Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Travis Sanheim signs (2 years $3.25M AAV)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I love seeing the rare route of bridge deals ... Nice deal for both sides!

Great idea for Sanheim though cause this will set him up for a massive deal in a couple years.

Reactions: Devonator

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
I actually don't hate this. We are getting two years of probably very good play out of him for a fair price. Guys who prove to be top players end up getting paid; that is how business works. You can't go around signing every guy to long-term deals in which you are gambling he gets significantly better. This is totally fine.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I suspect we get punished for this later.

It'll probably help. When the bridge deal is up, Niskanen and Braun (along with the Gudas/A-Mac) contracts will be off the books. Seattle will grab a player from us (maybe JVR or Jake). We'll have plenty of money to resign him to a big deal.

Reactions: AlwaysSunny

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
It's not, though. Theres no bridge for Sanheim that is a good deal.

What? When we need to sign him long term, we'll basically have almost 20 million dollars in cap space coming off the books. Niskanen, Braun, the remainder of Amac (plus whoever goes to Seattle, cough JVR cough). It'll allow us to lock Konecny and Provorov up longer term as well.

Reactions: Larry44

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Noah Hanifin signed for $4.95 mil x 6 last Summer. Adjusted for cap inflation, that's ~$5.1 mil this Summer. Sanheim's bridge is worth $6.5 mil. In the 4 years after the bridge, he has to make $6.025 mil per to match the post-ELC earnings of Hanifin, adjusted for cap inflation as of 2019. Matt Dumba, who Fletcher also bridged, got a $6 mil AAV on a 5 year deal that I believe bought out two additional years of UFA last Summer. The reward in Sanheim gambling may not result in more money than he could have gotten on a long-term deal straight away.

I think this is Philadelphia's choice either because of skittishness in making that type of commitment and/or prioritization of short-term cap space.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
What? When we need to sign him long term, we'll basically have almost 20 million dollars in cap space coming off the books. Niskanen, Braun, the remainder of Amac (plus whoever goes to Seattle, cough JVR cough). It'll allow us to lock Konecny and Provorov up longer term as well.

Well also have no one under contract. But hey, who cares, at least we bridged our likely best defenseman in the future during the two years we srent really contending.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You're acting like he's a lock to put up 50+ points a season....

I didnt know 50 point defensemen were the only ones worth locking down to team friendly deals to have cap room to afford UFAs well likely need to sign in two years when no one was under contract.

Learn something new every day.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
The expansion rules are always a little gray to me. Do RFAs need to be protected?

1st and 2nd year pros are exempt (that includes players finishing their second year, since the expansion draft is in June). Going off memory so this may not be spot on, 18 and 19 year olds burn a pro season by playing >10 NHL games and 20+ year olds burn a season as long if they play at least 1 AHL or NHL game.

Sanheim will be a 5th year pro in 2020-21 so he'll definitely be eligible (age 20 AHL season, age 21 AHL/NHL season, and three full NHL seasons).

Last edited:

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Well also have no one under contract. But hey, who cares, at least we bridged our likely best defenseman in the future during the two years we srent really contending.

Right Provorov, Myers, Ghost, then a resigned long term Sanheim, hopefully York is ready to step in. Leaves 1 spot on defense. Signing Sanheim long term now, leaves the Flyers in a bad cap position for the next 2 seasons. No chance at upgrading the team if we do become Cup contenders.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
It'll probably help. When the bridge deal is up, Niskanen and Braun (along with the Gudas/A-Mac) contracts will be off the books. Seattle will grab a player from us (maybe JVR or Jake). We'll have plenty of money to resign him to a big deal.

I don't disagree, but the team may end up paying more to retain at that point in virtue of doing it this way instead.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Seems like more young guys are betting on themselves rather than taking the guaranteed money with these shorter deals, sucks for the teams with good young RFA's, you really need to lock some of these guys up to long term deals that are steals if they turn out near their ceilings or the cap catches up in a hurry. I'm sure that I'm more sensitive to it now that it's happening to my team, but you'd like to see a team that took their time assembling a bunch of really good young assets through the draft rewarded with a long compete window with those young horses leading the way, rather than having to choose between them

Reactions: Dumais

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Right Provorov, Myers, Ghost, then a resigned long term Sanheim, hopefully York is ready to step in. Leaves 1 spot on defense. Signing Sanheim long term now, leaves the Flyers in a bad cap position for the next 2 seasons. No chance at upgrading the team if we do become Cup contenders.

We already have no chance of upgrading externally, without additional roster moves. Next years RFAs arent going to make next off season any easier, either. Roughly, you can expect to give Brauns money to Myers or Patrick.

Tying Sanheim down before he displays more than a half seasons worth of very good play allows you to get him cheaper so that 3 years from now, we arent paying him top rates. Its what's allowing teams like Preds (Josi), and Toronto (Rielly) to have open windows. While the teams younger players are ready.

The only way this deal is justifiable is he can convince TK or Provorov to sign long term and cheap.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
We already have no chance of upgrading externally, without additional roster moves. Next years RFAs arent going to make next off season any easier, either. Roughly, you can expect to give Brauns money to Myers or Patrick.

Tying Sanheim down before he displays more than a half seasons worth of very good play allows you to get him cheaper so that 3 years from now, we arent paying him top rates. Its what's allowing teams like Preds (Josi), and Toronto (Rielly) to have open windows. While the teams younger players are ready.

The only way this deal is justifiable is he can convince TK or Provorov to sign long term and cheap.

Completely agree with that. I think he can sign both long term. TK is more likely to be "cheap" while Provorov probably isn't.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
This a bridge that I expected. He could be asking for 7-8m on his next deal. Hell of a player, let's see if he reaches his ceiling.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

So how much would you have given him over 8 years? I'm curious to see what kind of figure you think he takes.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The way this deal is justifiable is if Sanheim told the team he didn't want to sign a long-term deal. Given that logic dictates that the team would want him long-term, and that's not the deal he signed, evidence points to him not wanting to sign long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad