Former Bruins Phil Esposito: Legendary Bruins Sniper

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I've never heard that story confirmed. The story about Harry screwing Phil has more than one confirmation, including Harry himself.

I was told this by Ken Hodge back in the 70's on Cliff & Claf. He mentioned it and I was so surprised I called in and asked him if I heard him correctly and he repeated it literally to me.

Reactions: sarge88

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I was told this by Ken Hodge back in the 70's on Cliff & Claf. He mentioned it and I was so surprised I called in and asked him if I heard him correctly and he repeated it literally to me.

Well, ok. In the end Phil refused the AHL money to remain a Bruin, and was promised he would be a Bruin for life. Then Harry screwed him.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Hey guys, I'm working on a piece on the Summit Series and was curious if someone can help me out.

In his book "Hockey is my life", Esposito writes on page 195, that he was miffed at two Canadian players declining to play for Team Canada. One supposedly bs'ed a knee injury and the other one made up excuses, having invested money into a hockey school. Who is he talking about? Esposito doesn't name them in the book.

This is not the same thing, but Serge Savard has said that NYR's Vick Hatfield was unhappy with his minutes, and eventually went home. I'm sure you can find what you're looking for. Just do a bit of digging.

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Well, ok. In the end Phil refused the AHL money to remain a Bruin, and was promised he would be a Bruin for life. Then Harry screwed him.

That's Harry.

Like many successful men, he was a bastard. And that's in no small measure why he was successful.

But you can be successful without being a using prick. It's too bad Harry never understood that.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
I recall Dallas Smith not attending due to having to harvest the crops oh the farm. There were a few others as well as the WHA lepers (or leapers)

Hadfield, Rick Martin and Josh Guevremont bailed after Sweden. The real headscratcher was Gilbert Perreault

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
That was Don Cherry. Sinden was nowhere near the Bruins that night.
Espo would've thrown Sinden out of that window.

Phil said it was Cherry and Orr in his book. The quote from Phil was accurate, but Cherry told Orr to block the window rather than open it.
No, IIRC he said "Bobby, get away from that window."

Last edited:

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
You are correct, sir! Except they were down big after 1 period, I think it was 5-1. Gerry Cheevers always said that he didn't care about his stats, only that the team won. :)
I believe it was 6-1 and the Bruins came back to win 8-6. It's on YouTube, If I have the time I'll post it.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
A few days before that trade, Boston played the Caps at Landover, MD, and I was at the game. Anson Carter scored 2 for the Caps, and the rumors were that Mike O'Connell was very impressed with Carter from that game. And you are correct, Wally, that da Broons were given their choice of any of the 3 Caps' goalies--those 2 plus Dafoe.

BTW, the Caps had one of the best prospect pools in the league at the time, and it was stated that other teams mocked da Broons for getting Allison and Carter, and not one of the Caps' young star prospects. However, I think da Broons had the last laugh, as both Allison and Carter became high-quality NHLers. One person, I remember stated that Allison was so good that he dominated half of da Broons' games in which he played. He was a lot like Coyle, but with much better hands and stickhandling ability. In other words, not a fast skater, but once he got the puck on his stick in the offensive zone, nobody took it from him. Like Coyle, a possession monster.

I don't know if people remember, but Konowalchuk was supposed to come to da Broons as well, but when Poile found out that Tocchet was about to become a UFA at season's end, he was pulled from the trade, and subbed with a conditional 2nd, if Tocchet re-signed with Caps, which he did not. Wow, quite the sentence! LOL.
I thought that Konowalchuk refused to go to the B's and threatened to retire?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
This is not the same thing, but Serge Savard has said that NYR's Vick Hatfield was unhappy with his minutes, and eventually went home. I'm sure you can find what you're looking for. Just do a bit of digging.

Found it in Harry Sinden: Hockey Showdown, p. 54.

Sinden says he was miffed about Walt Tkaczuk using the hockey school argument, as apparently every player had such a camp. That's fits Esposito's story.

The other could be Eddie Giacomin. Sinden states: "he had to beg off with a knee injury". That fits Esposito's description.

-----------

Oh there appears to be certain mystery to the Hadfield drama. Him and couple other players quit on the team and flew home after the Sweden stint, before playing the four games in Moskau. Some say there was bias towards him from Sinden, didn't get opportunities. But that's a story for another thread.

Reactions: GordonHowe

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Sinden actually brought Orr with him to tell Espo he'd been traded. When they got to Espo room he new something was up and said Bobby don't tell me I've been traded and if its to the rangers Im jumping out that window. Sinden replied by telling Bobby to go open up the window. lol

I thought it was Don Cherry that told Phil he had been traded.

Yep I believe your right it was Cherry.

It was definitely Grapes:

When I heard Dick Irvin break the news about the trade on CFCF ( the Montreal CTV affiliate ) I thought he was full of crap and refused to believe it until I read about in the next day's Montreal Gazette. I don't mind admitting that I started to cry at that point - and not little tears either. :cry:

EDIT: I guess I should have read the entire thread before posting as bruins19 posted the Cherry clip before I did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad