Confirmed with Link: Phil Kessel traded - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/phil-kessel-traded-to-penguins-by-leafs-reports-1.3134692

The Phil Kessel era is over in Toronto.

The Toronto Maple Leafs moved their leading scorer to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for prospects Kasperi Kapanen and Scott Harrington, a 2016 first-round pick, a 2016 third-round pick and a salary dump in forward Nick Spaling one hour into the NHL’s free agency period on Canada Day.

The Leafs also gave up a 2016 second-round pick, Tyler Biggs and Tim Erixon.

Toronto also retained $1.25-million in salary – or 15 per cent of the cap hit – in the seven remaining years of Kessel’s contract in order to get the trade completed.

Pittsburgh's first-round pick in the deal is conditional on the Penguins making the playoffs and would become a 2017 first- or second-rounder if they don't.

Last edited:

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Even the longest journey starts with one step, this was one of those steps.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Let's just all pretend that the pens miss the playoffs next year and that 1st becomes Matthews...

ya that makes it better :D :D :D

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Awful trade. The retention and 2nd going back are just the Pens kicking us when were already down.

dougieg93

Pray for Parayko
Jun 17, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Don't underestimate the power of capspace. I think this trade needed to be done, so I'm relieved we got a good prospect and a first. We will get more draft picks at the deadline where we will look very dangerous draft day in 2016.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
This is a horrible trade. We give up:
1) Kessel
2) 1.25 M/yr cap space for SEVEN YEARS
3) 2nd Round Pick

And the best piece we get is Kapanen? Not even ****ing Pouliot? WTF were Shanny and co. thinking?

If I suggested this deal to you lot this morning you would have flamed me to death.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
What a terrible goddamn return. Fans and media **** all over a guy who can hit 38 goals with Tyler Bozak, and the Leafs jettison him for pennies on the dollar while retaining salary.

We're getting a boom/bust winger who might be a poor man's Kessel, the equivalent of Luke Schenn, a late 1st and a late 3rd for an established All-Star and two prospects, one of whom is NHL ready.

Seriously? Couldn't just keep him another year?

People understand Milan ****ing Lucic got a better return right?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
People got to realize that not all these small guys will be playing for us. Some of them will be getting traded when we are a team that'll be competing for a playoff spot.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I want everyone who clicks this thread to know right off the bat there was NO MARKET for Phil Kessel(unless we ate half his contract).

The ONLY reason we got ANYTHING for him is due to the weak free agent class and Pitt wanting to go ALL IN while Crosby and Malkin are in their prime.

PERIOD. The fact we got a top prospect and a 1st round pick++ for him is AMAZING.

THANK YOU DUBAS AND HUNTER!!!!!

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Let's just all pretend that the pens miss the playoffs next year and that 1st becomes Matthews...

ya that makes it better :D :D :D

Them missing the post season and the pick becoming 1-2-3 of the lottery picks is pretty much the only thing that makes this a win for the Leafs.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
This is the pain Babcock was talking about. You guys will get over it soon.

No pain for me. Kessel had to go, one way or another.

You can't preach a rebuild and say that the Leafs will respect fans, talk to the media after wins or losses, eat right, train right and be Maple Leafs and have Kessel on the team.

When Babcok said that, it was everything that Kessel was not.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
this is why i am never listen to you guys. star players never get their perceived value in trade. You guys got your wish. a trade for a sake of a trade.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
This is a horrible trade. We give up:
1) Kessel
2) 1.25 M/yr cap space for SEVEN YEARS
3) 2nd Round Pick

And the best piece we get is Kapanen? Not even ****ing Pouliot? WTF were Shanny and co. thinking?

If I suggested this deal to you lot this morning you would have flamed me to death.

What are our management thinking? Something like this:

1st (TOR)
1st (PIT)
2nd (TOR)
3rd (TOR)
3rd (PIT)
4th (TOR)
5th (ANA)
5th (TOR)
6th (STL)
6th (TOR)
7th (TOR)

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
The deal should've been something like:

To PIT:
Kessel + Biggs + Erixon

for

To TOR:
Kapanen + Spaling + Harrington + PIT 1st in 2016 + PIT 3rd in 2016

The Leafs shouldn't have given up the 2nd and shouldn't be retaining salary, and it would've been a fair deal for both teams. The Leafs just didn't get enough for their most valuable trade asset.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Absolute trash. Can't believe we retained AND gave them a 2nd and couldn't even get one of their blue chippers. All the goodwill I had towards this management group has evaporated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad