocket.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
is Phil Kessel an upgrade over James Neal or not really?
1) who has a better slapshot
2) who has a better wristshot?
3) who is faster
4) better overall player

Literally, the only thing James Neal has on Phil Kessel is handedness and height, and the latter Neal never used to his advantage consistently enough and that's why he's on his 3rd team and I am sure when his career is over, that # won't stay at 3.

Kessel is the better skater, purer goal scorer, better at shooting mid stride, quicker release, and better slap shot. Kessel has also been a much better producer.

The biggest thing is that Kessel, when he loses his crap, doesn't do the dumb **** on the ice that screws his team over - Neal trademark.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Oh yeah I think Benn is the better all around player. They are in the same tier though, IMO.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Over the last 3yrs

I love this stuff, the last 3yrs...in that, Neal has 2 very good ppg paces. Kessel doesn't.

Hmm...

How about you expand that to the last 7yrs.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yes, Nash is getting underrated here. He's a big body, great defensive player, and has multiple 40 goal seasons including a rocket.

And he consistently disappears in the playoffs. Kessel is better than Nash. You can disagree of course, but I don't think it's all that close.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh yeah I think Benn is the better all around player. They are in the same tier though, IMO.

Benn gets a lot of help by having a better top 6 now, I think Kessel now getting that same benefit will have him out produce a lot of players.

I like Benn, but I think he's a perfect fit for the conference he plays in.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And he consistently disappears in the playoffs. Kessel is better than Nash. You can disagree of course, but I don't think it's all that close.

Only reason anyone thinks Nash is better is because he's a 2x 40 goal scorer, big whoop. The last 5 seasons, Nash has been getting paid 1st line money while playing like a 2nd-3rd line winger. The guy is an immense talent that seems to have massive consistency issues, it's why in a small sample size, he puts up numbers that make you think "omg, he's so good" but when that's stretched to 70+...it drops. Nash benefit the most this year from Brassard's playmaking and even Stepan. Definitely a guy that would benefit from a top 6 center, but when you don't give Nash one, you're in a world of disappointment.

Kessel, the guy has managed to produce like a 1st line winger with the most terrible center options out of any winger of his caliber. I'd argue the Rangers MVP starts with Lundy last year and #2 being Brassard.

I mean Komarov? Bozak? Grabovski? Kadri?...it's pitiful.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Would people rather have Phil Kessel now, or Marian Hossa from 2008?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Would people rather have Phil Kessel now, or Marian Hossa from 2008?

2008 Hossa, but this is not an insult to Kessel. I think Hossa is a hall of famer.

Reading this thread, I think some people are going to be surprised by Kessel. Seems to be underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad