Phil Kessel - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Oh yes, the demigod that is that 30 goal scorer, how dare we be upset with his lack of anything other than goals...

that's what i'm saying. basically the argument for keeping kessel devolves into the fact that he is a game breaker and he scores 30 goals a season and we are not allowed to quibble, be upset, or anything else because he comes "exactly as advertised."

now to me, I would sell what is exactly as advertised, and try to get players who are skilled, worked hard, and grow up with the new core we're building, but no. apparently we have to keep Kessel because, he scores goals, and if we trade him we'll be looking for people like him

Everything regarding Kessel is everyone else's fault. even when you point out the things that people are angry about - is not simply because of whom he plays with but things that Kessel himself can do/change, impact - that's neither here or there, because, goals.

so. whatever. let's just stick him in the corner and ignore him.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Apparently Florida might have interest. Kessel's term (the fact that he's signed long term), his production is market value for a PPG player at 8 million and he would boost their offence tremendously and playing with a defensive centre like Barkov would work wonders. Plus, Barkov can feed off Kessel and boost his own offence.

A lot of Panthers fans obviously saying Barkov, Ekblad and Bjustad are off the table. So that leaves with a potential deal like Huberdeau+Gudbrandson and a 1st round pick.

Are Bjugstad and/or Barkov enough in FLA to bring Kessel to his full potential ?? Does he need a playmaking winger on the other side or defensive type winger ?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Are Bjugstad and/or Barkov enough in FLA to bring Kessel to his full potential ?? Does he need a playmaking winger on the other side or defensive type winger ?

It is more a question of style of play then who plays that style. If Kessel is allowed to rush with a partner, center or another winger does not matter, he will get you goals. He is not as effective on the rush alone but he is deadly if some one joins him on the rush.

So a winger or a center capable of keeping up with his skating and who does not mind driving the net, the 3rd option on that line, winger or center, should be some one who is very good defensively.

Most importantly is that you need defenders who can play the puck forward with out creating a turnover and not using the boards, since no one will cover them.

beer123

Nov 15, 2009
Apparently Florida might have interest. Kessel's term (the fact that he's signed long term), his production is market value for a PPG player at 8 million and he would boost their offence tremendously and playing with a defensive centre like Barkov would work wonders. Plus, Barkov can feed off Kessel and boost his own offence.

A lot of Panthers fans obviously saying Barkov, Ekblad and Bjustad are off the table. So that leaves with a potential deal like Huberdeau+Gudbrandson and a 1st round pick.

A package of Huberdeau+Gudbrandson and a 1st round pick ---> I'd happily take that. I'm not sure if FLA would be willing to let go of all three. IMO Huberdeau+Gudbrandson is fair value.

Or would the Leafs prefer the equivalent of what they packaged for Boston? (2015 first, 2016 first, 2nd)

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
A package of Huberdeau+Gudbrandson and a 1st round pick ---> I'd happily take that. I'm not sure if FLA would be willing to let go of all three. IMO Huberdeau+Gudbrandson is fair value.

Or would the Leafs prefer the equivalent of what they packaged for Boston? (2015 first, 2016 first, 2nd)

I think we would have to add Polak to that deal. No way they deal away a right handed top 4 defeneman when they are still close of making the playoffs.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I think youu get one or the other with hubs and gud

Hubs, howden, 1st 15, 2nd 16 is what I'd guess

That might include someone like holzer or a bit. Better

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I think youu get one or the other with hubs and gud

Hubs, howden, 1st 15, 2nd 16 is what I'd guess

That might include someone like holzer or a bit. Better

I'm starting to like Holzer. How about sending someone older or more $$$.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It is more a question of style of play then who plays that style. If Kessel is allowed to rush with a partner, center or another winger does not matter, he will get you goals. He is not as effective on the rush alone but he is deadly if some one joins him on the rush.

So a winger or a center capable of keeping up with his skating and who does not mind driving the net, the 3rd option on that line, winger or center, should be some one who is very good defensively.

Most importantly is that you need defenders who can play the puck forward with out creating a turnover and not using the boards, since no one will cover them.

Minnesota might be a good fit for Kessel with Parise/Vanek etc. they have a 1st round pick we could use, a player like Coyle and a RHD (Dumba) who can grow his offense to replace the loss of Franson. These players (and picks) fit the age category of Rielly.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Minnesota might be a good fit for Kessel with Parise/Vanek etc. they have a 1st round pick we could use, a player like Coyle and a RHD (Dumba) who can grow his offense to replace the loss of Franson. These players (and picks) fit the age category of Rielly.

I don't think the wild will move there high draft picks this year.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Yeah I thought about that to, but as you said, they already have Vanek so not so sure they would another huge commitment to another goal scoring winger. But them being so close to a WC spot perhaps they need to do something. They can not really throw away a season with no playoffs with Parise and Suter on the team. One interesting aspect of it could be that Suters dad coached Kessel as a youngster and I guess Suter knows how to cuddle Kessel the right amount to get the best out of him. And one of the reasons they gave Parise and Suter those contracts was to get that "local" feeling of their roster, same reason with Vanek really who got ties to the area. And Kessel fits in with that line of thinking being from Madison and having played for Minnesota's university.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I don't think the wild will move there high draft picks this year.

They are 2 points behind Calgary who holds the last WC spot, with a game in hand. I dont expect Calgary to keep it up but I do expect Minnesota to start winning more soon. Even more so if they add Kessel since goal scoring is their main concern. Their 1st will not be that high when the season ends.

Edit: The West is turning out to be a real battle this season with San Jose, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Minnesota, LA, Calgary and perhaps even Dallas all having a shot at making it they end the season strong while some of the others slip. Good for us since it means less sellers and possibly more buyers with the chance of us getting a non-play off teams 1st in the end.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I think its important the fans factor into the factor that the entry draft rules have changed this year. Any of the 14 non playoff teams can win the lottery and pick #1 overall.

That means that any team near the playoffs with a chance of missing would be very hesitant to deal a 1st round pick knowing it could result in McDavid/Eichel. So this type of trade would have to happen in the offseason and after the draft lottery process so Florida would know exactly what they were dealing away.

Can you imagine if the Leafs could pull off a deal like this and that resulted in the 1st being McDavid?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think its important the fans factor into the factor that the entry draft rules have changed this year. Any of the 14 non playoff teams can win the lottery and pick #1 overall.

That means that any team near the playoffs with a chance of missing would be very hesitant to deal a 1st round pick knowing it could result in McDavid/Eichel. So this type of trade would have to happen in the offseason and after the draft lottery process so Florida would know exactly what they were dealing away.

Can you imagine if the Leafs could pull off a deal like this and that resulted in the 1st being McDavid?

We can always allow the other team to protect it from being the lottery winner and if so we take next years 1st instead. I think that is the only way a bubble team trade this years first. Could still end up being a very good pick if that bubble team misses the playoffs and dont win the lottery.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We can always allow the other team to protect it from being the lottery winner and if so we take next years 1st instead. I think that is the only way a bubble team trade this years first. Could still end up being a very good pick if that bubble team misses the playoffs and dont win the lottery.

That would certain be the solution to that problem of dealing Kessel by this years trade deadline which involves a 1st round pick in 2015.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I think that top 14 thing starts next year. Could be wrong but remember making that same assumption earlier

Florida is an interesting team. Young core but with lu need to win sooner then later. Do they accelerate by moving hubs for kessel or do they wait it out and build properly.

Especially with that market I think adding someone like kessel would be a good move. Marketable as a aa top Nhl scorer and American to boot

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think that top 14 thing starts next year. Could be wrong but remember making that same assumption earlier

Florida is an interesting team. Young core but with lu need to win sooner then later. Do they accelerate by moving hubs for kessel or do they wait it out and build properly.

Especially with that market I think adding someone like kessel would be a good move. Marketable as a aa top Nhl scorer and American to boot

Kessel loves fishing and golfing and so would love living in Florida year round. So I would assume they're on his list of NTC teams that he would accept a trade to.

Could get in 18 holes and even some night fishing on non game days during the season while his teammates are in the gym working out, or on the ice during optional skates. :sarcasm:

PS. The draft lottery for all 14 teams to pick #1 begins this year. The 14th place team has a 1% chance odd at winning.

Last edited:

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
If Florida offered gudbranson huberdeau and a first I'd take it. I like huberdeaus game a lot more than I like Kessels. And the first will be mid range. We could grab a very good player with it.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Florida wouldn't offer Huberdeau + Gudbranson + 1st. That's an outlandish/unrealistic deal IMO.

We could likely get ONE of Huberdeau/Gudbranson, + a solid prospect like Petrovic/Trochek/Matheson, + pick(s).

Zero shot IMO at getting both Hurberdeau/Gudbranson, and zero shot at getting any of Ekblad/Barkov/Bjugstad.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

No, all 14 non-playoff teams being eligible to win the 1st overall starts this year.

What starts next year is that the first three draft spots will be chosen by lottery not just the top spot.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm going for the best young NHLer I could with a guy like Kessel.

For Barkov to not be in a deal for Kessel is almost a non-starter. If they want to do Huberdeau, Gubranson and a 1st, sure.

You realize that scoring is down significantly this year and Kessel produces. He would absolutely kill it with Bjugstad.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
i'm going for the best young nhler i could with a guy like kessel.

For barkov to not be in a deal for kessel is almost a non-starter. If they want to do huberdeau, gubranson and a 1st, sure.

You realize that scoring is down significantly this year and kessel produces. He would absolutely kill it with bjugstad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad