Phil Housley

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
What would the consensus be had Housley been moved to forward early in his career by Scotty Bowman? I think Housley could have been an excellent playmaker that excelled in the transition game, while still being a premier PP quarterback. Housley could have easily garnered more than a few 100 plus point years in the 80's to early 90's as a forward. Just keep off the ice on PK and late in games when his team was leading. Likely would not have made the HHOF as a forward, but I never thought Housley had a chance to get in as a defenseman.

He was!!!!

Bowman converted him to centre after his 2nd season.cant remember how long it lasted I think it was 2 years

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Housley was first converted to defense by his high school coach, Doug Woog.

"I first saw him as an 11-year-old, and he was just so smooth and everything seemed to go in slow motion for him; he wouldn't jet by people, he'd move by people," Woog said. "I thought his chance of getting a scholarship and playing this game might be a reality, but it would be on defense because there was such a shortage of offensive defensemen at the time.

"I used to think the guy who was smart usually had that computer in their head and could see the whole ice and things develop before others. Phillip had that extra sense."

Housley never thought twice about making the switch from forward to defenseman. He considered it a huge honor to be playing varsity hockey at South St. Paul, a rarity for a freshman.

"I liked the ice time and the fact I was able to jump into play, lead a rush, and anticipate plays coming at me through the neutral zone," Housley said. "I learned to be an offensive threat."

Position switch propelled Housley into Hall of Fame

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
As a center he still would have had to cover quite a bit of ice defensively. I get he liked to be in the center of the ice rushing the puck a lot, and setting up guys with nice stretch passes, but that’s not the whole cake of being a center.

Reactions: Tarantula

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
As a center he still would have had to cover quite a bit of ice defensively. I get he liked to be in the center of the ice rushing the puck a lot, and setting up guys with nice stretch passes, but that’s not the whole cake of being a center.

There were plenty of soft centers who sucked defensively. He could of been like.... Super Janney or Short Turgeon.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Hockey draft central says

'Often played forward during early years in Buffalo. He had 13 points at forward in 1983-84, 37 points at forward in 1984-85, and 18 points at forward in 1985-86'

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
There were plenty of soft centers who sucked defensively. He could of been like.... Super Janney or Short Turgeon.

I don't know if he had the pure skill of a Turgeon- although it would have been interesting to see how they would have done as forwards together in Buffalo- but he was probably a better passer than Janney (although I don't know if Janney was as much of a defensive liability)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I remember that he had played forward a bit... but only a bit, or now and then, probably when Buffalo had an injury or something.

You'd think at some point it would have been clear that Housley was not at his best defensively, and one of his several teams would have just said, "Phil, you play left-wing from now on, except on the power-play where you'll play defence." Should have worked.

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.
People do crap on HOUSLEY and yes his D game is Weak (He did have some Flaws but who doesn’t) but Offensively he was great & he was great on PowerPlay...

Now which makes me shake my head is when the HOF induct’s players and they leave out toehr’s who played in almost the exact same time frame (decade).

Like having PHIL HOUSLEY in the HOF isn’t AS controversial as some may think, One of 5 Defenceman I believe with 300+ Goals and is in the TOP 10 in Every Scoring Major Category among Defenceman (Yes the Adjuster’s can “ADJUST”) BUT having HOUSLEY in HOF & not having All Star Defenceman
JC TREMBLAY and DOUG WILSON in the HOF is Nuts/Crazy.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i was just thinking, what if phil housley had ever found himself in a situation like another much derided, one dimensional, and often ineffectual but enormously talented phil, namely phil kessel?

imagine housley on the '97 red wings in larry murphy's place, only instead of pairing him with lidstrom against top competition, they hid him on the third pair behind lidstrom/rouse and fetisov/konstantinov? soft minutes teeing up stretch passes to fedorov and yzerman, manning the point opposite lidstrom with shanahan, yzerman, and fedorov up front. he could have succeeded in that role right?

or, on the other hand, maybe deadmarsh or claude lemieux squishes him like a bug and either colorado wins back to back cups or bowman banishes him to the pizza buffet line. but i do think there could have been a good "phil kessel" situation for housley.

Reactions: Vanzig

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I'm really in the middle as to whether or not Housley should be in the Hall of Fame. I was never a fan of his but 4th all time in goals and points among defensemen is a great accomplishment regardless of his weaknesses.

The Paul Coffey-lite idea I can't go along with. There is just too much of a gap between the two. Coffey was clearly a level above offensively. Coffey was better defensively. Coffey won 3 Norris Trophies and is an all time playoff great as well.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The thing with Housley is that it is going to be easier for him over the years to look better. Younger fans who never saw him play will just look at his raw numbers and think he was better than he was. Chris Osgood is hoping this sort of courtesy extends to goalies as well for future generations.

The problem with Housley is that you were in trouble if he was your best defenseman. Yeah you loved him on the power play but to be an elite defenseman in my opinion you need to play in all situations. He had 140 power play goals scored against while he was on the ice. Ray Bourque had 687. Heck, Paul Coffey, who gets criticized a lot for his defensive play was on for 364. Nick Lidstrom, 535. 492 for Al MacInnis. Brian Leetch 509. Scott Stevens 593. Heck, even Larry Murphy had 419. Gary Suter, never to be a HHOFer, had 392. What does this tell you? It tells you that Housley was rarely trusted to kill penalties. To me, that doesn't scream an elite defenseman. You need to be trusted in all situations. Mike Green has had 51 PPG against in his career. Even in Washington they didn't trust him to do this. Morgan Rielly kills penalties in Toronto and he may lead NHL defensemen in points this year. That's a good thing. PK Subban got more notoriety when he was killing penalties.

Doesn't it strike anyone else as odd that Housley rarely did this anywhere he went? Not to mention he was a shrinking violet in the playoffs. Got out of the 2nd round once and that was in 1998 when he wasn't even a key contributor. How about Team USA? Not much contribution in the 1984 and 1987 Canada Cups. Not sure if he was injured in 1991 or not. But he barely saw the ice in the 1996 World Cup. Can you imagine him holding up in that physical series vs. Canada? I can't. And I guess neither did coach Ron Wilson, that's why he benched him in favour of guys who will never hit the HHOF like Derian and Kevin Hatcher, Mathieu Schneider, etc. Wasn't asked for the 1998 Olympics. Played in 2002 and did surprisingly well actually.

But you just never had him on your team if you wanted to win. Coffey gets criticized on here for the way he played defense. I always thought he was fine defensively, especially when the game was on the line and in the playoffs or internationally. I always felt confident seeing Coffey with the puck on his stick. But he never looked lost in his own end like Housley. Phil Housley played defense his whole career and never really mastered his own end.

Reactions: double5son10

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Such a moot point. Guy is a Hall of Fame inductee. Personally I think it was a good choice. His offensive totals cannot get overlooked.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
No. Coffey was my hero when I played hockey in the early eighties. But then I saw him play in 1990 and several times in 1994-95 and my hero fell in my eyes big time. Maybe he changed his style. But watching live ( Coffey cam following a guy around the ice) he was opportunistic and irresponsible.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The absurdity is those who fault Housley's defensive game but praise Coffey and/or Karlsson.
It's hardly absurd. Coffey and Karlsson are players that coaches were willing to put out in any situation. Coffey went from 1st place team to 1st place team, winning multiple Stanley Cups and Canada Cups. Karlsson was the #1 player on his team for about seven years, with four 1st-team All Star selections and two Norris trophies.

Not one of those things, even once, applied to Housley.

I will say this for Housley, though -- so far, his career goals-for vs. goals-against is looking more impressive than Karlsson's.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
No. Coffey was my hero when I played hockey in the early eighties. But then I saw him play in 1990 and several times in 1994-95 and my hero fell in my eyes big time. Maybe he changed his style. But watching live ( Coffey cam following a guy around the ice) he was opportunistic and irresponsible.
You should go back and watch Coffey at Canada Cup '91. He was awesome. I think in that series (sometimes paired with MacInnis) he struck the perfect balance of offensive and defense.

I would agree, though, that around 1988 to 1993 or something (esp. Pittsburgh and L.A. periods) he was at his weakest defensively.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018

Well I guess you never watched Phil then.

Off the top of my head I actually can't think of a single good defensive play I ever saw him make. Hilarious considering I probably saw him play somewhere around 250 games including most games during his 'prime' on the jets.

Coffey on the other hand? I mean his takeaway in the 84 canada cup is better defense then Housley's entire career.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Karlsson (currently, the version that has played the last couple seasons) is better defensively than both of them. Early Karlsson was like Coffey, and Housley was worse than both of them by a bit...

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Why the move back to defense?

There's a certain feeling being a defenseman if you're into offensive stuff because it feels like you own the whole rink, whether you're into stretch passes, puck carrying stuff, controlling the play, jumping into plays, etc.. It's a smorgasbord of opportunities if you're good at said stuff (Leetch, Karlsson). And you can be a bit more careful/opportunistic in picking your battles than a center, who is more obliged to go in both directions all the time. Offensive D is like a lazy and/or soft center. Fits a non-physical good skater/passer like Housley to a tee.

Housley said:
I remember my agent telling me I might have to spend half the year in the minors before getting a shot with the big club, but I wasn't going to have any of that because I knew how aggressive the play was in the minors

Position switch propelled Housley into Hall of Fame

See he uses the word aggressive here, but probably should have said "unnecessary dirty/violent" or something instead because that quote makes it look like he would rather not go into many heated puck battles in the corners or wherever, whatever league we're talking about. Which is also what happened in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->