Phil Housley discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I think the best options out there are Vigneault and Sutter. Sutter wouldn't want to move out east, so I guess I would go Vigneault ahead of most of the other options mentioned.

In the 12 seasons he coached since 06-07, his teams had 100 points 8 times. One of the years they had 96, and during the lockout year they had 59 in 48 which is a 100 point pace. Last season was not good (77 points) but it was the lowest total any of his teams have had since his '07-08 Canucks had 88. Now, having prime Luongo and prime Lundqvist helped a lot, but he did have some very good offenses and those Canucks and Rangers teams were undoubtedly well coached teams (both won President's Trophies - Vigneault has three of those to his name).

Last edited:

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
If they did do it, I would assume Taylor would be moved up from Rochester. Not sure he’d last, but he’d be given a shot and if not they’d look at the open market.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
If they did do it, I would assume Taylor would be moved up from Rochester. Not sure he’d last, but he’d be given a shot and if not they’d look at the open market.
I really doubt they would go with another rookie. Taylor has no head coaching experience outside of the Rochester job as far as I know. Before that he was an assistant in Rochester and Wilkes-Barre. It's asking for the exact same things to happen as we are seeing with Housley. We need someone who is respected and has been around the block and actually had some sustained success coaching in the big league. Someone who will actually have the ear of this stubborn team.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I really doubt they would go with another rookie. Taylor has no head coaching experience outside of the Rochester job as far as I know. Before that he was an assistant in Rochester and Wilkes-Barre. It's asking for the exact same things to happen as we are seeing with Housley. We need someone who is respected and has been around the block and actually had some sustained success coaching in the big league. Someone who will actually have the ear of this stubborn team.
In a sane world you are absolutely right but it's all but guaranteed that Taylor would either get the job right away or after an interim coach finishes out the year. This team desperately needs a competent professional coach which is why I would be beyond thrilled if we brought Ruff back. He had his flaws for sure but he'd be a million times better than what we have now.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
In a sane world you are absolutely right but it's all but guaranteed that Taylor would either get the job right away or after an interim coach finishes out the year. This team desperately needs a competent professional coach which is why I would be beyond thrilled if we brought Ruff back. He had his flaws for sure but he'd be a million times better than what we have now.

After what he did to Myers by ruining his game by having him bulk up and lose all of his speed, I don't want Ruff within a light year of Dahlin. Ruff would become enthralled with Dahlin's hits and insist that he become like Jay McKee

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010

Sorry, I meant in an interim basis. Not end of season. In that case I have no idea. But I think if Housley got canned mid-season, Taylor is the choice.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
After what he did to Myers by ruining his game by having him bulk up and lose all of his speed, I don't want Ruff within a light year of Dahlin. Ruff would become enthralled with Dahlin's hits and insist that he become like Jay McKee
Just like he did with Klingberg in Dallas right?

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Just like he did with Klingberg in Dallas right?

Klingberg fared well under Ruff, but had his best year once Ruff left

Still, perhaps Ruff learned something from the Myers debacle. But still, I wouldn't give him a chance to mess up another potential franchise defenseman

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
A Housley quote from yesterday after practice:

“You're going to hear a lot from me about 5-on-5 differential because it's the difference between winning and losing. Your special teams have to play an important role but you can't count on them all the time. It's not going to happen all the time. Five-on-five is something we can control. Getting to the net with more traffic was a big focus today."

What I’d love to see is the Sabres actually putting some of these words I vehemently
Agree with into action.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY

“You're going to hear a lot from me about 5-on-5 differential because it's the difference between winning and losing. Your special teams have to play an important role but you can't count on them all the time. It's not going to happen all the time. Five-on-five is something we can control. Getting to the net with more traffic was a big focus today."

What I’d love to see is the Sabres actually putting some of these words I vehemently
Agree with into action.
It'd be really nice if these quotes led to a difference on the ice for once. Someday... :popcorn:

Reactions: Jim Bob

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Nolan was a terrible coach but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised you like him so much

Firing Nolan made the team better the same way trading for Kane, Bogosion, ROR, Fasching, Delauriers, Kulikov, Vesey, and Lehner made the team better. The same way firing Bylsma made the team better. They just kept getting better and better.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY

Agree with into action.
Man, Phil really is that clueless.

The team sucks at ES because they take way too many terrible point shots. Traffic makes those shots marginally better, but they’re still one of the worst outcomes of an offensive possession. Phil should be imploring more creativity from the blueline, not streamlining the offense into a series of low-percentage plays.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Agree with into action.

Well seeing the team has been 1/16 on the PP I don't think you're really counting on them either. So the 5 on 5 play, once again, has been a disaster, PP is also in a funk. Right now, goaltending is the only thing holding us back from mirroring last year. If we can't count on that goaltending, we're screwed.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Man, Phil really is that clueless.

The team sucks at ES because they take way too many terrible point shots. Traffic makes those shots marginally better, but they’re still one of the worst outcomes of an offensive possession. Phil should be imploring more creativity from the blueline, not streamlining the offense into a series of low-percentage plays.
I didn't personally read "getting to the net with more traffic" as taking more low percentage point shots with bodies around the net. But rather getting their bodies with the puck attached closer to the net (ie. plays from more dangerous spots on the ice and more bodies closing in for rebounds, tap ins, etc).

Which is a good thing.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
5-on-5 GF Rank (2017-18): 31st of 31

5-on-5 GF Rank (2018-19): 30th of 31 (thank goodness the 'Yotes haven't scored a 5v5 goal yet)

Small sample this year, but we don't look good (again) at ES. If we continued to be bottom of the barrell in 5v5 offense, Housley's days as coach will be numbered.

Reactions: Gabrielor

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I didn't personally read "getting to the net with more traffic" as taking more low percentage point shots with bodies around the net. But rather getting their bodies with the puck attached closer to the net (ie. plays from more dangerous spots on the ice and more bodies closing in for rebounds, tap ins, etc).

Which is a good thing.
It’s hard to give Phil the benefit of doubt here, when that quote from better coaches leads to ugly, volume based offense, and he’s been bad at coaching up quality looks going back to his time running the Nashville power play.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
5-on-5 GF Rank (2017-18): 31st of 31

5-on-5 GF Rank (2018-19): 30th of 31 (thank goodness the 'Yotes haven't scored a 5v5 goal yet)

Small sample this year, but we don't look good (again) at ES. If we continued to be bottom of the barrell in 5v5 offense, Housley's days as coach will be numbered.
Ugh, those are some pretty damning stats, even given the small sample size. It's not as if we've had a tough schedule yet. If we had played some better teams, we'd likely have 1 win.

Deleted member 27798

Yes! What did Taylor do in Rochester last year that makes some around here think he is the Sabres answer to the carousel of bad head coaching hires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad