Phil Kessel vs James Neal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Ovi, Benn, Perry, Kane, Tarasenko, Hall, parise

I already talked about the others and I really like Parise, but he still isn't on Kessel's level.

The last four years Parise has scored:

38 (short)

Kessel:

52 (short)

It's not really even close. Kessel has been banged on for so long that people just don't get it. Most people just don't get how elite this guy is and I've been having this argument for years. It's just comical how people allow looks and half truths to form their opinions.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I already talked about the others and I really like Parise, but he still isn't on Kessel's level.

The last four years Parise has scored:

38 (short)

Kessel:

52 (short)

It's not really even close. Kessel has been banged on for so long that people just don't get it. Most people just don't get how elite this guy is and I've been having this argument for years. It's just comical how people allow looks and half truths to form their opinions.

Basically a good Nash/Hall/Parise season is a bad Kessel season.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
And also: if you're allowing other people's opinions to make you hate someone...

Maybe stop?
At the same time Kessel does have a bad rep for a reason... a rep that goes back to Chuck Grillo camps and followed him through the NHL. Plus he's played a very me first game up until the past 2 or 3 years. That's why I never liked him... the people overblowing his play because he's flashy do add to it though.

In the end I want the Pens to do that trade 10 x's out of 10. They gave up spare parts for a 30-40 goal scorer and finally added some speed to the wing. I think he's matured and some attitude is a good thing.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Kessel is 27 and Neal who many view as still a young winger who needs to mature is 28 in September. It is a view of Kessel is a mature seasoned vet and Neal is still developing. Kessel will add a level of polish and expectation that Neal will never bring.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
At the same time Kessel does have a bad rep for a reason... a rep that goes back to Chuck Grillo camps and followed him through the NHL. Plus he's played a very me first game up until the past 2 or 3 years. That's why I never liked him... the people overblowing his play because he's flashy do add to it though.

In the end I want the Pens to do that trade 10 x's out of 10. They gave up spare parts for a 30-40 goal scorer and finally added some speed to the wing. I think he's matured and some attitude is a good thing.

I can't speak to his game before he was a Leaf, but he's easily been their best playmaker since he put on a Leaf's jersey.

I've seen the guy play as much as anyone on here since he became a Leaf I'm willing to bet, and his numbers are as elite as you will find for a winger in this league, save AO.

People just dislike him because he looks like a homeless guy and he's awkward as hell, but that shouldn't take away from his accomplishments in this league, and he's done it without a whole lot of help.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I can't speak to his game before he was a Leaf, but he's easily been their best playmaker since he put on a Leaf's jersey.

I've seen the guy play as much as anyone on here since he became a Leaf I'm willing to bet, and his numbers are as elite as you will find for a winger in this league, save AO.

People just dislike him because he looks like a homeless guy and he's awkward as hell, but that shouldn't take away from his accomplishments in this league, and he's done it without a whole lot of help.
Kaner has to be up there too.

Points only do so much. Its exactly what the Pens need but in terms of better wingers around the league I would still take AO Perry, Benn and Parise over him. Tarasenko needs to prove himself a little more but I think he can be better than all of them.

I don't think Kessel was ever a bad passer. He just took time to learn the bait and lure game. Kind of like Kovalchuk when he went to the Devils.

Malkin112*

Basically a good Nash/Hall/Parise season is a bad Kessel season.

I never said anything about Nash. Hall is as good or better than Kessel offensively. Parise isn't as good offensively but overall is better.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I never said anything about Nash. Hall is as good or better than Kessel offensively. Parise isn't as good offensively but overall is better.

I was just speaking in general. But you're wrong.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Kane and Perry are comparable and you could argue either way depending on what skill set you value more. That's it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Kane and Perry are comparable and you could argue either way depending on what skill set you value more. That's it.

I have used the statement that Kessel is the second best offensive wing in the game after Ovechkin to keep it less controversial. You could make the case for some others being as good offensively but not better. If you throw defense into the equation (even though Kessel is not as bad as his rep) then you add entire layers of subjectiveness in as you weigh offense and defense, and which you feel has more import, which makes the entire exercise almost futile.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You guys ever stop and think that some of you may get caught up in the minutia?

Top-5, top-10, whatever, Phil Kessel is an elite winger and either the best or second best winger to put on the sweater in the Cralkin Era.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You guys ever stop and think that some of you may get caught up in the minutia?

Top-5, top-10, whatever, Phil Kessel is an elite winger and either the best or second best winger to put on the sweater in the Cralkin Era.

This is HF. People would not be here if they did not enjoy getting caught up in the minutia. It is harmless stuff and dates back to the first sports. I am sure when our ancestors had the first Mammoth calf toss game, people argued on the first day which player had the best Mammoth toss shot.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kaner has to be up there too.

Points only do so much. Its exactly what the Pens need but in terms of better wingers around the league I would still take AO Perry, Benn and Parise over him. Tarasenko needs to prove himself a little more but I think he can be better than all of them.

I don't think Kessel was ever a bad passer. He just took time to learn the bait and lure game. Kind of like Kovalchuk when he went to the Devils.

Kane benefits greatly from the talent around him though. Not saying he isn't a great player, but Toews line almost always draws the toughest matchups when I've watched the Hawks. Perry again has played most of his career with Getzlaf and a good part of it with Ryan as well.

AO is really the only guy I would take over Kessel right now, but I do think Tarasenko will be the better player in 2-3 years.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I haven't read through this whole thread, but Kessel is on a different level from Neal. Kessel was able to turn a fringe second liner like Bozak and a good winger in JVR into a legit first line. Kessel can and will create his own offense. The Toronto media hates him because he doesn't feed them quotes.

I liked prime Hossa better because he was an animal on the back check and in his own zone, but Kessel is going to surprise a lot of people with just how good he is.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
whowouldwin.png

Kessels head is bigger

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Kessel is slightly better than Neal, but not the grand canyon gap that people here are giving. I still rather have Neal @ 5mil /yr than Kessel.

Over the last 3yrs
Kessel scored 2.1pts/60min, Neal 2.0

2 best wings are Tarasenko and Perry IMO

Calacatz

Jacked!
Aug 10, 2005
Kessel is slightly better than Neal, but not the grand canyon gap that people here are giving. I still rather have Neal @ 5mil /yr than Kessel.

Over the last 3yrs
Kessel scored 2.1pts/60min, Neal 2.0

2 best wings are Tarasenko and Perry IMO

Kessel was also with the Leafs... Let's be real here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad