Trade: [PHI/HOU] Ken Giles to HOU for Velasquez, Oberholtzer, Appel & others

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Houston gets Ken Giles from Philly for Vince Velasquez, Brett Oberholtzer and Derek F

pending physicals

I don't know much about prospects but some Astros fans are bummed about losing Fisher. But with Tucker and Cameron in the system, I guess they were comfortable trading Fisher away. Vasquez was ok in his time in Houston. He's injury prone so he may or may not become a stud pitcher. Oberholtzer = meh for me.

Happy with the trade.

Another twitter feed has 3 pitchers + 1 position player. Hmmmm

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Sucks to see 100 MPH Giles go, but he is kind of useless here. Seems like a good return.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This. And it's not like an unknown quantity at the big leagues they are giving up, Velasquez has proven he can pitch in the bigs. And there is a lot more.

Yeah it's not the smartest asset management.

Ober is garbage so alot depends on Fisher.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
At least is not that big overpayment but it's not ideal. Fisher is future really good player, Velasquez could be #1 pitcher. Oberholtzer was expendable for Houston. I like Klentak already.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Big package for a reliever but all the Astros are thinking is that they probably win Game 5 against the Royals if they could bring Giles in.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
As much as I like Giles. I am against trading quality assets for a reliever.

This. And it's not like an unknown quantity at the big leagues they are giving up, Velasquez has proven he can pitch in the bigs. And there is a lot more.

Yeah it's not the smartest asset management.

Ober is garbage so alot depends on Fisher.
A couple of things didn't help out...

1)What the Padres got for Kimbrel.

2)Even though Gregerson was doing okay, at the trade deadline, they were looking for an upgrade.

3)When they failed at the trade deadline, going into the off season, reports of them still looking for a closer. Then reports of "Astros hell bent on getting a closer" going in to winter meetings made them look like they were desperate. Other teams knew they really wanted a closer which gave them the right to ask for a lot.

4)Giles being under team control for the next couple of years for a low price.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I would've moved Josh Fields into the closers role and acquired a cheaper reliever to replace him before moving some of my top prospects for a closer.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Gregerson wilts under pressure no matter the inning. I know his stats are usually always decent, but it's uncanny how much he blows it in critical situations.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Big package for a reliever but all the Astros are thinking is that they probably win Game 5 against the Royals if they could bring Giles in.
Absolutely. Yes. This. Gregerson, Neshek, Qualls, and whatever other average to below average arms they have just can't be trusted to get the job done when it matters.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Love this trade for the Phillies. Count me in as someone who doesn't get trading tons of prospects for relievers, no matter how cheap or good they are.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Love this trade for the Phillies. Count me in as someone who doesn't get trading tons of prospects for relievers, no matter how cheap or good they are.

You trade for guys like Giles when you're a good team that has a suspect bullpen. They have Giles last year and Kc is out in 4.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm also firmly in the camp of never trade multiple valuable prospects for a reliever, but at least in this specific case, it looks palatable from Houston's perspective. I could be way out of my league here, but Velasquez seems a notch below McCullers and has some more question marks. Oberholzer is filler, and Fisher is from a position of depth.

It's not ideal at all to trade a Velasquez, but this is also nowhere near what Boston got for Kimbrel, and Giles is way less expensive, increasing his value quite a bit. It's a good trade for the Phillies for obvious reasons. Maybe not the best they could have done, but there aren't a ton of teams pursuing a closer, and they tapped into one of the teams with a more quality prospect depth to spread some more youth into their system.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00