Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Phil Housley makes medicine sick.
Seems like a good place to reuse Housley's "Blue & Gold Make Green" logo
st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u2.jpg

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I just like to see quotes like this by Phil, at a time when everyone in the league talks about the royal road, getting goalies lateral and possession over bad shots. Sigh.

Reactions: joshjull

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
He is realy proficient and consistent in making wrong line up or ingame adjustments.
He is really good at it..nearly generational

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Anyone else feel that "we were screwed" describes Sabre fans thoughts on Phil's tenure?

At least with Abysmal we knew that we were going to stretch pass ourselves to death. With Housley he’s been exactly everything opposite to what was expected.

This reminds me of when the Bills hired Marrone and during his opening press conference he talked about using analytics. I thought, “oh a guy who’s been in the game for awhile but is embracing new additional ways to look at the game.” Seriously. I gave him the benefit. We don’t know from the outside. Marrone then scoffed repeatedly about the stats saying going for it on 4th and 1 and the opponents 35 is a good idea.

I don’t envy the Pegulas position. They thought they were getting something completely different. Housley is an old school “by the gut” coach. For f***s sake he plays Sobotka because he’s a “good” PKer even though the most basic of stats show that he’s average at best. He once put Thompson BACK INTO the lineup vs the Red Wings (a few months ago) because he had a good game against the Wings a few months prior. WHAT. This is the archaic shit that he spews.

I feel duped because I legitimately thought if we were not good we’d at least be having fun (high event hockey). Buffalo is playing, and has been playing, the most low event, unexciting, boring, and horrible hockey of any team across 4 coaches and 8 seasons imaginable. Admit you made a bad hire and move on.

Reactions: Chainshot

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
At least with Abysmal we knew that we were going to stretch pass ourselves to death. With Housley he’s been exactly everything opposite to what was expected.

This reminds me of when the Bills hired Marrone and during his opening press conference he talked about using analytics. I thought, “oh a guy who’s been in the game for awhile but is embracing new additional ways to look at the game.” Seriously. I gave him the benefit. We don’t know from the outside. Marrone then scoffed repeatedly about the stats saying going for it on 4th and 1 and the opponents 35 is a good idea.

I don’t envy the Pegulas position. They thought they were getting something completely different. Housley is an old school “by the gut” coach. For ****s sake he plays Sobotka because he’s a “good” PKer even though the most basic of stats show that he’s average at best. He once put Thompson BACK INTO the lineup vs the Red Wings (a few months ago) because he had a good game against the Wings a few months prior. WHAT. This is the archaic **** that he spews.

I feel duped because I legitimately thought if we were not good we’d at least be having fun (high event hockey). Buffalo is playing, and has been playing, the most low event, unexciting, boring, and horrible hockey of any team across 4 coaches and 8 seasons imaginable. Admit you made a bad hire and move on.

One of the biggest complaints from Nashville fans was that the power play he ran was far too reliant on providing offense from the point... I can remember many Sabres fans making excuses for him, saying it was a 'wise strategy to use guys like Ellis, Josi, and Weber (and Subban) as the primary shooting options'.

As fans we often glaze over negatives and over emphasize the positives with new hires. Of course no one knew how he (and his own staff) would operate, but some of these criticisms were there in the past.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Jack Eichel is one of the best skaters this franchise has ever had and he regularly passes up quality slot chances to move the puck back to the point. It isn't about innate talent, this is about coaching.
My point is whether Housley implements this moronic system because a good number of players (a) aren't able to find the soft 'high danger' areas and/or (b) aren't good shooters. And if that is not the case, then perhaps Okposo may still have some value to this team.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
One of the biggest complaints from Nashville fans was that the power play he ran was far too reliant on providing offense from the point... I can remember many Sabres fans making excuses for him, saying it was a 'wise strategy to use guys like Ellis, Josi, and Weber (and Subban) as the primary shooting options'.

As fans we often glaze over negatives and over emphasize the positives with new hires. Of course no one knew how he (and his own staff) would operate, but some of these criticisms were there in the past.

Anyone else feel that "we were screwed" describes Sabre fans thoughts on Phil's tenure?

I just went back and read the Housley thread when he was hired...wow...

This isn't to hold anybody to the fire for what they said, because I think everyone rightfully so should give the benefit of the doubt in the beginning. But some of the comments by a collection of posters and where they are today are drastically different.

Chain, you ask if some feel like "we were screwed"...Based on comments made by some posters today that made comments back in 2017, yes, that is a resounding yes.

Just some quotes i chuckled at:

I couldn't be more happy. Structure, structure, structure.

It will take Housley like 2 days of camp to fall head over heels in love with Reinhart.

Andrew Allen is a great coach, and very well regarded around the league. No need to go around looking for replacements.

I'm pretty excited about the potential chemistry between Antipin and Housley. That could be a real nice fit in philosophy.

Very happy that Phil identified one of the issues from the last regime this early in the season and focused it squarely on the players willingness to listen. He won't last as coach if the players don't need to listen, aren't held accountable and continue existing in this losing culture of appeasement. Don't need a repeat of last season's mutiny.

Fire this idiot as soon as possible.
^Said on OCT 21, 2017

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
We've heard about players not listening to Housley. What about Housley listening to his his assistants? Either he doesn't listen to his assistants or they don't have anything worthwhile to contribute.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
We've heard about players not listening to Housley. What about Housley listening to his his assistants? Either he doesn't listen to his assistants or they don't have anything worthwhile to contribute.
Is that true? Players not listening? If so there is a major problem with the young core of the Sabres. I remember Lehner going off about the young players laughing at Gionta. There is obviously something wrong in that lockerroom, I fear who it might be.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Is that true? Players not listening? If so there is a major problem with the young core of the Sabres. I remember Lehner going off about the young players laughing at Gionta. There is obviously something wrong in that lockerroom, I fear who it might be.

Do you think I made it up?
Inside the Sabres: It comes down to a matter of respect
Too many Sabres either don't care or think they're in charge. Coach Phil Housley has a great knack for forecasting exactly what the opponent will do, and he explains it clearly in the morning. When the puck drops, the opponent follows the blueprint and the Sabres stand there and get run over.
The players don't listen or, even worse, don't feel they even have to listen. It's a major reason why the Sabres are bottom-feeders once again.
The Sabres seem too fragile to be able to achieve their goals
This is a group that does not respond to coaching whether it’s Phil Housley, Dan Bylsma or Ted Nolan. It just never seems to matter who the coach is. This is a group that sometimes follows the game plan and when they do, they’re successful.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
can anyone here write a synopsis of housley's system with only the xs and os and no opinions about him?

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
If he stays then Botts needs to go. Housley should be gone based on performance alone but when you factor in who is available to replace him it should absolutely be a no brainer. It says a lot, too much really, about Botts if he keeps him any longer than Tuesday next week.

Reactions: BananaSquad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad