Confirmed with Link: Phil Kessel traded - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Genuinely interested in your take considering this is probably what happened when they tried to deal. Do you think they should have just kept him for a while? Maybe trade deadline there's more options?

I'm hugely let down by the trade. Maybe I'm being irrational. I just think we should have kept Kessel over giving him away for this return.

The cycle has to end sometime. Last TDL it was maybe there are more buyers at the draft? Nope. Maybe on July 1? Nope...

I think the real cause behind not having a homerun deal was that there just wasn't anybody interested that he could be traded to. That being said, the deal isn't terrible either. Not great but not terrible

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
They are just being emotional. They dislike the deal and want to vent their frustration and anger at someone, so they do it at management (correct or no) while using understating the return as a way to fuel the fire.

Pretty much.

Shortly said, people are behaving like children. Disappointment is one thing, the excessive hyperbole and whining is really unnecessary.

Did you expect any different Nith? :laugh:

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
assuming that that really was the least amount of salary retained that they were offered and given Kessel's NMC, I guess this was really the best that could be done.
I thought that kessel might be worth a bit more but that was with a greater amount of salary retained. I suppose moving forward this was really the best and only option.
cool.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
No. It's not. He was not brought in to be part of the leadership team. He has personality works that were known and to expect that is ridiculous. Look at the appointed leaders and ridicule away. He was hired to snipe. That's exactly what he did

It's not that simple though.

In any kind of business or work place, the top earners are often very influential in setting standards, creating the culture. Whether or not he wants to, letter or no letter, Phil was influential and a leader.

With that said, I don't like the character assassination going on. It feels cheap.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Genuinely interested in your take considering this is probably what happened when they tried to deal. Do you think they should have just kept him for a while? Maybe trade deadline there's more options?

I'm hugely let down by the trade. Maybe I'm being irrational. I just think we should have kept Kessel over giving him away for this return.

I'll PM you - one moment.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
27 is middle aged? WTF did time warp back to the 1800's?

Are you not good with numbers? He's about to turn 28. Most elite players enter the league at 19 or so, and play until around 36-38. That puts him right in the middle.

And prime years for a scoring forward are generally from early 20s until around 30. He's got fewer good years left than he's had.

Rufio65*

Phaneuf on TSN.

He was fishing when he heard of the trade...

Go figure, Phil probably was too.

Were you expecting Phaneuf to be working out on Canada Day? They are pro athletes not slaves. There's been little questioning about Phaneuf's work ethic in his career.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Rob Russo, who covers the Pens for the Pittsburgh Tribute, says that Kapanen projects to be a third line perimeter winger + can't believe Pouliot wasn't involved in the deal.

Same guy said Letang would love to play for the leafs during his contract talks and Letang said he had no idea what the heck that was all about.

Russo also predicted Neal to score 15 goals with Malkin. Not the brightest guy.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
good prospects with kapinen and harrington

i remember harrington back in juniors i believe they played him over rielly and i was pissed about that

pretty sure that was him

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Rob Russo, who covers the Pens for the Pittsburgh Tribute, says that Kapanen projects to be a third line perimeter winger + can't believe Pouliot wasn't involved in the deal.

One of the worst reporters in the media. He's seen the player play how much?

Would any of you care what Howard Berger or Mike Zeisberger would say about our European prospects?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Were you expecting Phaneuf to be working out on Canada Day? They are pro athletes not slaves. There's been little questioning about Phaneuf's work ethic in his career.

My opinion on Phaneuf has softened over the months.

I'm convinced he can get his play in order with Babcock.

There's mutual respect and admiration between the two and I think that's going to create a more positive locker room culture.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
good prospects with kapinen and harrington

i remember harrington back in juniors i believe they played him over rielly and i was pissed about that

pretty sure that was him

I think we were mostly pissed about Murphy. Rielly was better than him every shift, yet Murphy got the ice time.

Harrington was good though. I liked him in that tournament.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Same guy said Letang would love to play for the leafs during his contract talks and Letang said he had no idea what the heck that was all about.

Russo also predicted Neal to score 15 goals with Malkin. Not the brightest guy.

He also covered Kapanen after the draft and said nothing about him projecting only to be a 3rd line winger.

Pens pick Finnish winger Kapanen in 1st round of NHL Entry Draft

By Rob Rossi

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6332473-74/kapanen-draft-nhl#ixzz3eg0mGvLM
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6332473-74/kapanen-draft-nhl#axzz3efzfO6Iw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad