Phil Housley discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Considering Housleys contract is done at the end of this season and he is only owed 1 million cutting ties with him would mean absolutely nothing.

You're hung up on saving face on coaches when the only reputation with the Sabres you should care about is a winning one and having a coach like Q with his pedigree behind the bench carrying this team who is just now looking like they are turning a new leaf is a strong statement that we should be taken seriously.

You don't get that with Housley.

Yeah I understand what we're getting with Housley, and I'm not hung up on anything. I just understand the simple concept of bad PR. Re-read my post.

Q could very well be gone by the end of the season and you're nuts if you think the Pegulas are going to jettison a winning coach in the middle of the season after their recent stretch of hiring failures. If the team disappoints down the stretch, Housley's contract really is up, and Q is still available, sure. But that set of circumstances is far from guaranteed.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Yeah and I had a nice creamy caesar salad last week with some left over--it ought to be still good right? Under Q the last 4 years the Hawks are lose first round, lose first round, out of playoffs, out of playoffs when fired this year. I would not be chasing this unicorn. Still not sure about Housley but not looking to switch horses in mid race--especially one that has been a loser for 4 years in a row.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Yeah and I had a nice creamy caesar salad last week with some left over--it ought to be still good right? Under Q the last 4 years the Hawks are lose first round, lose first round, out of playoffs, out of playoffs when fired this year. I would not be chasing this unicorn. Still not sure about Housley but not looking to switch horses in mid race--especially one that has been a loser for 4 years in a row.
I’m having trouble believing that this is even a serious discussion. It’s one of the more unrealistic things anyone could possibly draw up at this present time.

Reactions: ZZamboni

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Do you honestly believe the Hawks are better without Q? How about the fact they have been shedding any and all future for the last 4 years and are now riding out NTC/NMC contracts on players who are hitting 30 and older which created a rift between Q and Bowman that escalated when they got rid of Kitchen.

Bowman is the real problem with that team, not Q. Signing Seabrook to that money who was their #2 was a big nail shutting the coffin closed.

Reactions: sabremike

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Do you honestly believe the Hawks are better without Q? How about the fact they have been shedding any and all future for the last 4 years and are now riding out NTC/NMC contracts on players who are hitting 30 and older which created a rift between Q and Bowman that escalated when they got rid of Kitchen.

Bowman is the real problem with that team, not Q. Signing Seabrook to that money who was their #2 was a big nail shutting the coffin closed.
So Q was the reason they won when they had a team of allstars. Now that Q has to coach Bowman is the reason they are not winning. Got it.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
How is he twisting or warping, or in other words not being honest? To be clear you asked anyone to give you an emotion free answer, so it’s pretty disingenuous for your first comment to be questioning the posters integrity.
But to stay on point, it’s factually correct to say the team’s wins have come against teams that have struggled so far. It’s subjective to some, but I think fair to say Housley’s in game adjustments have continued to be poor. I don’t know who he has developed as you described.

More importantly to all that, why would anyone look at a guy who had no head coaching experience before this, a few years of assisting with a fabulous position group in Nashville, and in his first year was a complete disaster and coached a team to last place, and look at a 15 game stretch of .500 hockey, with two fantastic players added, and think to themselves, ya this coach has proven his critics wrong?

It’s a weird framing of the situation. But if we were just evaluating it’s a discussion to have.

But in the context of one of the best and most experienced coaches in the league becoming available, it’s pretty nuts to say why make the change, they have entertained a little more this year. I mean when they don’t embarrass themselves, which has happened about 4 times this year already.

This thread was started Oct 4th. Quenville was fired Novemeber 6th. If the goal posts have shifted from firing Housley for incompetence to replacing Housley with Quenville that's fine. It would help if it was a new thread though.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
So Q was the reason they won when they had a team of allstars. Now that Q has to coach Bowman is the reason they are not winning. Got it.
Not the sole reason they won however he was one of the many reasons they won.

Asides from that you could protect acres of crops with how much strawman you have here.

The problem was that they had to get rid of young talent and big talent in the later years because of the contracts they were burdened with due to Bowman handing out bad contracts. That's why they are where they are now, bloated contracts, aging core, mis management of talent coming and going.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
This thread was started Oct 4th. Quenville was fired Novemeber 6th. If the goal posts have shifted from firing Housley for incompetence to replacing Housley with Quenville that's fine. It would help if it was a new thread though.

Huh?

The thread may have started then, but you asked a specific question. To which it was answered. You created said goalposts.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
11-13: Phil Housley on WGR (13:00)

#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Howard and Jeremy next on WGR for his weekly Tuesday segment! Tune in:

Housley - Saturday was an important game for us. It was against a very good opponent, and you can understand why the Canucks are leading their division. We had to stay the course against them. We broke in the second period a bit, but we stuck it out until the very end. #Sabres

Housley - You have to go with your top players in the shootout. Casey Mittelstadt's goal, you can see his high-end talent. Carter Hutton made some great saves, especially on the third attempt. It was great to win the first shootout of the year and get a big two points. #Sabres

Housley - I like where Casey Mittelstadt's development has gone this season. He is a student of the game. His game is moving in the right direction. #Sabres

Housley - We've had to tinker with the lines a little bit. It's all about how things are going with the four lines. You have to try and make some combinations work and find a spark. We've had some good combinations, it's up to the players and who wants to step up. #Sabres

Housley - Eichel-Skinner-Pominville had a great run. On Saturday, we were down 3-1 and I just felt Reinhart was playing really well. At that point, you go back to who has had good chemistry in the past. (1/2) #Sabres

Housley - The other lines you try to find balance. It mostly goes by zone starts and who's contributing that night. (2/2) #Sabres

Housley - We want guys to use their instincts and creativity while playing 3-on-3, but if nothing is developing, we want guys to come back and re-group. I think we've done a pretty good job. We got the big win in Montreal, even though it wasn't all that pretty. #Sabres

Housley - we've always wanted our defensemen up in the attack. Once we get in the offensive zone, they're a big part of our attack. When our forwards go to the net and make things hard for the opponent's goalies, it helps out the defensemen and their chances of scoring. #Sabres

Housley - I think it's a great opportunity. We're playing some real good competition against the teams we're facing in the next seven games. Tonight, we can't overlook the Lightning. They've played some terrific hockey, they;re good on the road. (1/2) #Sabres

Housley - I know we've got a tough schedule ahead, but we're going to focus on Tampa Bay tonight. (2/2) #Sabres

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Huh?

The thread may have started then, but you asked a specific question. To which it was answered. You created said goalposts.

The thread title changed. It had been something about the clock ticking on him. Now it's just a discussion thread. Which is good. Whoever changed it took notes from the Botterill thread last year, which looks pretty darn ridiculous now.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Housley - Eichel-Skinner-Pominville had a great run. On Saturday, we were down 3-1 and I just felt Reinhart was playing really well. At that point, you go back to who has had good chemistry in the past. (1/2) #Sabres
Interesting. This quote makes it sound like Pommers isn't going to see first line minutes for a little while. Probably not a bad idea, Philly.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The thread title changed. It had been something about the clock ticking on him. Now it's just a discussion thread. Which is good. Whoever changed it took notes from the Botterill thread last year, which looks pretty darn ridiculous now.

Ok.

So what does that have to do with your goalposts comment? Can we just agree your question was answered fairly and easily by Sabre the win for why we should try to hire one of the best coaches in the last two decades vs hoping Housley will work out?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
It was always a discussion thread. The rest of the title was just filler.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Ok.

So what does that have to do with your goalposts comment? Can we just agree your question was answered fairly and easily by Sabre the win for why we should try to hire one of the best coaches in the last two decades vs hoping Housley will work out?

We are having two different discussions, which makes sense because i was never talking to you. You just started talking. The point i was making was that Housley is a newer coach with a newer team who is doing a very good job coaching.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
We are having two different discussions, which makes sense because i was never talking to you. You just started talking. The point i was making was that Housley is a newer coach with a newer team who is doing a very good job coaching.

What a joke. You put out a simple question to anybody. You just didn’t like the answer. You think he is doing a good job. Perfectly fine.

But your point is wasted if you ask a stupid question like why should we hire a top coach in the league, because our current coach, who failed miserably the year before had a decent start in the first 15 games.

If you want to say that was your way of saying our new coach and newer team, whatever that means, is doing well, okie doke, but it’s pretty silly to think people will not answer the question.

Next time I will wait for a personal invitation to answer easy uncomplicated questions. Now take your ball and go home.

Reactions: ZZamboni

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The point i was making was that Housley is a newer coach with a newer team who is doing a very good job coaching.
I am curious to hear why you think Girgensons-Larsson-Thompson is a better line than Girgensons-Larsson-Berglund? Why ERod constantly sits when he drives play on a line and Thompson who completely kills any and all play has been playing over better players for a few games now.

You know, since Housley is doing a good job.

What is your take on why the coach went from being the worst team last year to looking competent over night?

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Wasn't there a recent quote from Phil about him using advanced stats?

You would think he would at least glance at the Larsson line and how Thompson affects it.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Wasn't there a recent quote from Phil about him using advanced stats?

You would think he would at least glance at the Larsson line and how Thompson affects it.
The organization apparently cares more about this peculiar development path for Thompson than a line that has contributed to team success.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
What a joke. You put out a simple question to anybody. You just didn’t like the answer. You think he is doing a good job. Perfectly fine.

But your point is wasted if you ask a stupid question like why should we hire a top coach in the league, because our current coach, who failed miserably the year before had a decent start in the first 15 games.

If you want to say that was your way of saying our new coach and newer team, whatever that means, is doing well, okie doke, but it’s pretty silly to think people will not answer the question.

Next time I will wait for a personal invitation to answer easy uncomplicated questions. Now take your ball and go home.

You answered a question you didn't understand about a topic you don't understand. From my side it's a dead end.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
I am curious to hear why you think Girgensons-Larsson-Thompson is a better line than Girgensons-Larsson-Berglund? Why ERod constantly sits when he drives play on a line and Thompson who completely kills any and all play has been playing over better players for a few games now.or

What is your take on why the coach went from being the worst team last year to looking competent over night?

The Sabre are 6th in the league. Housley is doing a good job. You want things quantified with advanced stats that aren't always quantifiable, or even necessary to quantify. For your sake i hope you don't let your search for the obscure and unnecessary ruin what has the potential to be an incredibly entertaining season.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The Sabre are 6th in the league. Housley is doing a good job. You want things quantified with advanced stats that aren't always quantifiable, or even necessary to quantify. For your sake i hope you don't let your search for the obscure and unnecessary ruin what has the potential to be an incredibly entertaining season.
I hate to break it to you but Botterill is more of the reason for the turn around then Housley. Over the summer Botterill started showing the players what it means to be a Sabre, showing them the past glory, the historic players who wore the jersey. He instilled them with a sense of pride for the jersey, not only showing them video but he brought in alumni to talk with the players about being a Sabre. Last year guys were just playing for themselves, this year after they bought into being a team.

Housley is just along for the ride. Any coach will look good behind this team, we need the coach who can make in game adjustments. Housley deserves no credit for reverting the lines back mid game because you don't get credit for reverting your own stupidity.

Source: Sabres built bonds with each other and the past, and it's...

Great read on the sense of the big change in the lockerroom from this year to years past.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I hate to break it to you but Botterill is more of the reason for the turn around then Housley. Over the summer Botterill started showing the players what it means to be a Sabre, showing them the past glory, the historic players who wore the jersey. He instilled them with a sense of pride for the jersey, not only showing them video but he brought in alumni to talk with the players about being a Sabre. Last year guys were just playing for themselves, this year after they bought into being a team.

Housley is just along for the ride. Any coach will look good behind this team, we need the coach who can make in game adjustments. Housley deserves no credit for reverting the lines back mid game because you don't get credit for reverting your own stupidity.

Source: Sabres built bonds with each other and the past, and it's...

Great read on the sense of the big change in the lockerroom from this year to years past.

Housley is mentioned prominently in that article. He worked his butt off to bring about a culture change in the locker room.

So during the offseason, the Sabres made a point to create trust. Players called and met with each other. Coach Phil Housley visited players and alumni. General manager Jason Botterill brought in new guys and talked with the holdovers.

“A lot of guys put a lot of time and effort into this organization to bring it where it was and had a lot of great success,” Housley said. “They should realize that the guys that bled for this jersey are important.”

“When we had the alumni golf tournament, Phil grabbed me and says, ‘Danny, will you come in and do something for me on video?’” Gare recalled. “I said, ‘Sure. What do you need?’ He said, ‘Well, I’d really like to talk to you about what it’s like to win here because I want these guys to know what it means to wear the jersey and the logo.’
“I thought that was pretty cool by him. He’s trying to embrace the tradition, what it’s about, because a lot of these young kids don’t know. How would they know? They’re all great kids and great players, but they weren’t born or around when we played.
“Like any organization that is going to be a winner, you have to understand your roots and the builders and how it started.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad