Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is Appel bombing or something? That seems crazy to me from the Astros side

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

He must be. Lunhow is one of the best scouting guys in the last 20 years so he of all people would know when you should trade a prospect. Plus with the kind of staff he has, they must have seen something they didn't like.

So now the 'Stros only have one of their three 1st overall picks.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.

Here's a quote from Steve Adams

"Appel, the number one pick in the 2013 draft, has experienced mixed success in the minors. The 24-year-old reached Triple-A and posted a 4.48 ERA with 8.03 K/9 and 3.69 BB/9. MLB.com ranked Appel as the Astro’s second best prospect between 2015 draft picks Alex Bregman and Daz Cameron. His fastball velocity has been inconsistent in the minors, ranging from the low-90s to to 98 mph. He also throws a plus slider and a changeup."

Like Velasquez, seems like a hit or miss. Could either be a stud or a dud. Time will tell.

It sounds like Appel and Velasquez had to be in the deal for the Phillies to accept it. When this trade was reported, it was reported starting pitching was next on their list. With them dealing Obie, Velasquez and Appel, I wonder if they're about to get someone(Kazmir,Gallardo, or someone else)which would have prevented those 3 to crack the Astros starting rotation for a couple of years.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
If things break right for the Phillies in this trade with Velasquez and Appel, Houston is going to look even worse in a few years for sending this package.

Before I was saying I could understand the overpayment from Houston's perspective, and on one level it still makes sense in that it's not hurting the current team, but a 5-for-2 swap, even with some boom or bust prospects, is massive for a closer. All I can think is that it's too bad the Pirates didn't have Melancon locked up for a few more years.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
what the hell?

i know appel has been far from lights out in the minors but to give up on him after 2 years? what's with all the #1 overall picks getting dealt suddenly? phillies did well here

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Klentak is spectacular. At worst, Appel and Velasquez could be dominant bullpen pieces.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

"Appel, the number one pick in the 2013 draft, has experienced mixed success in the minors. The 24-year-old reached Triple-A and posted a 4.48 ERA with 8.03 K/9 and 3.69 BB/9. MLB.com ranked Appel as the Astro’s second best prospect between 2015 draft picks Alex Bregman and Daz Cameron. His fastball velocity has been inconsistent in the minors, ranging from the low-90s to to 98 mph. He also throws a plus slider and a changeup."

Like Velasquez, seems like a hit or miss. Could either be a stud or a dud. Time will tell.

It sounds like Appel and Velasquez had to be in the deal for the Phillies to accept it. When this trade was reported, it was reported starting pitching was next on their list. With them dealing Obie, Velasquez and Appel, I wonder if they're about to get someone(Kazmir,Gallardo, or someone else)which would have prevented those 3 to crack the Astros starting rotation for a couple of years.

'Stros stil have Kuechel and McCullers as young arms already in the majors and have plenty of good young position prospects. they also got guys like Springer or Singleton they could move for pitching. Plus an owner with $$$$ when the times right to snag a free agent ace.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Woah, the Phillies got Appel. High reward low risk. Nice.

Trading Arauz hurts, but ideally Crawford is the SS for the nest 10 years.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He must be. Lunhow is one of the best scouting guys in the last 20 years so he of all people would know when you should trade a prospect. Plus with the kind of staff he has, they must have seen something they didn't like.

So now the 'Stros only have one of their three 1st overall picks.

If you're 24 and you're not there yet, much less as a #1 overall pick, it's getting late early. And if you're a contender like the Astros have become, where you're trying to add big pieces, prospects with red flags can have their value go off a cliff. Seemed like a good time to move Appel if they weren't sure they could use him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad