GDT: phicar

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Columbus v Detroit is the big one, and it's tied in the 3rd. Go dumpster fire!

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Aside from Detroit though, we still have games to play against the teams we're chasing- 1 each against Pittsburgh and TB, 2 against NJ and 3 against Boston. Not holding my breath on that TB one though

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Aside from Detroit though, we still have games to play against the teams we're chasing- 1 each against Pittsburgh and TB, 2 against NJ and 3 against Boston. Not holding my breath on that TB one though

We have a lot of games against team we own like TOR, NYI, OTT, and CBJ too

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Stole one. Feels good to be on the right side of that for once.

Also I'm glad someone else noticed Eric's lack of emotion after that goal. The insurance goal when you're clinging to hope for the playoffs is a big deal. There was once a time when he would have been screaming and jumping all over the ice, but tonight his reaction looked more like he had just spoiled a shutout in garbage time. It was curious, to say the least.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Stole one. Feels good to be on the right side of that for once.

Also I'm glad someone else noticed Eric's lack of emotion after that goal. The insurance goal when you're clinging to hope for the playoffs is a big deal. There was once a time when he would have been screaming and jumping all over the ice, but tonight his reaction looked more like he had just spoiled a shutout in garbage time. It was curious, to say the least.

Don't be ridiculous. Spoiling a shutout in garbage time requires an Eric Staal effort rarely seen, except when an ENG is looming.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Maybe hes just old now.

Eric isnt much older than me. 10+ years ago id be doing jumping jacks but these days I just figure how do we eventually lose this game?

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Via Michael Smith - "It's only happened 18 times this season, but the #Canes are 13-4-1 when being outshot by their opponents."

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I need to go to bed. But Sportscenter had one of Ward's saves on top 10 tonight. But ESPN thought it was Eddie Lack & not Wardo :laugh: Their comments on the save "Eddie Lack was not lacking"

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Via Michael Smith - "It's only happened 18 times this season, but the #Canes are 13-4-1 when being outshot by their opponents."

That's just bizarre. Is it a case of the goalies play better when they see more shots? or just some random fluke? Anyhow, good to break through on a couple of fronts last night. Winning a game in which they trailed after the 1st. Beating the Flyers. Ending Gostisbehere's streak. E. Staal getting a goal.

Speaking of E. Staal, I think his response after scoring was one more of relief that he finally scored, thus his lack of reaction. To me, he seems to get overly down on himself when he's in a slump (I remember Muller talking about him "squeezing the stick too hard" a few years back when he was in a slump and it was affecting him, etc..). He doesn't have a very outgoing personality to begin with either.

After seeing what the Sabres got for Weber and what the Leafs got for Polak, I really hope RF makes a few sell moves.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
That's just bizarre. Is it a case of the goalies play better when they see more shots? or just some random fluke? Anyhow, good to break through on a couple of fronts last night. Winning a game in which they trailed after the 1st. Beating the Flyers. Ending Gostisbehere's streak. E. Staal getting a goal.

Speaking of E. Staal, I think his response after scoring was one more of relief that he finally scored, thus his lack of reaction. To me, he seems to get overly down on himself when he's in a slump (I remember Muller talking about him "squeezing the stick too hard" a few years back when he was in a slump and it was affecting him, etc..). He doesn't have a very outgoing personality to begin with either.

After seeing what the Sabres got for Weber and what the Leafs got for Polak, I really hope RF makes a few sell moves.

It's not totally surprising for this team to have that record when being outshot. I'll try to do some research, but I'm guessing most of the wins are products of them being up early and holding on for dear life for 30-40 minutes.

I had the same reaction about Staal's goal reaction. I've seen it before from him when busting a long slump. This situation could be different though so it could be like the others have said as well. Only he knows.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's not totally surprising for this team to have that record when being outshot. I'll try to do some research, but I'm guessing most of the wins are products of them being up early and holding on for dear life for 30-40 minutes.

Yeah, you are probably right. I just recall another one like this one where they just looked like crap and still won (maybe against the Pens)? They may have gotten up early in that one, but I seem to recall the other team really dominating them throughout.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh

guinness-brilliant1.jpg

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Yeah, you are probably right. I just recall another one like this one where they just looked like crap and still won (maybe against the Pens)? They may have gotten up early in that one, but I seem to recall the other team really dominating them throughout.

7 wins were games they were leading or tied in shots going into the 3rd with a lead (or scored early in the 3rd), 3 other games they had the lead in the 1st and never gave it up. The other 3 were that Pens game you mentioned, last night, and then the Avalanche 1-0 win early in the year.

What's really amazing is that they only get outshot about 1/3 of the time.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I'm not at all surprised about the team having a better record when getting outshot due to becoming reserved when holding a lead. However the opposite is kind of astoundingly bad. The majority of games the Canes have either tied or led in shots however they have lost far, far more games that way. Just shows how terrible the offense was in the first two months of the season (surprise) and how shoddy the goaltending has been at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad