Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Travis Sanheim signs (2 years $3.25M AAV)

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Good deal for both sides. I assumed one or both of Sanheim and Konecny would sign bridge deals. Hopefully Provorov and Konecny now sign for 5-8 years each.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Great for the Flyers. I was expecting around 5 million per season. But to sign him to a bridge deal is amazing. In 2 years we'll be through with Braun and Niskanen as well as the Seattle expansion draft.

Reactions: Bob Clarke Fan Club

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Dumb. They should have locked him up long term now. The next contract is gonna be huge.

I'm sure Sanheim's people wanted a fortune to agree to lengthy term. I'm thinking the Flyers want to get their ducks in a row as much as possible by July 1st so they can see what else they can do. Plus, they'll probably need to concede on a Provorov deal.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Dumb. They should have locked him up long term now. The next contract is gonna be huge.
There is an irony in your post. You assume it was an option and you would have done better?

I like the theory man, we would like all our guys locked up to 8 years to but reality is you need to be prepared for hold outs if you are going to be that inflexible which is a dangerous game with young players, and on a team presumably hoping to make the playoffs.

Your post implies there is only one side in the negotiations which is obviously not the case.

GM's make mistakes every day but never assume you understand the situation better than them, it comes off as...I'm sure you can think of a word.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Week ago i referred Brandon Montours contract as something Sanheim would likely sign. They both had 1 full, 30+ point season under their belts and had started to break into the top 4, however there's some uncertainty how good of a player are we talking about in the end.

Montour signed 2 years 3.387M AAV, so it ended up being pretty much the same deal.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The expansion rules are always a little gray to me. Do RFAs need to be protected?

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
This is the bridge deal I expected, timing works out so that Niskanen will be gone. I think this is a safe signing by Fletcher, it would probably be difficult to sign him longer.
I would have been ecstatic if this was 4-5 years, but this will do.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The expansion rules are always a little gray to me. Do RFAs need to be protected?

Exemption in Expansion draft has nothing to do with the Expiry Status of a contract. It's all about NHL experience/professional games. Sanheim already has 3 full pro years so he would have to be protected regardless of his expiry status.

And what if he didn't want to sign long-term right now?

For an extreme example, would he have taken a long-term deal like 8x8? Probably. There's a negotiation process. Fletcher seems to have caved, he had some time to work on a longer term deal.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Good deal, personally I would have gone long term. They have the space and should have gone 6-8 IMO.

Congrats Philly fans!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad