Confirmed with Link: Phil Kessel traded - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
what's that saying? you can lead a horse to water, but.....

but. in the spirit of fairness.
we don't know what he is like. maybe we are wrong, and we all got caught up in the whole "Phil isn't conditioned/doesn't take fitness seriously" train, and he does take it seriously, and he is committed to working out with Roberts, and be a great player in his 30s.

I know that I have no idea what his attitude towards conditioning and fitness is. I also don't really care. He was paid MILLIONS of dollars to play hockey for the Leafs and he did a pathetic job of it.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Uh huh...

Don't know if you're quite getting what I'm saying. I'm saying that being confrontational for no good reason doesn't aid your discussion.

I'm not starting a fight here, I'm trying to chill some folks. Be nice in general, without resorting to "you're wrong"s and we'll all be happy campers.

Back to the point:

I honestly don't think that Kessel will probably play on a line with Syd all the time. I think this is a Kane - Toews scenario where we see them together in Powerplay and down-by-goals situations.

I don't consider defending myself as initiating confrontation. The poster who I suggested to "get over it" has personally attacked me on numerous instances. I was just trying to help him out.

I suspect that Kessel will play very little with Crosby. This is just my opinion but I suspect Crosby will not really want to play with a non 2 way player.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You like players who are soft lazy floaters, I like players who try.

Difference of opinion, no biggie. Bless you.

Seems like you missed the part where I said that I don't like the way Kessel plays the game and proceeded directly to sidestepping the challenge to back up your statements.

You base your opinions on stylistic preferences, I base mine on rational understanding of the sport.

I'm a fan of the Kessel trade. I hate the way he plays hockey, (username might give away my personal tendencies), but to overlook his ability to help a team win games when used properly and write him off as terrible (by overlooking his ability to generate 60-80 goals a year by saying "except for this") is just short-sighted.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I know that I have no idea what his attitude towards conditioning and fitness is. I also don't really care. He was paid MILLIONS of dollars to play hockey for the Leafs and he did a pathetic job of it.

What a pathetic top-10 scorer he was.

Good riddance to that point-per-game loser.

Am I doing this right?

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
What a pathetic top-10 scorer he was.

Good riddance to that point-per-game loser.

Am I doing this right?

Not really. You called him a loser. I'm not sure why you feel the need to personally attack him. I keep my comments to hockey. Review my posts, it would probably be good for you and you will find that I have never made it personal, it's always about hockey. Just a suggestion but you might want to try to do the same if you can.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
Uh I guess, but is Pittsburgh going to miss the playoffs 2 straight years? It would take some major setbacks and internal screw ups for them to be bad enough to miss.

they barely squeaked in last year, i don't see it as a slam dunk ... people tend to overrate pens based on reputation

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Seems like you missed the part where I said that I don't like the way Kessel plays the game and proceeded directly to sidestepping the challenge to back up your statements.

You base your opinions on stylistic preferences, I base mine on rational understanding of the sport.

I'm a fan of the Kessel trade. I hate the way he plays hockey, (username might give away my personal tendencies), but to overlook his ability to help a team win games when used properly and write him off as terrible (by overlooking his ability to generate 60-80 goals a year by saying "except for this") is just short-sighted.

I understand the sport which is why it's easy to say he does more harm then good cuz it's the truth.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
I don't consider defending myself as initiating confrontation. The poster who I suggested to "get over it" has personally attacked me on numerous instances. I was just trying to help him out.

I suspect that Kessel will play very little with Crosby. This is just my opinion but I suspect Crosby will not really want to play with a non 2 way player.

Well, Crosby's defence is fine, but in general we have seen him playing with defensively-decent wingers like Kunitz, Dupuis, etc.

Maybe they'll have an "all offence" setup with Sid, Geno and Phil.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
I understand the sport which is why it's easy to say he does more harm then good cuz it's the truth.

Dude you're killing me. You really don't see how posts like this come across as arrogant, dismissive, and just downright stupid?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

:laugh:

Makes statement.
Challenged to back statement up.
Evades with insult.
Confronted about clearly biased statement
Restates statement- justification "because its the truth"

Statement in question
"Kessel does more harm than good"
Tangible assertion
He is directly responsible for more three times more goals against than he scores.

scores between 25 and 35 (not including those pesky inconsequential assists).

Simple. Prove to me that Phil Kessel was directly responsible for 75 goals against last year. Actually, just try and break even, 25 goals against.

Chubby cheeks, accusations of softness, lazyness, or general not being a good ole western boy -edness do not count as proof, show me conclusively how this terrible human being does more harm on ice than the close to 1/3 of this teams offense he generates

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Dude you're killing me. You really don't see how posts like this come across as arrogant, dismissive, and just downright stupid?

That is exactly what your post is. I will not call it downright stupid like you did mine cuz unlike you I do not resort to personal attacks. I stick to hockey. I will continue to hope for you to not be so angry. It would be a horrible way to go through life.

You are being very condescending to someone else just cuz we have different opinions.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
:laugh:

Makes statement.
Challenged to back statement up.
Evades with insult.
Confronted about clearly biased statement
Restates statement- justification "because its the truth"

Statement in question
"Kessel does more harm than good"
Tangible assertion
He is directly responsible for more three times more goals against than he scores.

scores between 25 and 35 (not including those pesky inconsequential assists).

Simple. Prove to me that Phil Kessel was directly responsible for 75 goals against last year. Actually, just try and break even, 25 goals against.

Chubby cheeks, accusations of softness, lazyness, or general not being a good ole western boy -edness do not count as proof, show me conclusively how this terrible human being does more harm on ice than the close to 1/3 of this teams offense he generates

I don't have to prove anything to you. We have all watched him play and we all know exactly what he is all about.

I expect you to prove to me that he doesn't do more harm then good. Good luck with that.

I also find it despicable that you have resorted to personal attack and have called Phil a terrible human being. Disgusting.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If there's one thing I've learned around here it's that if someone is unwilling to carry a real discussion, back up their statements and doesn't show any interest in listening to any other arguments, then all you can do is call them out for it (for other people's benefit) and then just ignore it.

Nothing you say or do will change anything. Your words are air and your posts will only serve as something to quote while they continue their agenda.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I don't have to prove anything to you. We have all watched him play and we all know exactly what he is all about.

I expect you to prove to me that he doesn't do more harm then good. Good luck with that.

Phil Kessel (all situations, 2011-15)

GF60: 3.68
GA60: 2.97

That's a difference of 0.71 goals for every 60 minutes.

Over to you.

I also find it despicable that you have resorted to personal attack and have called Phil a terrible human being. Disgusting.

He was mocking you/being facetious. You don't get to take the high road here.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Phil Kessel (all situations, 2011-15)

GF60: 3.68
GA60: 2.97

That's a difference of 0.71 goals for every 60 minutes.

Over to you.

He was mocking you/being facetious. You don't get to take the high road here.

Show me a post where I have ever called Kessel a terrible person or ever attacked him personally and I will send you $1000.00

Good luck.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Show me a post where I have ever called Kessel a terrible person or ever attacked him personally and I will send you $1000.00

Good luck.

Are you going to ignore how you got blatantly proven wrong by going this route?

The quality of this thread has utterly deteriorated through irrational hatred of Kessel.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Are we just going to ignore the facts presented in the upper 80% of the post?

Your response is telling.

First things first. You substantiate your accusations, which btw are out and out lies and we will proceed from there. Or you can apologize to me and admit you lied.

Let's see if you're a big enough person to admit the truth.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
First things first. You substantiate your accusations, which btw are out and out lies and we will proceed from there. Or you can apologize to me and admit you lied.

Let's see if you're a big enough person to admit the truth.

Seems like you're just completely dancing around the fact that you got proven entirely wrong.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Are you going to ignore how you got blatantly proven wrong by going this route?

The quality of this thread has utterly deteriorated through irrational hatred of Kessel.

I think the irrational love of Kessel is the culprit.

I haven't been proven wrong about anything and I have yet to see the poster prove to me that Kessel doesn't do more harm then good. Just a lot of blather.

Anyway I'm off to the football game in a little bit so that'll give him time to review my posts before he admits he lied.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I think the irrational love of Kessel is the culprit.

I haven't been proven wrong about anything
and I have yet to see the poster prove to me that Kessel doesn't do more harm then good. Just a lot of blather.

Anyway I'm off to the football game in a little bit so that'll give him time to review my posts before he admits he lied.

Yes you have.

You said that he causes more goals against than goals for and Duke posted the stats that say completely otherwise.

Do you hold your own opinion in such high regard that you get to ignore what the stats say and just point to your own opinion for evidence?

That's your opinion.

Cold hard fact right now as a matter of fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad