Phil Housley discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres have a winning record at home, are currently in a wild card spot, and every player Housley has had a hand in developing has shown improvement in his short time as head coach. And most importantly, for the first time since Murray was hired, the Sabres are entertaining to watch. Can anybody in a succinct, non emotional response sum up why they think the team is under performing to a point that Housley would need to be fired?
The phenomenon can be explained in 4 words; "I want an iPhone".

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Sabres have a winning record at home, are currently in a wild card spot, and every player Housley has had a hand in developing has shown improvement in his short time as head coach. And most importantly, for the first time since Murray was hired, the Sabres are entertaining to watch. Can anybody in a succinct, non emotional response sum up why they think the team is under performing to a point that Housley would need to be fired?
It's been one easy month for the Sabres, they have played backups and teams struggling near the bottom or currently at the bottom.

Congrats they had a good October, Housleys in game decisions still suck and hes been riding the coattails of our hot top line and earlier in October a hot hand with Hutton. His player usage in game is infuriating, his unwillingness to do any sort of in game adjustments when 2 lines are struggling is baffling. His line changes are suspect to boot as well.

In other words Bylsma had this team at 80 points which is roughly where Housley is nearly trending at and he hasnt faced any real contenders yet except the Sharks and he lost 5-1 when facing them.

This is his final year, he has no more years left after this season currently making 1 million, to cut ties for a coaching upgrade now is no big deal because Housley wont be here next season anyways even if he gets to finish the season out for a lottery pick.

More entertaining doesnt mean good coach, it means better players than previous seasons.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
It's been one easy month for the Sabres, they have played backups and teams struggling near the bottom or currently at the bottom.

Congrats they had a good October, Housleys in game decisions still suck and hes been riding the coattails of our hot top line and earlier in October a hot hand with Hutton. His player usage in game is infuriating, his unwillingness to do any sort of in game adjustments when 2 lines are struggling is baffling. His line changes are suspect to boot as well.

In other words Bylsma had this team at 80 points which is roughly where Housley is nearly trending at and he hasnt faced any real contenders yet except the Sharks and he lost 5-1 when facing them.

This is his final year, he has no more years left after this season currently making 1 million, to cut ties for a coaching upgrade now is no big deal because Housley wont be here next season anyways even if he gets to finish the season out for a lottery pick.

More entertaining doesnt mean good coach, it means better players than previous seasons.

Seems like you are going out of your way to twist and bend and warp the evidence to fit your conclusion. They are 16 games into the season with a roster that has 7 new forwards, 2 new goalies, and a new number 1 overall Dman. They have been playing entertaining games, they've been winning the games they should be, and they keep showing improvement. If you expect any more than that you have unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Seems like you are going out of your way to twist and bend and warp the evidence to fit your conclusion. They are 16 games into the season with a roster that has 7 new forwards, 2 new goalies, and a new number 1 overall Dman. They have been playing entertaining games, they've been winning the games they should be, and they keep showing improvement. If you expect any more than that you have unrealistic expectations.

How is he twisting or warping, or in other words not being honest? To be clear you asked anyone to give you an emotion free answer, so it’s pretty disingenuous for your first comment to be questioning the posters integrity.

But to stay on point, it’s factually correct to say the team’s wins have come against teams that have struggled so far. It’s subjective to some, but I think fair to say Housley’s in game adjustments have continued to be poor. I don’t know who he has developed as you described.

More importantly to all that, why would anyone look at a guy who had no head coaching experience before this, a few years of assisting with a fabulous position group in Nashville, and in his first year was a complete disaster and coached a team to last place, and look at a 15 game stretch of .500 hockey, with two fantastic players added, and think to themselves, ya this coach has proven his critics wrong?

It’s a weird framing of the situation. But if we were just evaluating it’s a discussion to have.

But in the context of one of the best and most experienced coaches in the league becoming available, it’s pretty nuts to say why make the change, they have entertained a little more this year. I mean when they don’t embarrass themselves, which has happened about 4 times this year already.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
But to stay on point, it’s factually correct to say the team’s wins have come against teams that have struggled so far.

Montreal is ahead of us in the standings. Senators, Rangers, Coyotes and VGK are only 3 points behind us. Ducks are one point behind us with a game in hand.

The ONLY team we've beat that have factually struggled is the Kings. Everyone else is right around us.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Montreal is ahead of us in the standings. Senators, Rangers, Coyotes and VGK are only 3 points behind us. Ducks are one point behind us with a game in hand.

The ONLY team we've beat that have factually struggled is the Kings. Everyone else is right around us.
None of those teams are considered contenders except for Vegas and we got outplayed and lost to them when they got their game going.

Anaheim is as well and is dealing with injuries, to be where they are with injuries is good on them and their hot goaltending.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Pre-season, Ducks and Knights were absolutely considered contenders. Kings were fringe contenders.
Hmmm I don't think many people actually believed that, last year was a testament to where they are trending and signing Kovulchuk this year was never going to put them over the top.

The Kings glory years are done, they will ride out as a fringe bubble team for the rest of Kopitars and Doughtys contracts

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Hmmm I don't think many people actually believed that, last year was a testament to where they are trending and signing Kovulchuk this year was never going to put them over the top.

The Kings glory years are done, they will ride out as a fringe bubble team for the rest of Kopitars and Doughtys contracts

I don't disagree with you, and would have agreed with you pre-season.

But plenty of national pundits were pegging both the Ducks and Kings as playoff teams at minimum.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
The easy "strength of schedule" is silly for hockey in general.

Who are the good teams we were supposed to have beaten? We really going to say because they didn't beat the Bruins, Avs, and the Sharks that they havent proven anything? Not like they've had a million opportunities to play great competition and blown them all.

Our first 2 wins last year were against playoff teams. That proved a lot....

Look at the Lightning's last 5 games:

Wins against OTT, EDM, NYI, MTL / Loss against NSH

This whole season they've had 1 win against top 10 ten teams in the current standings (which I know will still shake up). Is anyone saying Tampa is in their current position because of their schedule?

Reactions: Jeremy2020

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Totally true.

However, Montreal had a hot start and our first victory bookended with yesterdays wins has been a very in playoff like run.

But definitely one of our best wins in this short start to the season. Good on them for outperforming expectations.

Anaheim and LA have struggled and were struggling when we played them. The rags we split with are terrible and will have a bad season. We split with a terrible Ottawa, regardless of one game being a blowout. We split with Vegas, and got embarrassed in the loss, imo outplayed badly. Coyotes were in a terrible stretch.

Boston, Colorado dunked on us with their groin right in the face. Columbus and San Jose comfortably beat us.

And ya the points are close for most teams because it’s so early.

But my point was not to say there is overwhelming easy wins only on their ledger. It’s pointless in such a short period of time.

As is using this ten game stretch to think that tells you more than a deadlast finish over 82 games.

Particularly since the small sample is with an overall significant bump in talent.

Let’s just say it’s all inconsequential when used as an effort to choose Housley over Quennville, if he was interested.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The easy "strength of schedule" is silly for hockey in general.

Who are the good teams we were supposed to have beaten? We really going to say because they didn't beat the Bruins, Avs, and the Sharks that they havent proven anything? Not like they've had a million opportunities to play great competition and blown them all.

Our first 2 wins last year were against playoff teams. That proved a lot....

Look at the Lightning's last 5 games:

Wins against OTT, EDM, NYI, MTL / Loss against NSH

This whole season they've had 1 win against top 10 ten teams in the current standings (which I know will still shake up). Is anyone saying Tampa is in their current position because of their schedule?

I think your missing the point. It wasn’t to denigrate the ability of the team. It was to suggest that the coach has not done anything special at this point. Which is certainly true, for probor anti Housley, it’s just meaningless, particularly in such a small sample size.

Bringing up Tampa is right on point, nobody would say they are good based on this few games so far. Instead look at their last year, or further history. They have been great for a while.

Meanwhile look at Housley’s last year and only history, hmmm. Yes enough evidence to sign The Stache.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The Sabres would be wise to consult with GM Jack Eichel and his assistant, Jeff Skinner before they contemplate any coaching changes.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
What are the odds of Phil Housley eventually becoming a better coach than Q and getting more than 3 Cups? Drop him in a heartbeat.

I just can't see that happening unless Housley gives them a huge reason to do so, like a very long losing streak. And that may never happen, so we may be stuck with mediocre coaching for a while, and Q will be long gone.

They won't risk the optics after firing so many coaches in such a short period of time. One of the cons to owning multiple major franchises I guess.

Reactions: Fearnot

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Can we talk about the awkwardness of potentially signing q then asking Housley to stay on board as defense coach lol? Has this crossed anyone else's mind?

Reactions: CraniumCram

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I just can't see that happening unless Housley gives them a huge reason to do so, like a very long losing streak. And that may never happen, so we may be stuck with mediocre coaching for a while, and Q will be long gone.

They won't risk the optics after firing so many coaches in such a short period of time. One of the cons to owning multiple major franchises I guess.
Considering Housleys contract is done at the end of this season and he is only owed 1 million cutting ties with him would mean absolutely nothing.

You're hung up on saving face on coaches when the only reputation with the Sabres you should care about is a winning one and having a coach like Q with his pedigree behind the bench carrying this team who is just now looking like they are turning a new leaf is a strong statement that we should be taken seriously.

You don't get that with Housley.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I do not want to get carried away with the shiny new toy syndrome. Patrick Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Panarin, Saad, Big Buff etc. etc. in their prime on that team in the last few years could make a lot of coaches look good. At the same time they have had middle six players that would have been stars with the Sabres. I am not expert enough or experienced enough to properly evaluate Housley but I advise caution if past performance is what you are basing your judgements on.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Considering Housleys contract is done at the end of this season and he is only owed 1 million cutting ties with him would mean absolutely nothing.

You're hung up on saving face on coaches when the only reputation with the Sabres you should care about is a winning one and having a coach like Q with his pedigree behind the bench carrying this team who is just now looking like they are turning a new leaf is a strong statement that we should be taken seriously.

You don't get that with Housley.

Housley only has a two year deal???

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I've read it from an article.
What article? I recall there being some spurious talk last year about him only being on a one year deal due to what was on CapFriendly at the time. As of now, CapFriendly has no contract information whatsoever on Housley.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
As much as Q would be awesome, at some point you need stability. You cannot fire a coach who inherited a shit show in his 2nd year especially when they are surprising the hockey world. We finished last 3 out of the previous 5 seasons. At some point you need to have continuity, especially with all the young guys we have.

That being said, seeing how this team can play if we falter the last 3 quarters of the season and arent in the playoff race all year then I would hire Q if still there with Pegula buck$.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
What article? I recall there being some spurious talk last year about him only being on a one year deal due to what was on CapFriendly at the time. As of now, CapFriendly has no contract information whatsoever on Housley.
Yeah I legit spent over an hour trying all different searches for any information on his contract. To your point the only stuff I was able to find was the CapFriendly stuff, and a few threads on these boards furthering the 1 year deal due to CapFriendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad