Former Bruins Phil Esposito: Legendary Bruins Sniper

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
To some extent I think you are right. I have no problem with that. Espo thought Cherry was a part of the reason he was traded as well. He rightfully felt that the coach and GM surely were in on the decision to trade him together. The dude had put up monster numbers and helped the Bruins become very successful. To be cast aside and traded to the one team he didn't want to be traded to I'm sure resulted in resentment that transcended just Sinden.
Getting Brad Park had a lot to do with it. Team comes first.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
3 pages in on the Espo thread and not a mention of what a fabulous singer he was....

You're welcome.

Oh my God. At work so I can't view, but will upon return home. Thank you!

It's the hair. It's always about the hair,

I also saw that Esposito said he picked up his snap shot technique from playing with Bobby Hull while he was in Chicago either for how great of numbers he put up I don’t think Espo gets as much respect, or acknowledgment might be the better word, as he should. Younger hockey fans probably have no idea who he was which is a shame considering he was the first player ever to score 60 and 70 goals in a season.

That Thunder and Lightning book was so good.

Cash was not pleased about some of the details. (I actually haven't read that one.)

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
He was still under the contract he signed (under false pretenses) with the Bruins, he couldn't break that without a harsh penalty.

Yep.
in 1974 the WHA signed a court consent decree that it would not sign any players currently under NHL contracts. They could draft them and retain the player rights for later.
In 1977 Robert Picard refused to report to the Capitals because the Nordiques offered him 25K more per year. As soon as Max McNab , Caps GM, was made aware he went right to court and got an injunction. If the Nords proceeded, and broke the consent decree, the Caps and NHL were going to sue the WHA for everything they had.

To that end the WHA immediately declared Picards deal with the Nords un certified null and void.

“In announcing his decision today in Hartford, WHA president Howard Baldwin said, "After reviewing the entire situation, we cannot approve this contract until such time as the WHA is satisfied that Picard is free to enter such an agreement.

"I have discussed this decision with WHA board chairman Ben Hatskin and we are in agreement that it is in the best interest of the WHA and the best interests of hockey.

"In this situation the responsibility lies with Picard and his representatives to establish his free agency."

John Dacres, president of the Nordiques, said, "Naturally I am disappointed in losing Picard. However, I respect the circumstances under which the decision was made and therefore I respect the decision itself."

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
i was nine in 1970 and was so fortunate to watch so many of his games live and on 38. espo was highly skilled in more ways than just points. bobby orr, in my opinion, was about the best puck possession player in the history of the game, espo was an amazing #2 possession guy. the bruins had the puck a lot. exciting times.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
I've seen that interview segment many times. I'll take a look again.
I am likely misremembering about blocking the window: Megliola: Esposito still firing shots
C16B1CA9-F1F1-40F8-9223-478565E7250D.jpeg

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Was that the West Coast game (probably not) where the B's were down big ^ after two periods and Bobby said, basically, get it together and let's show 'em we can win it in the third. And they did.

Both Orr and Esposito were tremendous competitors.

"All they wanted to do," observed Gary Cheevers, "was win. Bobby in his way, Phil in his.

"And we won."
You are correct, sir! Except they were down big after 1 period, I think it was 5-1. Gerry Cheevers always said that he didn't care about his stats, only that the team won. :)

Reactions: GordonHowe

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Getting Brad Park had a lot to do with it. Team comes first.
Absolutely! The trade was essentially Espo for Park. Vadnais for Ratelle was to balance the positions involved. Emile the Cat gave Sinden his choice of Ranger centers and he nearly took Walter Tkaczuk (talk about a depreciating asset).

The trade was the result of 2 factors. Firstly, Sinden knew that Orr's knees only had limited miles left on them. He always wanted to built his teams around a dominant dman. Secondly, Esposito's numbers had begun to slip ever so slightly: 41 goals in the first 40 games, but only 20 goals in the 2nd half of the previous season. When he started the next season with lower numbers (6 goals in 12 games), Sinden wanted to cash in his prize asset while he was still at maximum value. Ruthless, yes, but that's the business.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Absolutely! The trade was essentially Espo for Park. Vadnais for Ratelle was to balance the positions involved. Emile the Cat gave Sinden his choice of Ranger centers and he nearly took Walter Tkaczuk (talk about a depreciating asset).

The trade was the result of 2 factors. Firstly, Sinden knew that Orr's knees only had limited miles left on them. He always wanted to built his teams around a dominant dman. Secondly, Esposito's numbers had begun to slip ever so slightly: 41 goals in the first 40 games, but only 20 goals in the 2nd half of the previous season. When he started the next season with lower numbers (6 goals in 12 games), Sinden wanted to cash in his prize asset while he was still at maximum value. Ruthless, yes, but that's the business.

Just wondering, how does one nearly choose a player?

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
You are correct, sir! Except they were down big after 1 period, I think it was 5-1. Gerry Cheevers always said that he didn't care about his stats, only that the team won. :)
I seen an excerpt about the Red Army hockey team who were one of the best high powered teams ever I might add but anyhow I read a quote where they considered Cheevers best goalie they faced.Must try to find it to see who there said it.1974 WHA vs RedArmy series was a good er

Last edited:

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I dont know about choice here but I do remember Sinden lamenting his pick of Jim Carey over Olaf Kozig with Washington. He had his pick of which one and he later said himself that he blew it.
A few days before that trade, Boston played the Caps at Landover, MD, and I was at the game. Anson Carter scored 2 for the Caps, and the rumors were that Mike O'Connell was very impressed with Carter from that game. And you are correct, Wally, that da Broons were given their choice of any of the 3 Caps' goalies--those 2 plus Dafoe.

BTW, the Caps had one of the best prospect pools in the league at the time, and it was stated that other teams mocked da Broons for getting Allison and Carter, and not one of the Caps' young star prospects. However, I think da Broons had the last laugh, as both Allison and Carter became high-quality NHLers. One person, I remember stated that Allison was so good that he dominated half of da Broons' games in which he played. He was a lot like Coyle, but with much better hands and stickhandling ability. In other words, not a fast skater, but once he got the puck on his stick in the offensive zone, nobody took it from him. Like Coyle, a possession monster.

I don't know if people remember, but Konowalchuk was supposed to come to da Broons as well, but when Poile found out that Tocchet was about to become a UFA at season's end, he was pulled from the trade, and subbed with a conditional 2nd, if Tocchet re-signed with Caps, which he did not. Wow, quite the sentence! LOL.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I seen an excerpt about the Red Army hockey team who were one of the best high powered teams ever I might add but anyhow I read a quote where they considered Cheevers best goalie they faced.Must try to find it to see who there said it.1974 WHA vs RedArmy series was a good er

I do recall that also.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
A look back at the illustrious career of Bruins legend and two time Stanley cup champion Phil Esposito.

Esposito grew up in a blue-collar environment. His father, Patrick Esposito, dropped out of school during the 1930’s Great Depression. Phil’s mother, Frances, occasionally played in the net while her two sons shot a rolled-up sock at her in their family home. “Most of the time, Tony was the goaltender. But I remember my mother [Frances] coming downstairs to check on us, and we’d put her in goal. She’d get down on her hands and knees, and we’d shoot at her. After beating her several times, she would say, “Okay, boys, that’s enough. You’re taking advantage of your poor mother.” Then she would return to her kitchen and prepare our next meal.”
One of my faves!

• Love
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Prior to that trade by about a week I was hearing rumors that Cherry had had enough of Espo acting like HE was the coach and refusing to get off of the ice

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Hey guys, I'm working on a piece on the Summit Series and was curious if someone can help me out.

In his book "Hockey is my life", Esposito writes on page 195, that he was miffed at two Canadian players declining to play for Team Canada. One supposedly bs'ed a knee injury and the other one made up excuses, having invested money into a hockey school. Who is he talking about? Esposito doesn't name them in the book.

Reactions: GordonHowe

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Hey guys, I'm working on a piece on the Summit Series and was curious if someone can help me out.

In his book "Hockey is my life", Esposito writes on page 195, that he was miffed at two Canadian players declining to play for Team Canada. One supposedly bs'ed a knee injury and the other one made up excuses, having invested money into a hockey school. Who is he talking about? Esposito doesn't name them in the book.
I have the book, but it's been ages since I read it. I don't recall whose those players were. I do recall that perhaps a couple of players weren't allowed on Team Canada because they signed with the WHA, most notably Bobby Hull. I also recall that a few players quit the team during the tournament because they weren't playing enough, such as Vic Hatfield (I don't recall the others, but it was more than just him).

Reactions: Gordoff

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I have the book, but it's been ages since I read it. I don't recall whose those players were. I do recall that perhaps a couple of players weren't allowed on Team Canada because they signed with the WHA, most notably Bobby Hull. I also recall that a few players quit the team during the tournament because they weren't playing enough, such as Vic Hatfield (I don't recall the others, but it was more than just him).

Exactly, four players in total couldn't play because of the WHA stuff, iirc: Hull, Cheevers and I don't recall the other two names. But I don't think he meant any of them.
He writes the one player had a bull knee injury, maybe someone remembers. I mean, he can't mean Bobby Orr. Orr was with the team, the entire time, his team mate. Although I'm reading up on some trouble between Orr, Eagleson and Esposito.

Anyway, maybe we'll find out. Esposito writes: "they know who they are"

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Phil Esposito has very good reasons for being bitter towards the Bruins. Sinden promised Phil that he would be a Bruin for life if he signed a team friendly deal. Gave Phil his word, and Phil took it as gospel. Harry traded him 2 months later.

Phil was also out on a golf course talking with a WHA team during the 1974 SCF
about a contract. So Esposito wasn't exactly exemplary in his behavior either.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Phil was also out on a golf course talking with a WHA team during the 1974 SCF
about a contract. So Esposito wasn't exactly exemplary in his behavior either.

I've never heard that story confirmed. The story about Harry screwing Phil has more than one confirmation, including Harry himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad