Former Bruins Phil Esposito: Legendary Bruins Sniper

A look back at the illustrious career of Bruins legend and two time Stanley cup champion Phil Esposito.

Esposito grew up in a blue-collar environment. His father, Patrick Esposito, dropped out of school during the 1930’s Great Depression. Phil’s mother, Frances, occasionally played in the net while her two sons shot a rolled-up sock at her in their family home. “Most of the time, Tony was the goaltender. But I remember my mother [Frances] coming downstairs to check on us, and we’d put her in goal. She’d get down on her hands and knees, and we’d shoot at her. After beating her several times, she would say, “Okay, boys, that’s enough. You’re taking advantage of your poor mother.” Then she would return to her kitchen and prepare our next meal.”

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I’m good with Phil. He still shits on the B’s.

Too bad he turned his back on our team.

Phil Esposito has very good reasons for being bitter towards the Bruins. Sinden promised Phil that he would be a Bruin for life if he signed a team friendly deal. Gave Phil his word, and Phil took it as gospel. Harry traded him 2 months later.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Always portraited as a garbage goal scorer. By those who didn't watch him play.

Funny looking skater but had a lethal wrister with super quick release. Great playmaker, led the league in assists 3 times. Think Charlie Coyle is a possession guy? Nobody could take the puck from Espo once he had it.

Did he benefit from playing with Orr? Of course, everyone did. Not much of a defensive player but was good on the PK because he could rag the puck and was still a threat offensively. Definitely played longer shifts than anyone else.

His Summit Series performance was legendary.

aguineapig

The most prolific goal scorer of all time during the time he wore the spoked B. First player to record a 100 pt season (126). Art Ross trophy 71-74 as well as 1969. Led the league in goals six straight years. 76 goals, 152 pts in 1971 was Babe Ruth like until Gretzky came along. And the Summit Series as Bonvie stated. He is an all time great and Boston was lucky to have him. I loved Espo.
1668525440353.png

Last edited by a moderator:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Phil Esposito has very good reasons for being bitter towards the Bruins. Sinden promised Phil that he would be a Bruin for life if he signed a team friendly deal. Gave Phil his word, and Phil took it as gospel. Harry traded him 2 months later.
Sinden actually brought Orr with him to tell Espo he'd been traded. When they got to Espo room he new something was up and said Bobby don't tell me I've been traded and if its to the rangers Im jumping out that window. Sinden replied by telling Bobby to go open up the window. lol

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I have zero dislike of Espo. No matter how Espo feels about the Bruins, I will always regard him as a Bruin great and appreciate what he accomplished. Still love the guy.

Boston jobbed him. He was coming off a 61 goal season. He had just turned down a massive monetary offer from the WHA so that he could stay loyal to the Bruins. The one team he did not want to be traded to was the NYR. Sinden then traded him to the NYR.

Espo learned to love New York City eventually, but he had every right to hate what Sinden did to him. He was also a great competitor, and he has openly said that the NYR players when he got there didn't give a rat's ass about winning. That poured fuel on the fire in his mind I am sure.

I feel like Espo got revenge in some way by being a massive force behind Tampa getting a team. We all know what a pain in the ass TB has been for the Bs in recent years.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Sinden actually brought Orr with him to tell Espo he'd been traded. When they got to Espo room he new something was up and said Bobby don't tell me I've been traded and if its to the rangers Im jumping out that window. Sinden replied by telling Bobby to go open up the window. lol

I thought it was Don Cherry that told Phil he had been traded.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Timely article in the Athletic today, discussing the trade from Jean Ratelle's perspective....

he calls a good game for the bolts. you can tell he played in Boston bc hes pretty cynical
To each their own, but I find the Bolts radio broadcast un-listenable. Dave Mishkin is the worst.....

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

That was Don Cherry. Sinden was nowhere near the Bruins that night.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Timely article in the Athletic today, discussing the trade from Jean Ratelle's perspective....

To each their own, but I find the Bolts radio broadcast un-listenable. Dave Mishkin is the worst.....
the goal calls are but they call a good game besides that

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Book "The Brothers Esposito" was a good read when I was younger.
Thunder and Lightning is a really good read by Esposito

That was Don Cherry. Sinden was nowhere near the Bruins that night.
waited until they were on the west coast before finalizing deal.

Also remember the Bruins yearbook the next year when they talked about the trade and some of the Canadiens reactions. Apparently the editor was not aware of what Tabernac meant

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Yep I believe your right it was Cherry

I was picking my memory from Espo's Thunder and Lightning book. Thanks for the correction :thumbu:
You are right it was Cherry, I think he has said he wanted to throw him out the window if I remember right . I will say if it was Sinden who went into the hotel room he would have been thrown out the window.........

Reactions: nORRis8

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
And it is justified , he was BS by a certified BS'er
Esposito wasn't exactly a saint. During the 1974 Stanley Cup Finals he was out golfing with reps of a WHA team talking potential
contract. I remember listening years ago to Ken Hodge on Calling All Sports or Cliff & Claf and heard him say it. I couldn't believe it, so I called in and asked Hodge if I heard him right and he confirmed it.
Lost a lot of respect for Esposito hearing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad