Phil Housley

whcanuck

May 11, 2017
I've read in multiple posts that Phil Housley isn't exactly thought of as worthy of the Hall of Fame. That may be true, but in the 80s and early 90s this guy was a very gifted offensive defenseman. Great passer and a great powerplay quarterback. 6 straight seasons of 20+ goals and 50 straight seasons with 70+ points, including those two monsters years in Winnipeg where he had 86 and 97 points back to back. I get the knock on him is that he wasn't very good defensively, but could he almost be called Paul Coffey-lite?

Reactions: Vanzig

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Even if you don't adjust for the "funny money" years that he played in and you don't account for the time he spent playing wing because he was so bad at defense (yes, even worse than Coffey somehow), he's still not worth the offensive production (which was not beyond reproach, mind you) that came with being a complete liability defensively...

Defense scoring from 1980 to 1993.
1. Coffey 1201 pts
2. Bourque 1097
3. Murphy 835
4. Housley 817
5. D.Wilson 767
6. MacInnis 740
7. M.Howe 647
8. L.Robinson 614
9. D.Babych 609
10. S.Stevens 594

Yeah, he's on that list, but there's also some outstanding defensive players on there too...and they prevented a lot more than 100 points worth of offense against.

He produces 1200 points and he's a -53. He was only a plus in one playoff year ever (a single 7 game series vs. the expansion Sharks...which he lost any way)...

If you made a similar list for this era, Mike Green would fall roughly where Housley falls on this one I bet...and they're both heinous defensively...emphasis on anus...

decma

Feb 6, 2013
I agree with your conclusion that he does not belong in the HoF, but your table of D-man scoring is a little unfair given that it includes seasons when Housley wasn't in the NHL.

From 1982/83 to any endpoint from 86/87 all the way to 00/01, Housley was 3rd in D scoring, behind only Coffey and Bourque. Even ff you include the last season or two of his career, he is still 4th (slipping behind MacInnis).

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He's one of the more controversial Hall of Fame inductees for sure. Personally I think he's a worthy inductee. One of the more pure offensive defensemen ever IMO.

Reactions: wetcoast

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I agree with your conclusion that he does not belong in the HoF, but your table of D-man scoring is a little unfair given that it includes seasons when Housley wasn't in the NHL.

From 1982/83 to any endpoint from 86/87 all the way to 00/01, Housley was 3rd in D scoring, behind only Coffey and Bourque. Even ff you include the last season or two of his career, he is still 4th (slipping behind MacInnis).

I mean, it's slightly more fair than putting around Housley's career entirely...1980 to 1993 is an era in some ways in my eyes...I was just take the post-merger, hyper-expansion, silly scoring era and putting it down as a boundary...the point wasn't to show off Housley, it's just to show, "hey, in this era, he wasn't even special offensively...and he was the worst of the bunch defensively..."

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
...hyper-expansion...
"hyper-expansion"...?

Are there are Calgary fans out there who regularly watched Housley with the Flames, esp. 1998-99 and 1999-00? I ask because it seems like he had a couple of solid late-career seasons there (esp. the first one), and it was a team coached by Brian Sutter.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yes. NHL grew from 6 teams to 21 teams in about a decade. Then grew from 21 to 26 from 1991 to 1993. Added at least three roster spots in that time as well. 20 teams and at least 3 roster spots in 25 years after not doing diddly-poo in the 25 preceding it. And adding just 4, now 5 teams (and no roster spots) in the 25 years after that. Yeah, "hyper expansion" is gotta be about right...

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Goodness. Another Housley thread? I feel he’s been up for discussion quite frequently recently. Why is he so interesting I wonder.

If you want to watch Housley "in action" I think the 1992 Smythe Division semi-final between WPG and VAN is on YT, the highlights at least. WPG were up 3 games to 1 and had only let in 8 goals over 4 games in a relatively low scoring series (especially for the early 90s) up to that point.

Then game 5 (in Pacific Coliseum) happens. Bure opens the scoring late in the 1st period, and then Jim Sandlak (of all people) scores with 4 seconds left of the period to make it 2-0. And it’s all downhill from there, for the Jets and Mr. HHOF.

If you ever want to see an open ocean and a player PUZZLED in the defensive zone, this is a must watch.

From having let in only 8 goals over the first 4 games of the series, the Jets gave up 8 goals in each of game 5 and 6 (losing 2-8 and 3-8). In game 6, at home ice, with a chance to seal the deal, so to speak, Housley is –5 in a performance perhaps best described [by empty space]

Then game 7, another belly splash in the Coliseum, 0-5 and good-bye. To Housley’s defence though he was plus/minus 0 in both game 5 and 7.

But, game 6, Phil. At home ice.

If you’re giving enough room for slowmotion Sandlak to score 5 points in the closing 3 games of your playoff series, you’re probably not HHOF worthy at least on that side of the puck.

Fredrik Olausson (also had a thread here recently) was –4 in game 7, so him and Housley took turns looking out of place when push came to shove.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yes. NHL grew from 6 teams to 21 teams in about a decade. Then grew from 21 to 26 from 1991 to 1993. Added at least three roster spots in that time as well. 20 teams and at least 3 roster spots in 25 years after not doing diddly-poo in the 25 preceding it. And adding just 4, now 5 teams (and no roster spots) in the 25 years after that. Yeah, "hyper expansion" is gotta be about right...
Well, I thought you were referring to the 1980-1993 period. As you know, from 1980 to 1991, there was no expansion.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
What would the consensus be had Housley been moved to forward early in his career by Scotty Bowman? I think Housley could have been an excellent playmaker that excelled in the transition game, while still being a premier PP quarterback. Housley could have easily garnered more than a few 100 plus point years in the 80's to early 90's as a forward. Just keep off the ice on PK and late in games when his team was leading. Likely would not have made the HHOF as a forward, but I never thought Housley had a chance to get in as a defenseman.

Reactions: Kevs Security

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I've read in multiple posts that Phil Housley isn't exactly thought of as worthy of the Hall of Fame. That may be true, but in the 80s and early 90s this guy was a very gifted offensive defenseman. Great passer and a great powerplay quarterback. 6 straight seasons of 20+ goals and 50 straight seasons with 70+ points, including those two monsters years in Winnipeg where he had 86 and 97 points back to back. I get the knock on him is that he wasn't very good defensively, but could he almost be called Paul Coffey-lite?

Coffey carried the puck to generate offense, Housley used perfect breakout passes.

Make no mistake I despise Housley, he was soft and lazy defensively and is one of the only players who actually made me angry to watch unless he was setting up Selanne. I don't think he belongs in the HHOF.

Frankly I think he would of been better as a center then a Defenseman and it boggles my mind that no coach ever tried to move him there.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
If you want to watch Housley "in action" I think the 1992 Smythe Division semi-final between WPG and VAN is on YT, the highlights at least. WPG were up 3 games to 1 and had only let in 8 goals over 4 games in a relatively low scoring series (especially for the early 90s) up to that point.

In the last Housley thread a posted a video that's etched in my brain since I saw it live.

One of the russians who was paired with Phil went to get the puck in the jets corner, Housley is in front of the jets net and immediately takes off up the ice(without the puck) as if his flight or fight response just kicked in and leaves a canuck completely open, boom 5 or 6-0 after a turnover.

Que 15 year old me cussing at the TV

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Probably the weirdest thing about Housley is that he was drafted & developed by Scotty Bowman, of all people. His lack of defensive capabilities confounds when you consider it was Bowman who brought him into the NHL.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
In the last Housley thread a posted a video that's etched in my brain since I saw it live.

One of the russians who was paired with Phil went to get the puck in the jets corner, Housley is in front of the jets net and immediately takes off up the ice(without the puck) as if his flight or fight response just kicked in and leaves a canuck completely open, boom 5 or 6-0 after a turnover.

Que 15 year old me cussing at the TV

i once recapped that game, which i call the phil housley game. ten year old me going nuts.

yeah, ulanov was terrible, olausson was terrible, all of the jets defensemen were terrible except numminen. but still, just because ulanov was awful doesn't mean that housley isn't also running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

because this is one of my cherished memories from childhood, humour me and let's go through housley's play goal by goal, shall we?

first goal

8u5pq.jpg

breaks up the cross-ice pass.

mf2y5.jpg

starts to head man the puck. note all three jets in the offensive zone are turning around.

qbljs.jpg

everyone's hustling to get back.

p4rrp.jpg

except phil. where the hell are you going, phil? pucks going the other way.

m4ggb.jpg

that's housley at the left edge of the frame. still going the wrong way.

4uj77.jpg

and for good measure, here's the end of the play. note that housley ends up on the ice.

second goal

ljmb8.jpg

not really his fault; housley's partner throws himself out of the play for no good reason diving at linden's pass to lidster. but another sequence where housley ends up on the ice watching a goal go in.

y1y6e.jpg

kg8wb.jpg

i just think this is funny. also want to drive home the point of why i remember this as "the phil housley game." he's on the ice for five goals against, and repeatedly the play ends with him impotently flopping around on the ice.

third goal

x17mg.jpg

tabaracci makes the save.

yx4gp.jpg

uh oh, sandlak has the puck at the side of the net. he's big, better stand behind the post for no good reason.

kg9m8.jpg

(two seconds later) oh right, i play defense. better chase the puck to the open man that numminen would be covering except that he switched over to take my guy sandlak because i was standing behind the net.

rrymd.jpg

y211w.jpg

better wave my stick in his general direction.

8e1nm.jpg

that's housley on the far right of the frame. hey, at least he's standing up this time.

fourth goal

okay, this is the ulanov one. now as i said, what ulanov did was unforgivable. pass up the middle to pavel frickin' bure. but watch phil.

2nfe2.jpg

ulanov gets the puck in the corner. phil bolts up ice, leaving two canucks deep.

mfsya.jpg

jets winger is covered and housley is up ice so ulanov has no outlet. throws up a prayer to try and hit housley.

991jg.jpg

interception. phil turns around.

jsamc.jpg

and throws himself on the ice so it looks like he tried.

fifth goal

2u72b.jpg

turnover.

zwof9.jpg

instead of retreating, housley lets bure get behind him. not the first or the last defenseman to let that happen to him, but it's game six and he's already scored two goals in that game alone. you should probably know bure's m.o. and be aware of where he is on the ice at all times, especially when the other man on the point is noted defensive stalwart keith tkachuk.

wcbzp.jpg

uob2w.jpg

bure scores. playoff hat trick. ten year old me goes nuts.

EDIT: another interesting thing about this playoff series (and especially game six) is to watch how keith tkachuk giveth (bullying the canucks and scoring two goals from in close), and how keith tkachuk taketh away (he's on the ice and mostly watching the play for three of those goals against). we thought we were in real trouble now that winnipeg had this big tough tkachuk kid, who was just manhandling our big d-corps of diduck, babych, dr. gregg, and dirk; shades of a young cam neely and all that. also of note is his running jostling match with pavel, a holdover from the don cherry/"weasel power" incident from earlier in the year, and continuing an on-ice feud between them that would carry into the '93 playoffs. in this narrative, tkachuk was churla before churla.

the screenshots i took to accompany the play by play are long gone but you get the point.

Reactions: ehhedler

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
i once recapped that game, which i call the phil housley game. ten year old me going nuts.

Although let's not give Tabaracci a free pass for that game. He still should have stopped some of those shots regardless of Housley's defensive defincincies.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Although let's not give Tabaracci a free pass for that game. He still should have stopped some of those shots regardless of Housley's defensive defincincies.

No one gives ol Tabaracci a pass, especially since in 92 they sat Essensa so they wouldn't have to pay him.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Got to see him a lot when he was in Buffalo. Great offensive player. Bad defensive player. Should not be a Hall of Famer.

Wow. No support even from a Buffalo fan. Personally, I'm conflicted on this subject. I can see arguments from both sides. Offensively, I think Phil's play was a model for how a defenseman are supposed to play. He moved the puck so smartly. .. and that year in Winnipeg ('91-92') … he was at his best.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
If Housley had been converted to forward, would his defensive deficiencies have been easier or harder to cover up?

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
What would the consensus be had Housley been moved to forward early in his career by Scotty Bowman? I think Housley could have been an excellent playmaker that excelled in the transition game, while still being a premier PP quarterback. Housley could have easily garnered more than a few 100 plus point years in the 80's to early 90's as a forward. Just keep off the ice on PK and late in games when his team was leading. Likely would not have made the HHOF as a forward, but I never thought Housley had a chance to get in as a defenseman.
Yes, this has been on my mind too... Why didn't anyone try to move him to forward position? It's often asked about Orr, Coffey, probably Bourque too. But in their case I understand it clearly, they operated from the defenseman position, it suited their style better. But with Housley who obviously had no business whatsover in his own defensive zone, what's the risk? You can still use him as a powerplay weapon on the blueline all you want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad