Phil Danault vs Sean Monahan

Phil Danault vs Sean Monahan

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Monahan is probably the better player overall but Danault is better than Monahan without the puck.
And for this, I'd take Danault, since we have Suzuki already.

Reactions: Luckylarry

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Monahan deserves better than this.

Danault’s career high in points is 53. Monahan’s career high in assists is 48, and his strong suit is his goal scoring.

Monahan is a very smart player who knows where he needs to be on the ice as well as being one of the best players in the league at scoring in tight. He’s a pretty “boring” player, and if he was anywhere near as flashy as Gaudreau people would be fawning over him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Different style players. I’ll give the offensive guy the advantage.

Monahan deserves better than this.

Danault’s career high in points is 53. Monahan’s career high in assists is 48, and his strong suit is his goal scoring.

Monahan is a very smart player who knows where he needs to be on the ice as well as being one of the best players in the league at scoring in tight. He’s a pretty “boring” player, and if he was anywhere near as flashy as Gaudreau people would be fawning over him.

Seanathon Monahands

you gotta score to win

Are we sure Monahan is the better offensive player?

Last 2 seasons:
Danault 5v5 P/60 - 2.26
Monahan 5v5 P/60 - 2.10

This despite Monahan playing alongside one of the best offensive wingers in the world...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Last 2 seasons:
Danault 5v5 P/60 - 2.26
Monahan 5v5 P/60 - 2.10

This despite Monahan playing alongside one of the best offensive wingers in the world...

Yes, PP also matters.

If you want to say 5 on 5 is very important, I don't even disagree, but Monahan has quite clearly demonstrated that he produces better overall offensive output. Until Danault outproduces him offensively, Monahan is the better offensive player.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Last 2 seasons:
Danault 5v5 P/60 - 2.26
Monahan 5v5 P/60 - 2.10

Considering Danault is a year and a half older and has 51 career NHL goals to Monahan's 204; we're pretty sure yeah.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Yes, PP also matters.

If you want to say 5 on 5 is very important, I don't even disagree, but Monahan has quite clearly demonstrated that he produces better overall offensive output. Until Danault outproduces him offensively, Monahan is the better offensive player.
Monahan plays over 200 minutes a season on the pp. Danault broke 100 minutes for the first time this season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Last 2 seasons:
Danault 5v5 P/60 - 2.26
Monahan 5v5 P/60 - 2.10

So their P/60 is nearly the same with Monahan having a down year and Danault having a career season. And this is without even factoring in Monahan's power play numbers. Not sure this is the best argument tbh.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I would take Danault because he's a more versatile match-up 2/3C center, which I think is more conducive to winning cups. Monahan you ultimately want to shelter in the playoffs as a 1B/2C. If either is you best center, you're not winning a cup though.

Reactions: Luckylarry

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yes, PP also matters.

That's an odd bar considering Monahan's linemates and usage vs Danault's. Danault had 16 more 5v5 points last season, but still had 1 less point because he played 91 less minutes on the PP. Give Danault Monahan's usage and he easily outscores him last year.

At the end of the day, I think they are pretty comparable offensively because I do believe Monahan is the better finisher and a great triggerman, especially on the PP (though I think its pretty clear that Danault was better offensively this past season).

But Danault completely blows him away in every other aspect of the game.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So their P/60 is nearly the same with Monahan having a down year and Danault having a career season. And this is without even factoring in Monahan's power play numbers. Not sure this is the best argument tbh.

This is over the last two years, which includes Monahan's career best year as well.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Monahan is by far the better player in the o zone, especially with puck on stick. Danault is better in all zones without the puck, but especially in the neutral and d zone. I’d take Monahan. Danault is a good defensive player (who puts up some points too) but he’s not anywhere near a Selke guy. If he was a Selke guy, then I’d prefer him.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I don’t like the way Gaudreau plays the game at all but the reason why Monahan is seen as an offensive player is due to playing with him. Monahan is not a true #1c and would be more valuable and better suited as a 2c. Fair poll but I’d go with Danault here.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So Monahan's best and worst year. While you specifically pulled Danault's two best years. Out of two of the last three years Monahan's P/60 is higher than Danault's at 5v5.
I pulled the last two years, which is a pretty large sample.

Did you know that in the 6 full seasons since Gaudreau's rookie year, Monahan's 5v5 p/60 without Gaudreau (~1,500 mins) is 1.38.

Danault has never been below 1.49 p/60 at 5v5 in any full season.

Without Gaudreau, Monahan has produced like a third line center. Danault has proven to produce like a high end 2C regardless of linemates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad